iPod/USB port question...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod/USB port question...........

I recently took my computer in to have a new motherboard put in it. When I got it back, everything was like I remembered it except my USB ports aren't working.

Normally I could download an iPod tune and then export it from iTunes to my iPod via the USB port. Well now it says "USB Hub Power Exceeded" when I hook my iPod up to the computer. WTF does that mean? I've never had problems with my USB ports before. Did the people who put my motherboard in fuck up my USB port(s) or is it too hard to tell from my explanation.

I know jack shit about computers.

Thanks.
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Oh my little knowledge about iPods. The one time I ever had a problem with them was with the USB ports. For some reason with my friend's Thinkpad, the USB ports just wouldn't recognize the IPod. Do you have an IBM (from my searches online then, others had problems too on occasion). We just figured out a way to hook it up via Firewire. Guy at the Apple store had no idea what to do and Apple was no help...As, probably, niether am i.
    Billikens.com

Comment

QUOTE(SluSignGuy @ Sep 15 2005, 09:25 PM) Quoted post

Oh my little knowledge about iPods. The one time I ever had a problem with them was with the USB ports. For some reason with my friend's Thinkpad, the USB ports just wouldn't recognize the IPod. Do you have an IBM (from my searches online then, others had problems too on occasion). We just figured out a way to hook it up via Firewire. Guy at the Apple store had no idea what to do and Apple was no help...As, probably, niether am i.
      [/b][/quote]
      I do have an IBM but what's weird is that I've never had a problem with my iPod, my USB port(s), or downloading songs onto my iPod (and I have exported over 2,000 songs onto it). That was before the new motherboard was put in my computer.

It's very frustrating.
      --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

QUOTE("F @ Sep 15 2005, 09:29 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
        I do have an IBM but what's weird is that I've never had a problem with my iPod, my USB port(s), or downloading songs onto my iPod (and I have exported over 2,000 songs onto it). That was before the new motherboard was put in my computer.

It's very frustrating.
        [/b][/quote]

Do you have a firewire port? If so, with your iPod should of come a firewire wire as well as USB. See if that works (my friend needed a 4 to 6 pin converter, but it works for him). We got the converter at target for 10 bucks.
        Billikens.com

Comment

QUOTE(SluSignGuy @ Sep 15 2005, 09:10 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

It's very frustrating.
          [/b][/quote]

Do you have a firewire port? If so, with your iPod should of come a firewire wire as well as USB. See if that works (my friend needed a 4 to 6 pin converter, but it works for him). We got the converter at target for 10 bucks.
          [/b][/quote]

My new iPod (iPod Photo) for PC does NOT work with Firewire - I think it only works with USB...not certain about the 3G iPods though...
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

QUOTE(SluSignGuy @ Sep 15 2005, 10:10 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

It's very frustrating.
            [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
            I've got the port but I don't think I have the wire. I think for some reason my USB ports got disconnected or uninstalled. I'm trying to "F" with my computer a little and reinstall my USB port (I think I uninstalled it but I can't figure out how to reinstall it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] ). I'm pretty much computer illiterate (except for the basics).
            --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

laptop or desktop?

Did IBM do the MB switch out or did an outside vendor?

If desktop are you using the front usb ports or the ones in the back?

If desktop and are using the front usb ports try the ones in the back.

Sometimes when you put in a new MB you forget to hook up the cable for the front usb ports.

Do other USB devices work in the usb ports?

If other usb devices don't work in the port and you are using the front I will almost guarentee that they didn't hook up the cable that goes to the front usb.

If other things work in the front usb then you are going to have to call IBM or apple.

DId IBM install the new mb or did an outside vendor?

Comment

QUOTE(beerismypal @ Sep 16 2005, 09:25 AM) Quoted post

laptop or desktop?

Did IBM do the MB switch out or did an outside vendor?

If desktop are you using the front usb ports or the ones in the back?

If desktop and are using the front usb ports try the ones in the back.

Sometimes when you put in a new MB you forget to hook up the cable for the front usb ports.

Do other USB devices work in the usb ports?

If other usb devices don't work in the port and you are using the front I will almost guarentee that they didn't hook up the cable that goes to the front usb.

If other things work in the front usb then you are going to have to call IBM or apple.

DId IBM install the new mb or did an outside vendor?
                [/b][/quote]
                An outside vendor did the mb. I haven't checked the USB ports in the back, just the 2 in front. I think you're right when you say they didn't hook the front ones up. I haven't tried anything else in the front ports though. I'll check when I get home from work.

Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.
                --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

if they didn't replace the MB with the exact same MB there may not be a spot on the MB to plug back in the front usb slots....the mb has to be engineered to allow this.

With the fact that it wasn't replaced by IBM I will almost assure you that those were not hooked back up.

Good luck!

Comment

QUOTE(beerismypal @ Sep 16 2005, 01:02 PM) Quoted post

if they didn't replace the MB with the exact same MB there may not be a spot on the MB to plug back in the front usb slots....the mb has to be engineered to allow this.

With the fact that it wasn't replaced by IBM I will almost assure you that those were not hooked back up.

Good luck!
                    [/b][/quote]
                    The dude that put the mb in said that "the type" of mb I had was "faulty" and that he'd replaced many like it.

I'll be checking my ports out shortly.

Thanks again.
                    --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

QUOTE("F @ Sep 16 2005, 01:12 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(beerismypal @ Sep 16 2005, 01:02 PM) Quoted post

Good luck!
                      [/b][/quote]
                      The dude that put the mb in said that "the type" of mb I had was "faulty" and that he'd replaced many like it.

I'll be checking my ports out shortly.

Thanks again.
                      [/b][/quote]
                      The back ports work perfectly. Thanks "beer". No telling how long it would have taken me to figure out that I had USB ports in the back of my computer. I bee kum-pooh-ter wetaw-dead. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                      --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

"Motherboard"?

Nice sexism... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

We use the term "system board" at work... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                        " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Sep 16 2005, 11:02 PM) Quoted post

"Motherboard"?

Nice sexism... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

We use the term "system board" at work... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          [/b][/quote]

What do you call master and slave drives?
                          Billikens.com

Comment

Working...
                          X