Leading in HR, RBI and making the playoffs means MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leading in HR, RBI and making the playoffs means MVP

Everyone knows that I think it would be laughable if Andruw Jones actually won the MVP but, for my own knowledge, I decided to do a little research. I wanted to know how many guys have led his league in both and homers and RBI, and also made the playoffs, in the same season. And I wanted to know how many of these guys won the MVP (since 1931, when the award was established by the BBWAA). I wanted to know this because barring a surge by someone else combined with a collapse of his own, Andruw Jones is going to lead the NL in both categories and his team is going to the playoffs.

The results aren't unsurprising.

There have been 20 such players and 17 have won the MVP. The three exceptions are both Albert Belle and Dante Bichette in 1995 and Larry Doby in 1954.

It has been suggested that the voters penalized Belle for being a dick and I have to say, I think that's probably true. The only category in which the actual MVP, Mo Vaughn, was even comparable to Belle was RBI, where they tied with 126. Belle had a higher batting average (.317 to 300), hit more homers (50 to 39), a higher slugging percentage (.690 to .575), a better OBP (.401 to .388), and scored more runs (121 to 98). Belle led the AL in slugging, runs, homers, RBI, total bases, doubles, and extra base hits, yet somehow didn't win it. I think it's pretty clear why. Well, there's no documented instances of Andruw Jones being a dick to the media to help Pujols' case.

Dante Bichette was penalized because he played in the thin air of Denver. Of his 40 homers, 36 came at home. Unlike Larry Walker in 1997, whose numbers were outstanding on the road, Bichette's were mediocre on the road so the voters determined he wasn't really that good and that his numbers were artifically inflated.

As for Doby, my first instinct is to say that at the time the voters wouldn't vote for a black player. But with that in mind, Jackie Robinson won in 1949. So I'm not sure entirely about his case.

David Ortiz leads the AL in both homers and RBI. He stands a much better chance of being the fourth exception to this than Jones does because he's a DH and will undoubtedly lose some votes because of it.

Anyway, unfortunately, my conclusion is that Jones is going to be the MVP, no matter how much more deserving Pujols is.

THIS LIST (led league in homers, RBI, and made the playoffs)
    1997-A - Ken Griffey, Jr.
    1995-N - Dante Bichette (MVP: Barry Larkin)
    1995-A - Albert Belle (MVP: Mo Vaughn)
    1989-N - Kevin Mitchell
    1988-A - Jose Canseco
    1981-N - Mike Schmidt
    1980-N - Mike Schmidt
    1973-A - Reggie Jackson
    1972-N - Johnny Bench
    1970-N - Johnny Bench
    1969-A - Harmon Killebrew
    1967-A - Carl Yastrzemski (tied for lead in homers)
    1966-A - Frank Robinson
    1961-A - Roger Maris
    1957-N - Hank Aaron
    1956-A - Mickey Mantle
    1954-A - Larry Doby (MVP: Yogi Berra)
    1941-N - Dolph Camilli
    1940-A - Hank Greenberg
    1935-A - Hank Greenberg (tied for lead in homers)

It's the word "value"....
    To many people Andruw has been more valuable to Atlanta than Pujols has been to St. Louis.
    Pujols may be the better player, might have a better average, but those two things don't mean Value.

I think it's gonna be a close vote, and who ever wins deserves it.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

The "Most Valuable Player" award ought to be changed to "Best Player" award. Then we can do away with all of this nonsense over "value."

Moon

Comment

As long as Albert is shown holding the one trophy that truly counts, then they can take the MVP award, and stick it.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Sep 16 2005, 07:20 AM) Quoted post

As long as Albert is shown holding the one trophy that truly counts, then they can take the MVP award, and stick it.
          [/b][/quote]
          IF.

I agree, Kev. But if he doesn't he, again, is left holding nothing for yet another trememdous year of efforts.

Jones will undoubtedly win 2 of the 3 triple crown categories. Sadly, the MVP is definitely his to lose. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Although receiving his weekly check helps soothe the sting, I'm sure.
          "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I hope AP wins the MVP. But IMO, that award is a joke. Having Dawson win it for a last place team in 87, has left a permament bad taste in my mouth, in regards to what it truly stands for.

Comment

QUOTE(devaskar @ Sep 16 2005, 03:44 AM) Quoted post

THIS LIST (led league in homers, RBI, and made the playoffs)
              1997-A - Ken Griffey, Jr.
              1995-N - Dante Bichette (MVP: Barry Larkin)
              1995-A - Albert Belle (MVP: Mo Vaughn)
              1989-N - Kevin Mitchell
              1988-A - Jose Canseco
              1981-N - Mike Schmidt
              1980-N - Mike Schmidt
              1973-A - Reggie Jackson
              1972-N - Johnny Bench
              1970-N - Johnny Bench

1969-A - Harmon Killebrew
              1967-A - Carl Yastrzemski (tied for lead in homers)
              1966-A - Frank Robinson
              1961-A - Roger Maris
              1957-N - Hank Aaron
              1956-A - Mickey Mantle

1954-A - Larry Doby (MVP: Yogi Berra)
              1941-N - Dolph Camilli
              1940-A - Hank Greenberg
              1935-A - Hank Greenberg (tied for lead in homers)
              [/b][/quote]

Another way of digesting those numbers is to say that 14 of those 20 players was the best player on the best team, just like Albert. If we include Belle (who, as noted, was really the MVP), it's 15/20.

If you throw out 1981 and 1995, and I think you should, it's 14/18.

So, out of 18 times the HR/RBI leader has won the MVP, only 4 times was it won by the guy not considered to be the best player on the best team.

Prediction: The late media push for Jones may enable him to jump over Lee for second place.

Albert will win the MVP.
              But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

It's time for Andruw to drop a urine sample.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 16 2005, 04:04 AM) Quoted post

To many people Andruw has been more valuable to Atlanta than Pujols has been to St. Louis.
                  Pujols may be the better player, might have a better average, but those two things don't mean Value.

[/b][/quote]

Don't know if I agree with this. Take Pujols out of this lineup and because of all the injuries, you're looking at a AAA lineup for most of the season.
                  Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 16 2005, 08:17 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 16 2005, 04:04 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Don't know if I agree with this. Take Pujols out of this lineup and because of all the injuries, you're looking at a AAA lineup for most of the season.
                    [/b][/quote]
                    that's correct.
                    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Pujols has been the better player than Jones all season, therefore he's provided more value to his team all season. It's as simple as that really.

Now Lee vs. Pujols is another discussion.

Comment

plus if you play bad, I think Pujols beats you up. he gives incentives to his team mates to play good.

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 16 2005, 09:12 AM) Quoted post

plus if you play bad, I think Pujols beats you up. he gives incentives to his team mates to play good.
                          [/b][/quote]

Ray King would be sporting a few black eyes if that was the case.

I see this scenario coming. The World Series on the line. Ray King coming in.

I'll puke..
                          The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Sep 16 2005, 09:15 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 16 2005, 09:12 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Ray King would be sporting a few black eyes if that was the case.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            you have an unhealthy obsession with Ray King.

Also, read what you wrote again please.

puking is good for the ol' stomach muscles so stfu.

Comment

We all know that the only thing that matters in MVP voting is OPS.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Working...
                              X