Cards claim troubled Brewers prospect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards claim troubled Brewers prospect

They just picked up LH Luis Martinez, 24, on waivers from the Brewers.
    he was Milwaukee's minor league pitcher of the year in 2003.
    so why did they set him free?
    offseason trouble in the Dominican.
    A shooting. Martinez claimed it was self defense.
    Cardinals looked into it....says he's a solid person.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Here's the ESPN story:

The promising 24-year-old left-hander was expected to compete for a spot in the Brewers' rotation this season after being named the Brewers' Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2003.

Martinez was accused of shooting Rafael Encarnacion Quezeda during a traffic dispute on Feb. 7 in Santo Domingo. Encarnacion was hospitalized with chest and leg wounds but was expected to recover. Martinez contends he was defending himself.

Martinez was a combined 12-5 with a 2.13 ERA between Triple-A Indianapolis and Double-A Huntsville. He struck out 162 batters in 160 2-3 innings last year before going 0-3 with a 9.92 ERA in four September starts for the Brewers.
    Brewers sign pitcher involved in shooting

Minor league stats
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Apparently Jocketty can't judge character better than he can talent. Why the fuck would he take this guy on? Even if it was self-defense, he put himself into a shady situation where using a gun lethally was necessary.

Comment

i read about this yesterday. so was this guy acquitted of all wrongdoing, or is it still under the scope? and how "promising" is he? stan papi, gaglionafan, where are you guys?
      Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

who's scouting our talent? Barry Switzer?
        Are you on the list?

Comment

I like this move.

Let us remember that our forum had the info on his arrest before the normal press when the story broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Feb 23 2004, 03:07 PM
            Apparently Jocketty can't judge character better than he can talent. Why the fuck would he take this guy on? Even if it was self-defense, he put himself into a shady situation where using a gun lethally was necessary.
            when you need pitching as bad as the birds you have to take a risk every once in a while.

Comment

I can't say anything about this move until I know the exact legal status of this guy.

Has he been cleared? Is it going to trial?

Or has Banana Republic "justice" already been meted out?
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Good signing. We need an intimidating presence on the mound.
                "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by kicksave+Feb 23 2004, 03:12 PM-->
                  QUOTE(kicksave @ Feb 23 2004, 03:12 PM)

This guy's minor-league stats make it seem like a minor risk. I'm doubtful that he's only 24 though.
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

So when they say he's got a good gun...

oh nevermind.
                    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Feb 23 2004, 03:17 PM
                      This guy's minor-league stats make it seem like a minor risk. I'm doubtful that he's only 24 though.
                      Minor risk as in he's a decent pitcher?
                      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith+Feb 23 2004, 03:19 PM-->
                        QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Feb 23 2004, 03:19 PM)

Actually,

this guy pitched against the Cards last September. We roughed him up and he was pulled after 3.

Thanks
                        "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

He was minor league pitcher of the year, not player. Brewers are deeper in positional prospects , with Fielder, Weekes, and Hart than they are in pitchers.

Comment

Working...
                          X