Ohio State Fans/Students Continue To Take Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Fans/Students Continue To Take Heat

I will say this, I was drunk and edgy, but I wasn't going to say anything to someone who unless they initiated it, and impressively, Texas fans were pretty quiet. The only interaction I had w/ Texas fans after the game was exchanging thoughts on the game.

With that said, this article mentions High St. quite a bit, I feel the need to let everyone know, that once you cross High St. you are getting into the heart of where the students live and have been drinking all day. If Texas fans were warned, to stay away from there, OR they could not realize when they parked their car, they were parked next to a house with 100 people in the front yard doing keg stands and beer bongs could be a potential problem at midnight when they were walking back to their cars, then thats their own stupid fucking fault.

It doesn't matter where you are, if you are an opposing fan and you find yourself walking through a residential area on a college campus after a game like the one Saturday, plain and simply you are an idiot, and you are in danger. It's not just at Ohio State.

COMMENTARY
    Tale of boorish fan regrettably not an isolated case near OSU
    Friday, September 16, 2005
    BOB HUNTER

While reading Sean Adams’ column about the rude behavior of some Ohio State fans on the Texas fan Web site Orangebloods.com, the immortal words of prune-faced Dean Wormer to Kent "Flounder" Dorfman in the movie Animal House kept rattling around my brain.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son," the dour dean of fictitious Faber College said.

Wisdom can be found in curious places, eh?

I didn’t see the knucklehead who Adams says walked up to a 65- to 70-year-old woman in Texas gear after the game Saturday and followed a loud "I don’t care if Texas won or not . . ." with an obscene suggestion of what she could do next, but given Columbus’ annual top-20 ranking among Men’s Fitness magazine’s "fattest cities" in America, I’m guessing this dope hit the trifecta.

I’m sure he won’t read this — why read when Cartoon Network is on 24/7? — but shaming one nitwit wouldn’t solve the problem, anyway. Adams’ angry chronicle of his Saturday night in Columbus was another one of those signs that a) the world is full of idiots and b) Ohio State football is just a tad too important to some people.

It also tells me that the only way to rein in this stuff is by having the good fans — and there are a lot more of you than them — challenge these insufferable boobs to stop.

To be fair, a lot of the things Adams wrote about happened after the game, and much of it occurred away from the stadium, in that postgame war zone we call High Street. Other than getting hit in the head with a water bottle inside the Horseshoe, Adams conceded that the fans there were generally pretty nice, and one lady seated near him even bade him farewell with the comment, "Good game, guys. Be careful. We are not too nice after a loss."

Or after a win, for that matter. But that was a good introduction to the cab Adams and his friends shared back to their car. At one point, gridlocked traffic persuaded the cab driver to take a detour up an alley near High, and Adams said some clown stuck his head in the window, called the two young women seated next to him obscene names and began exhorting him to perform a sexual act.

"He wouldn’t go away and he kept telling me to come on," Adams said by phone yesterday. "The way things were going, I figured the best thing was to just take it until he went away."

Adams said other Texas fans also told him horror stories. Many of the Longhorns fans had congregated before the game at a sports bar on High Street, and they had to go back there to get their cars.

"I’m sure there are lots of nice fans there," Adams said. "Going home, I met a woman from Columbus on the plane home who lived in Austin, and she said that if we had stayed around the stadium, some Ohio State fans probably would have invited us to tailgate with them. She said going to High Street was our mistake."

Well, maybe. Those cruel emails that tight end Ryan Hamby received for dropping a pass in the end zone tells you that the moron quotient among Ohio State fans is pretty high, even in cyberspace. But history does tell us that most of the unruly behavior occurs near High Street and that most of the perpetrators aren’t even people who attended the game.

Remember the midnight ruckus after the win over Michigan two years ago? People burned enough couches to send stock in furniture companies soaring and persuaded Ohio State officials that they needed to crack down on pregame drinking.

That effectively stopped the forty-something corporate CEO from having two beers with his wife and neighbors at his tailgate, but it did nothing about the hooligans roaming the campus area that night looking for somebody to curse.

This is hardly an isolated incident, either. Two friends of mine from Michigan came to Columbus last year for their first Michigan-Ohio State game. They had a good time engaging a little good-natured razzing in Columbus bars the night before the game, and were fine with it until the game ended. Then they said they were absolutely brutalized by drunks and dimwits on the way to their cars after the game.

"It got so bad, I was actually glad Michigan lost," one of them told me that night. "It was scary. I can’t imagine what it would have been like if Ohio State had lost."

