• Bernie on the Rams' line, Barron and Otogwe

Linkage
    Dude. Can. Fly.

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 15 2005, 11:46 PM) Quoted post

Linkage
    [/b][/quote]

Sorry, more interested in this...

He sent this to me, unsolicited.
    He's a senior research analyst for STATS Inc.
    Here goes...

(begin)
    It seems as though Andruw Jones’ MVP candidacy is gaining momentum, as several prominent observers evidently have become infatuated with his home runs and RBI. But what I can’t understand is why those analysts seem to be putting so much more value on the RBI than the actual run scored.

Sure, Jones has 16 more RBI than Albert Pujols (125-109), but Pujols has scored 26 more runs (117-91). And only 41 of those 91 runs that Jones has scored resulted from something other than his own home run, while 78 of Pujols’ 117 have. Put another way, Jones has wound up crossing the plate just 20.7 percent of the time he’s reached base (excluding home runs), the third lowest rate in the National League, while Pujols has done so 30.8 percent of the time, ranking 11th best.

And Jones has been abysmal when batting with runners in scoring position, when he’s posted a .224 batting average, more than 100 points lower than Pujols’ .328 mark. So why does Jones have so many RBI? Because his teammates have given him so many opportunities to drive them in. No on in the majors has batted with as many runners in scoring position:

RISP For PA, 2005

Andruw Jones, Atl 246

Alex Rodriguez, NYY 236

Pat Burrell, Phi 236

Carlos Lee, Mil 224

Hideki Matsui, NYY 223

Manny Ramirez, Bos 220

David Ortiz, Bos 217

Adrian Beltre, Sea 215

Miguel Cabrera, Fla 215

For the sake of comparison, Pujols has had 200 runners in scoring position for his plate appearances.

One other note regarding Jones’ defense, for which he’s earned well-deserved respect in years past. But his range, measured by putouts per nine innings, has declined in every season but one since 1999, when he recorded 3.07 putouts per nine innings. It’s down to 2.35 in 2005, which ranks in the bottom third of National League center fielders. I’m not going to try to claim he’s no longer a valuable outfielder, but I do think it’s clear he’s no longer the exceptional defender he once was. I hope MVP voters will consider his true defensive value, and not his reputation. Heck, Albert has even shown more flash as a base runner this season, with 15 stolen bases compared to Jones’ three.

There have been worse players to win the MVP award than Jones, should he be so honored this season. I just hope the voters make a measured choice, and aren’t simply mesmerized by a couple of gaudy totals, one of which was accumulated with significant help from his teammates. A little perspective might be helpful.

(endit)

--B [/b][/quote]

/thread hijack [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Thread hijack: Just got off the phone with Steve in Chicago.

He said to let you know you are still a douche.
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 15 2005, 11:57 PM) Quoted post

Thread hijack: Just got off the phone with Steve in Chicago.

He said to let you know you are still a douche.
        [/b][/quote]
        Oh yeah?

time to hack his account [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Back on topic: if Bernie is so bluntly tearing the Rams a new one for two of their top three picks, then things must be awful. WTF is Shaw doing to ensure the on-field product is decent? Did the Rams not profit enough from their SB seasons that they understand the value of actually being a good team?

Sometimes I wonder if Shaw isn't waiting for the Rams contract to expire so they can move the team back to LA.
          On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 16 2005, 04:32 AM) Quoted post

Back on topic: if Bernie is so bluntly tearing the Rams a new one for two of their top three picks, then things must be awful. WTF is Shaw doing to ensure the on-field product is decent? Did the Rams not profit enough from their SB seasons that they understand the value of actually being a good team?

