My Master's Thesis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Master's Thesis...

I'm going to pursue a project on political behavior and biology, of which an interesting survey was recently completed and published in APSR, only in the subdiscpline of IR.

Specifically, it would examine whether there's some sort of marker for those who choose to join the military and those who don't. The ramifications of this research could be huge -- perhaps things are different in different countries -- and it definitely would help us better us understand genetics and political science.

Guppy, you're up first for examination..

Thoughts..
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Sep 16 2005, 10:02 AM) Quoted post

I'm going to pursue a project on political behavior and biology, of which an interesting survey was recently completed and published in APSR, only in the subdiscpline of IR.

Specifically, it would examine whether there's some sort of marker for those who choose to join the military and those who don't. The ramifications of this research could be huge -- perhaps things are different in different countries -- and it definitely would help us better us understand genetics and political science.

Thoughts..
    [/b][/quote]

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

QUOTE(jhanke @ Sep 16 2005, 10:04 AM) Quoted post

Thoughts..
      [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I think it's funny when people malign the stupid celebrity threads, but won't talk about anything intellectual.

Go back to Britney and don't bitch if it bores you.
      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Comment

Start with socio-economic status. Beyond that, my bet is that recruiters can give you 5 good traits, even if they haven't read a study on it.
        No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
        President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
        President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Sep 16 2005, 10:06 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(jhanke @ Sep 16 2005, 10:04 AM) Quoted post

Thoughts..
          [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I think it's funny when people malign the stupid celebrity threads, but won't talk about anything intellectual.

Go back to Britney and don't bitch if it bores you.
          [/b][/quote]
          lighten up, it was a joke!

Sorry to get your .... nevermind

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

QUOTE(mw.2 @ Sep 16 2005, 10:08 AM) Quoted post

Start with socio-economic status. Beyond that, my bet is that recruiters can give you 5 good traits, even if they haven't read a study on it.
            [/b][/quote]

Start with socio-economic status in terms of...can you elaborate? I'd appreciate it.

Of course, recruiters will be able to describe phenotypic traits, but perhaps there is something genetic as well, which would be the fundamental crux of the research.

Comment

I think a sense of family tradition might have something to do with it.

I come from a military family dating back to the Civil War. Some members of my family have felt it should be their duty to enlist.
              RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
              You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Can I correctly assume you're talking about the Alford / Hibbing research?
                On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 16 2005, 10:14 AM) Quoted post

Can I correctly assume you're talking about the Alford / Hibbing research?
                  [/b][/quote]

Yep. I really wanted to hear your thoughts as well as Infidel.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Sep 16 2005, 10:12 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(mw.2 @ Sep 16 2005, 10:08 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Start with socio-economic status in terms of...can you elaborate? I'd appreciate it.

Of course, recruiters will be able to describe phenotypic traits, but perhaps there is something genetic as well, which would be the fundamental crux of the research.
                    [/b][/quote]

You could look to see if there are family and/or twin studies (identical vs. fraternal) on enlistment.
                    No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true

I'm a war president

Comment

you want to talk to my friend who used to be a recruiter for the Marines? (now she's an instructor)
                      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Not sure there's anything out there. A quick look on PsychInfo turns of a number of genetic studies done on vets, but nothing comparing military to non-military. Here's an example:

Title Familial resemblance in components of the Type A behavior pattern: A reanalysis of the California Type A twin study.
                        Source Psychosomatic Medicine. Vol 46(6) Nov-Dec 1984, 512-522.
                        Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, US
                        Abstract Reanalyzed the available structured interview (SI) responses from the sample used by R. H. Rosenman et al (1974) in their work on heritability of personality and behavior patterns. In this subsample, tape recorded interviews with 80 monozygotic and 80 dizygotic twin pairs were scored for the extent of self-reported Type A (coronary prone) behaviors, the major speech stylistics considered to be indicative of Pattern A, and the observable Type A behaviors (e.g., signs of hostility). All Ss participating in the study were White males and American veterans of World War II and/or the Korean conflict. They were between 42 and 56 yrs of age. Scores for the major dimensions measured by the SI were calculated, and scores for which there were sufficient data were subjected to twin analyses by the method of J. C. Christian et al (1974). These analyses showed that individual differences in the Clinical Ratings factor and certain ratings loading on it--specifically, loudness of speech, competition for control of the interview, and potential for hostility--might have a heritable component. Results are discussed in the context of the importance of hostility as a predictor of subsequent coronary heart disease events as well as of total mortality, other data on the heritability of emotionality, and a temperament approach to understanding the origins of the Type A behavior pattern. (28 ref) (PsycINFO Database Record © 2004 APA, all rights reserved)

I'm a war president

Comment

I don't think you find any common genetic traits in todays complete standing army.

Now, if you were to take that contained sample and researched common traits by MOS...
                          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

There's just so much work in this area that political scientists should be doing rather than yet another essay on the democratic peace theory.

I'm in class with a bunch of idiots (e.g. criminal justice graduate students) and I asked a question that required a mathematical explanation.

And the other five people in my class said, "MATH! NO!" Literally.

America is fucked in about 10-15 years, when we're an entire country of CJers, Communications majors, and adults who can't stand and don't know mathematics.

Comment

i blame bush
                              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
                              X