Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Bush Speech

I liked it.

Regardless of what happened during Katrina, this response is nothing short of incredible. Yes, they need to come through, but it's a solid plan.

It's going to cost billions of dollars to rebuild the gulf region. I was against it until the past week when I thought more about it. It makes sense to do it.

Here, now, the government has a chance to make a definitive impact on poverty in a region of America. Yep, it's big government that would make FDR grin, but if done properly it could mean so much to our fellow Americans.

There were a few things I really liked:

1) The plan. It seems to have covered all the bases.
    2) The caring. Reuniting families is huge and the offer to pay transportation costs is unreal. Great idea.
    3) The change. He realizes that all our plans for dealing with a major catastrophe don't work. The government needs to change to learn from this.

There were a few things I didn't like:

1) I didn't like how this will be a group approach. I thought he should have appointed someone to do it.
    2) He didn't mention anything about follow-ups on how things are going. It'd be great to see a plan on the web and watch as things are accomplished.
    3) Reimbursement of churches for costs associated with handling evacuees. I think it's great churches are helping, but they need to get their money from their congregations or non-profit sources. I don't think we want the government reimbursing churches.

Serious question: did he say how we would pay for all this?
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 15 2005, 08:42 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Send the bill to our grandkids.
      [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
      RIP Stan the Man
      The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
      I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 15 2005, 07:42 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
        No.

Is that important now? Seriously.

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 15 2005, 09:43 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Send the bill to our grandkids.
          [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]
          K? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

Sell some bonds!
          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

[/b][/quote]

you are free to send Uncle Sam an extra check if you are concerned.

Comment

A very positive speech. If he follows through on his promises, he'll regain a few marks by me.

I'm always a sucker for a good presidential speech.

I agree that he didn't do well providing structural details, but his plan was heartening. The comment regarding poverty really took me by surprise, and I commend him for meeting that issue head-on. It'll be interesting to see how this all turns out. My guess is that poverty challenge will not be met in the short term by providing business opportunities, if a person isn't able to manage their business it won't help much.

There is a lady on the radio right now complaining that he seemed to focus on poverty areas but didn't mention middle class who were equally affected.

[/b][/quote]

It's a good question. Time to raise taxes. Or get some more of this.

|
              |
              |
              |
              |
              V
              No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
              President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
              President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 15 2005, 08:40 PM) Quoted post

1) I didn't like how this will be a group approach. I thought he should have appointed someone to do it.
                [/b][/quote]

Didn't he appoint "Brownie?" That went well.

Unless he would've appointed Rudy Giuliani, a man who's "Been there, done that", I don't know who else President Bush should appoint.

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Sep 15 2005, 08:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Unless he would've appointed Rudy Giuliani, a man who's "Been there, done that", I don't know who else President Bush should appoint.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  No, he didn't appoint Brownie to do this. Brownie was fired/resigned.

I don't think Rudy would have been a good choice.

Dunno who I would have chosen, but I wouldn't leave this in the hands of the Homeland Security guys, etc.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 15 2005, 09:02 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Sep 15 2005, 08:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                    No, he didn't appoint Brownie to do this. Brownie was fired/resigned.

I don't think Rudy would have been a good choice.

Dunno who I would have chosen, but I wouldn't leave this in the hands of the Homeland Security guys, etc.
                    [/b][/quote]

Sorry. I meant to ask, Didn't W appoint "Brown-eye" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] as the head of FEMA?

I know he resigned. (in disgrace)

Comment

I heard that businesses will get tax breaks for hiring people who are getting $5,000 to go back to school.
                      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Sep 15 2005, 08:10 PM) Quoted post

I heard that businesses will get tax breaks for hiring people who are getting $5,000 to go back to school.
                        [/b][/quote]
                        Your TV volume must not be working well.

Here is a link to the speech.

You can even watch it on that site as well.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 15 2005, 08:14 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Sep 15 2005, 08:10 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                          Your TV volume must not be working well.
                          [/b][/quote]

That's because I'm watching the Cardinals.

But I apparently heard fine:

Tonight I propose the creation of a Gulf Opportunity Zone, encompassing the region of the disaster in Louisiana and Mississippi and Alabama. Within this zone, we should provide immediate incentives for job-creating investment: tax relief for small businesses, incentives to companies that create jobs and loans and loan guarantees for small businesses, including minority-owned enterprises, to get them up and running again.

It is entrepreneurship that creates jobs and opportunity. It is entrepreneurship that helps break the cycle of poverty, and we will take the side of entrepreneurs as they lead the economic revival of the Gulf region.

I propose the creation of worker recovery accounts
                          to help those evacuees who need extra help finding work. Under this plan, the federal government would provide accounts of up to $5,000 which these evacuees could draw upon for job training and education to help them get a good job ... and for child care expenses during their job search.[/b][/quote]
                          His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                          Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Sep 15 2005, 08:19 PM) Quoted post

But I apparently heard fine:
                            [/b][/quote]
                            Well, yeah. I inferred that you meant that's all you heard. My apologies if that wasn't right.

Comment

I would have liked to hear him ask Congress to sacrifice some non-essential spending budgeted for the next couple years to free up some money for this.
                              Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Working...
                              X