Sometimes I wonder if Shaw isn't waiting for the Rams contract to expire so they can move the team back to LA.
            [/b][/quote]

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 16 2005, 05:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I think Bernie is cool with Barron, just that he needs to play more. But yeah, Bartell may never play a down.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Add the Barron experiment to the list of 5 things Martz has screwed up. You draft a guy #1 and appoint him as your starter at RT. Then, after he finally signs you start playing him as a backup at LT, knowing the guy was already lost after minicamp. If he is already struggling, why make it more difficult by starting him on the left side only to move him to the right side later? Throw his ass in there everyday in practice on the right side until it clicks.
                Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 16 2005, 08:21 AM) Quoted post

Add the Barron experiment to the list of 5 things Martz has screwed up. You draft a guy #1 and appoint him as your starter at RT. Then, after he finally signs you start playing him as a backup at LT, knowing the guy was already lost after minicamp. If he is already struggling, why make it more difficult by starting him on the left side only to move him to the right side later? Throw his ass in there everyday in practice on the right side until it clicks.
                  [/b][/quote]

I honestly don't have a problem with the way the Barron situation was handled. He has to get used to playing at NFL speed as well as the position switch.

In training camp, they slowly ramp up to game speed, and he may have been able to handle both transitions at once. Once it wasy clear that he was going to miss the majority of training camp, they decided to bring him up to game speed first (and get at least some immediate value out of him as the backup at his natural position) before asking him to play a position he'd never played before.

I'm fine with the One Step at a Time approach. There's plenty more legitimate things that can be criticized this year.

-RBB

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 15 2005, 10:53 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 15 2005, 11:46 PM) Quoted post

Linkage
                    [/b][/quote]

Sorry, more interested in this...

He sent this to me, unsolicited.
                    He's a senior research analyst for STATS Inc.
                    Here goes...

(begin)
                    It seems as though Andruw Jones’ MVP candidacy is gaining momentum, as several prominent observers evidently have become infatuated with his home runs and RBI. But what I can’t understand is why those analysts seem to be putting so much more value on the RBI than the actual run scored.

Sure, Jones has 16 more RBI than Albert Pujols (125-109), but Pujols has scored 26 more runs (117-91). And only 41 of those 91 runs that Jones has scored resulted from something other than his own home run, while 78 of Pujols’ 117 have. Put another way, Jones has wound up crossing the plate just 20.7 percent of the time he’s reached base (excluding home runs), the third lowest rate in the National League, while Pujols has done so 30.8 percent of the time, ranking 11th best.

And Jones has been abysmal when batting with runners in scoring position, when he’s posted a .224 batting average, more than 100 points lower than Pujols’ .328 mark. So why does Jones have so many RBI? Because his teammates have given him so many opportunities to drive them in. No on in the majors has batted with as many runners in scoring position:

RISP For PA, 2005

Andruw Jones, Atl 246

Alex Rodriguez, NYY 236

Pat Burrell, Phi 236

Carlos Lee, Mil 224

Hideki Matsui, NYY 223

Manny Ramirez, Bos 220

David Ortiz, Bos 217

Adrian Beltre, Sea 215

Miguel Cabrera, Fla 215

For the sake of comparison, Pujols has had 200 runners in scoring position for his plate appearances.

One other note regarding Jones’ defense, for which he’s earned well-deserved respect in years past. But his range, measured by putouts per nine innings, has declined in every season but one since 1999, when he recorded 3.07 putouts per nine innings. It’s down to 2.35 in 2005, which ranks in the bottom third of National League center fielders. I’m not going to try to claim he’s no longer a valuable outfielder, but I do think it’s clear he’s no longer the exceptional defender he once was. I hope MVP voters will consider his true defensive value, and not his reputation. Heck, Albert has even shown more flash as a base runner this season, with 15 stolen bases compared to Jones’ three.

There have been worse players to win the MVP award than Jones, should he be so honored this season. I just hope the voters make a measured choice, and aren’t simply mesmerized by a couple of gaudy totals, one of which was accumulated with significant help from his teammates. A little perspective might be helpful.

(endit)

--B [/b][/quote]

/thread hijack [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                    [/b][/quote]
                    how INsightful..................[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.sportscartel.com/forum/in...howtopic=33464
                    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                    --Suck it cubbies.
                    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

I was giving odds in the GDT thread Barron would be taking snaps at RT this week.

I never saw the logic in having him play LT first to get comfortable. They drafted him to play RT, not LT...have him play there.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                      X