Now we know. [/b][/quote]
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Nate,

I'm a Texas fan. Unfortunately, this is a social issue, not relegated to Columbus, Ohio. This can and will happen in every city in America.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Adams’ angry chronicle of his Saturday night in Columbus was another one of those signs that a) the world is full of idiots and b) Ohio State football is just a tad too important to some people. [/b][/quote]

Doesn't matter where people parked. They shouldn't be abused just because the home team lost.

It's a game, remember?
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Sep 16 2005, 12:57 PM) Quoted post

Nate,

I'm a Texas fan. Unfortunately, this is a social issue, not relegated to Columbus, Ohio. This can and will happen in every city in America.
        [/b][/quote]

I went to a Blues-Blackhawks game at Chicago Stadium in 1994 and ended getting pelted with 3 hot dogs.

Good times.
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

You are right, but it doesn't work that way, and you know it.

I've traveled to numerous places for numerous sporting events as the "road team" (NCAA, MLB, NFL, NHL) and I've had minor incidents (usually while in the stadium you can be as loud and as passionate as you want and you'll only get minimal feedback, the problems usually start by over zealous fans when they leave the venues), but I am careful to avoid the areas that I know I'm not welcome in, someone will usually make it clear that you need to either shut your mouth, or walk a different direction, because you are headed to a place that is dangerous for yourself...again, if you decide to show how big your balls are by parking in the heart of the residential areas on campus, then your stupidity becomes a major issue in the whole scenario. Something tells me if you saw the area north of High St. on a gameday, you would agree that there is no reason whatsoever why an opposing fan should be headed that way...whether its right or wrong isn't the issue (of course its ridiculous for things to be taken to a level where someone feels threatened over a sporting event, but it happens), avoid the situation.
          You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

It's a social problem and its wrong. People leaving a sporting event should be able to feel safe in large groups.

However, visiting fans need to be smart. When I go another stadium for a game I'm respectful and just ignore the banter when I'm walking back to my hotel or car.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 16 2005, 03:40 PM) Quoted post

Nate,

[/b][/quote]

I went to a Blues-Blackhawks game at Chicago Stadium in 1994 and ended getting pelted with 3 hot dogs.

Good times.
              [/b][/quote]

homo.

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

Guess we should have known better than to stand in the 7-11 parking lot across the street from the stadium...

Comment

QUOTE(Prngr44 @ Sep 16 2005, 01:49 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 16 2005, 03:40 PM) Quoted post

Nate,

[/b][/quote]

Good times.
                  [/b][/quote]

homo.
                  [/b][/quote]

I heard that, too.
                  RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                  You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 16 2005, 12:52 PM) Quoted post

Guess we should have known better than to stand in the 7-11 parking lot across the street from the stadium...
                    [/b][/quote]

Actually, you weren't across the street from the Stadium, you were standing in the heart of the Ohio State pre-game at Hineygate, where the only thing anyone does is drink.

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Sep 16 2005, 01:56 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 16 2005, 12:52 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Actually, you weren't across the street from the Stadium, you were standing in the heart of the Ohio State pre-game at Hineygate, where the only thing anyone does is drink.
                      [/b][/quote]

Sorry, it's a little hazy. All I was doing was drinking.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 16 2005, 01:40 PM) Quoted post

Nate,

[/b][/quote]

Good times.
                        [/b][/quote]

I almost had a throw-down with some Blackhawk fans here back 1991 in an Arena parking lot. If it had not been their 2 to my 1 with my girlfriend there...there would have been. As it was it was just words.
                        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Speaking of Chicago...

I was supposed to go to game 4 of the Blues-Blackhawks series the year when Brent Johnson got 3 straight shutouts and the Blues won the series, anyway, I skipped out at the last minute, because something came up.

Anyway, my friends were there and had been dealing with shit talking and trash being thrown at them all game, this was a series clinching game for the Blues, and as time ran down in the 3rd period, (it was like the last 10 seconds) they were celebrating the series win and they got attacked from behind by like 6 people, one of my friends got pushed down 4 rows of chairs and got his head stomped on, from everything I've heard it sounds like it was a major brawl...

Hockey games in Chicago are rough.

Comment

I wore my Blues jersey to the bleachers for a Cubs/Cards game that week. Good times.

Comment

so, we're blaming a grandmother for not being savy or dorky enough cause she didn't know where to properly park?

Comment

Working...
                              X