Virus question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus question

The last two times I've restarted my computer, my Norton anti-virus says the Backdoor.Graybird virus was detected and the file it infected was deleted. I then run a scan of my computer and it comes up clean.

So, I restart my computer and this virus warning pops up again, saying it deleted the same file this virus detected.

Does this mean the virus is gone? And if so, why do I get this same warning after I restart?
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img]

NOT laughing at you.

I work for a guy, do computer tech work for him.
    I walked in today and the first thing he says is that he has a virus, something called Backdoor.Graybird

It must be going around.

Symantec says it is easily fixed, turn of system restore and run Norton.

I am going back in the morning and doing all of his machines.
    If you don't have it fixed by tomorrow I'll let you know the results of my work.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I believe you have to edit the registry too, as the virus simply reloads itself remotely.

And this thing can be irritating to be rid of.
      "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
      "I didn't know you
      had any feelings"

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 16 2005, 05:52 PM) Quoted post

NOT laughing at you.

I walked in today and the first thing he says is that he has a virus, something called Backdoor.Graybird

It must be going around.

If you don't have it fixed by tomorrow I'll let you know the results of my work.
        [/b][/quote]

After I turn off system restore, should I restart and then run Norton?

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 16 2005, 05:58 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I'd say you need to do what Symantec tells you to do.
          "I didn't know you
          had any feelings"

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 16 2005, 05:52 PM) Quoted post

NOT laughing at you.

It must be going around.

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Yes, turn off Sys. Restore
            Then run anti-virus, delete files if found
            clean out recylce bin

connect Sys. Restore again

Comment

QUOTE(SunuvaNun @ Sep 16 2005, 05:59 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I'd say you need to do what Symantec tells you to do.
              [/b][/quote]

++

They give good easy to follow instructions.
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Does anyone know how to restart Windows XP in safe mode?

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 16 2005, 08:03 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  Hold down F8 as the computer is starting up I believe
                  Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                  "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Tap the F8 key while the PC is starting up...

Comment

QUOTE(Ohio Blues @ Sep 16 2005, 07:04 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 16 2005, 08:03 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                      Hold down F8 as the computer is starting up I believe
                      [/b][/quote]

Thanks, I'll try that.

Comment

Just wondering. Do any of the tech people here have experience with Cisco Clean Access?

Basically, when it tells me to update Norton, I try to do so, but it says I don't have admin access. It only does this when Cisco Clean access is telling me to. If I update Norton on my own, no problems. I am forced every time to do virus updates manually.

Anyone know of a way to get around this thing or fix my problem?
                        Billikens.com

Comment

if this is the place for computer mysteries then I have one too.

my computer at home recently stopped booting to the hard drive. it just stopped booting to anything unless I go to the system startup thing (F12) and tell it to boot to the hard drive. then everything is normal. I never changed anything and I guess I could figure out how to fix it by telling to to default to the hard drive again or whatever, right? but why would it have changed on its own like this?
                          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 16 2005, 07:15 PM) Quoted post

my computer at home recently stopped booting to the hard drive. it just stopped booting to anything unless I go to the system startup thing (F12) and tell it to boot to the hard drive. then everything is normal. I never changed anything and I guess I could figure out how to fix it by telling to to default to the hard drive again or whatever, right? but why would it have changed on its own like this?
                            [/b][/quote]

Hmmm, will it boot to floppy?
                            If not I suspect it's the CMOS battery, if so then there's something more mysterious afoot.

QUOTE(SluSignGuy @ Sep 16 2005, 07:11 PM) Quoted post

Just wondering. Do any of the tech people here have experience with Cisco Clean Access?

Basically, when it tells me to update Norton, I try to do so, but it says I don't have admin access. It only does this when Cisco Clean access is telling me to. If I update Norton on my own, no problems. I am forced every time to do virus updates manually.

Anyone know of a way to get around this thing or fix my problem?
                            [/b][/quote]

I can tell you how to hack into CCA, especially if the powers that be haven't figured out how to patch it...that probably won't help your situation however.
                            You'll probably need to inform you network administrator or some such. Chances are someone else is having the same problem. Off the top of my head I'd say either the permissions are hosed or everyone but you got a Norton software update and the CCA is told only to allow "X.x.x" version through.
                            "I didn't know you
                            had any feelings"

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 16 2005, 08:15 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

That happened to my previous computer just before the drive died...

Comment

Working...
                              X