GDT: STL vs MIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: STL vs MIL

Here is some general information that I've picked up from a friend of mine who works in the season ticket/group sales department:
    • The secret service is flying out 180 additional agents for the sole purpose of running metal detectors, searching/pat downs, and basic security detail.
    • If you are going to the game, make sure you have a valid photo ID (military/state/passport) with you - you'll need it (apparently).
    • Arrive as early as you think you can - Busch is only going to have 5 of 8 of the gates open for walk-in. The gates open at 11.10am.
    • Take Metrolink - parking is going to suck downtown and all of the meters and lots will be full from people already at work.
    • Some horrible Motown Review is the special music pre-game entertainment. Hmmm... I'll pass.
    That said, who's going to the game? I have tickets in 274, Row 10, Seat 9. I can't wait!

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

I can't go, but I do have a question...

I remember in years past that the game was on like channel 11 or something but this year it's on Fox Midwest, right? which means I will be missing most of the game cos we don't have cable at work?

And if so, then that depresses me a bit.
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Cardinals ready to begin chase
      04/02/2004  8:11 PM ET
      By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

Hunting season is about to get under way. After years of being chased, the Cardinals are looking up at not one, but two teams. An unfamiliar third place finish, followed by big winters for both Chicago and Houston, leaves St. Louis as decidedly the hunter rather than the hunted.

And they're loving it. Even if facing guys like Mark Prior, Kerry Wood and the entire Astros staff isn't a task most hitters relish, the Redbirds' pitchers are looking forward to it.

"That's what it comes down to," said Matt Morris, the Cards' Opening Day starter. "Prior, Kerry Wood, (Andy) Pettitte, (Roger) Clemens, those kinds of games are the games ... they may not decide the season, but you get the upper hand when you beat them head to head.

"From the past against the Cubs and Astros, it's always so intense. And now it's gonna be more intense."

The question isn't about readiness or attitude or any of those things. It is, simply, is this team good enough to contend with the improved Astros, who added Pettitte and Clemens, and the revamped Cubs, who brought in Derrek Lee, LaTroy Hawkins and Greg Maddux?

Don't tell anyone in the clubhouse that they're not good enough. Players and staff point to a lineup that terrorized the National League last year, a quality defense, a deep bullpen and a promising if uncertain starting rotation.

If you ask MVP runner-up Albert Pujols, it's more a question of what's not to like?

"I think everything," Pujols said when asked what he liked about the '04 Cards. "Pitching, offense, running. We've got speed on the bases, which we didn't have the last two years.

"We finished third last year. We were three games out and our pitching was OK, but there were a couple guys injured that we really missed a lot. Hopefully if they can stay healthy this year, I think we've got a pretty good chance. There's gonna be some competition in the Central Division. It's gonna be tough. And that's what we like. We like things tough. We're gonna go play and see what happens and see who's gonna be dancing in September."

Morris and Pujols will be the focal points of their respective units. Morris needs to get back to his 2002 form, when he finished third in Cy Young voting. Pujols just needs to keep doing what he's been doing.

There may not be a team in the NL with greater star power than St. Louis. Joining Morris and Pujols on the list of potential All-Stars are Edgar Renteria, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, Reggie Sanders, Woody Williams and Jason Isringhausen.

It's keeping those guys healthy, and surrounding them with a supporting cast, that are the keys. Pitching depth was never a strength for St. Louis in '03. Morris pitched well for the most part, Williams had a career year and Isringhausen was his usual dominant self when he returned from the disabled list in June.

Beyond that were a whole lot of questions. And to many observers outside the organization, the questions weren't satisfactorily answered. Where the Astros bolstered their rotation with Pettitte and Clemens, and the Cubs shored up their bullpen with Hawkins, the Cards are relying on Jeff Suppan, Jason Marquis and Chris Carpenter.

The name value is clearly lacking, and that's what most analyses have honed in on. Morris sees it differently -- and, it's safe to say, most of his mates feel the same way.

"I think that's what they [analysts] do," he said. "They compare it to Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte and the blazing fastballs of the Cubs, and now you add Maddux into the mix. But as far as getting outs and pitching 200 innings and having quality starts, I think we match up well with each team. Then you add our offense in, I think it's gonna be a battle to the end."

It shapes up to be a high-risk, high-reward rotation. Marquis and Carpenter could be more than sufficient -- they could be special. But Carpenter is no sure bet even to stay healthy, while Marquis spent most of last year in the minors.

In the bullpen, it's an opposite situation. It's strength in numbers. None of the new additions -- which include Julian Tavarez, Mike Lincoln and Ray King -- will dominate like Hawkins did for the Minnesota Twins last year. But in bulk, they give manager Tony La Russa far more effective options than he had last season.

"I think our bullpen is tremendous," Morris said. "With Tavarez, and Lincoln's been outstanding, those are guys we didn't have last year. And Ray King wants to pitch every day from the left side -- I'm sure that's Tony's dream. Besides Izzy and (Steve) Kline, and we have Cal (Eldred) still doing his thing. I'll be comfortable handing the ball off, that's for sure. But not too early."

He said the last bit with a laugh, but a little edge, too. Consider that the theme of this year's Cards -- they're having fun, but keep your eye out for them.

Comment

Opening Day Facts: Brewers @ Cardinals

April 5, 3:10 p.m. CT, Busch Stadium

Starter:
        RH Ben Sheets
        (11-13, 4.45)
        Starter:
        RH Matt Morris
        (11-8, 3.76)

Projected
        Brewers lineup:
        1. Scott Podsednik, CF
        2. Craig Counsell, SS
        3. Lyle Overbay, 1B
        4. Geoff Jenkins, LF
        5. Junior Spivey, 2B
        6. Ben Grieve, RF
        7. Wes Helms, 3B
        8. Chad Moeller, C
        9. Ben Sheets, RHP

Projected
        Cardinals lineup:
        1. Tony Womack, 2B
        2. Ray Lankford, LF
        3. Albert Pujols, 1B
        4. Jim Edmonds, CF
        5. Scott Rolen, 3B
        6. Edgar Renteria, SS
        7. Reggie Sanders, RF
        8. Mike Matheny, C
        9. Matt Morris, RHP

TV/Radio
        Milwaukee: FSN North/WTMJ 620 AM
        St. Louis: FSN Midwest/KMOX 1120 AM

Comment

I"ll be down there...somewhere...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I've got the Tivo set. Here's hoping the people at work allow for three hours of baseball instead of the dating shows they make me watch every day.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 5 2004, 01:41 AM
              I've got the Tivo set. Here's hoping the people at work allow for three hours of baseball instead of the dating shows they make me watch every day.
              You love it and you know it!

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Apr 4 2004, 11:44 PM
                You love it and you know it!
                About as much as you love Facetime!

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar+Apr 5 2004, 01:50 AM-->
                  QUOTE (devaskar @ Apr 5 2004, 01:50 AM)

I have Section 224....not sure what row or seat number yet......will find out in a coupld of hours.

GO CARDS!!!!

Comment

This may be the first time i am not upset about not going to the opener. Gonna racce home to see the start of the game. Since they can't fire me any more i am celebrating the opener in at least one class, with a showing of Bull Durham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

I would gladly give up the baseball game if it meant sitting around with Lisa D and watching Elimidate.
                      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

See ya guys....off to the ballpark to get frisked B) and patted down by security....

Slainte!

Comment

Make sure to find a terminal and let us know when you use the restroom and when you get the nachos.
                          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Have fun!

Make them win, okay?
                            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

• Working...
                              X