Why so worried about the Marlins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so worried about the Marlins?

I've noticed that many of you express concern about playing the Marlins in the first round. I just don't see what to be concerned about. This is not the same team that won a couple of years ago. That team, you could tell by mid-August that something was special with them. Here's why I think we shouldn't worry about them...

1. Their starting pitch certainly has potential, but has been inconsistent.
    Dontrelle can shut you down, but he's historically been only dominant in the first half. I still think he'll run out of gas. Burnette had an unhittable streak of about 10 games around mid-season, but he's been terrible lately. Beckett has the best stuff on the team, but has been very inconsistent since the 2003 run. I still don't think he even has a winning record for his career. The rest of the rotation sucks.

2. Their bullpen sucks. Todd Jones has had a decent little run, but he's not a true closer. Guillermo Mota has some good stuff, but he tends to choke in important situations. Everybody else sucks.

3. Their lineup has potential, but has also been inconsistent. Cabrera is turning into a little Pujols, but I wonder how he'll do under the pressure of the playoffs. Delgado has also put up good numbers, but that 1-2 combo won't be enough. Juan Pierre's had a very tough season and has recently been dropped to #7 in the lineup. That's also provided the team with a spark. Mike Lowell, a former 30 homer 100 RBI guy had 7 homeruns just a week or two ago (Can anyone say steroids?).

4. Homefield advantage. Their brand of ball is conducive to Dolphins stadium, but they'll only get two games there at most.

5. Defense. Alex Gonzalez is good, but has been injured. Castillo also helps with their double play combo. Beyond that, they have one of the worst defenses in the league. Pierre has no arm, Delgado struggles at first and Cabrera's useless in Left.

I'm hoping for this matchup (then I can go to the game).

They have Willis, Beckett, Burnett.
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Our pitching rotation is built for a 162 game season. Their pitching rotation is built for a five game series. Unlike the Astros, they have the offense to match their pitching staff.

Comment

I worry more about Delgado or Cabrera going Beltran on us than any other player on any other team.
        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

I took the 2005 year off from worrying. Everybody sucks but us.
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

They're SCARY!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Sep 15 2005, 01:52 PM) Quoted post

They're SCARY!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
              [/b][/quote]
              In a 5 game series, of course they're scary.
              Willis, Beckett, and Burnett have the stuff to shut down any lineup.
              Castillo, Pierre, Cabrera, Delgado, Encarnacion, and LoDuca have the skills to rough up a great pitcher.

I don't care if they've underachieved in the regular season. If they make the playoffs, the regular season stats are GONE, and they have the stuff to shut down any team.

Miami,
              If Willis hasn't cooled off now, what makes you think he will so in the last 2 1/2 weeks of the season?
              In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

If Burnette and Beckett have been woefully inconsistent all season, what makes you think they'll be pitching on fire come playoff time?

Comment

QUOTE(Miami Card Fan @ Sep 15 2005, 12:16 PM) Quoted post

If Burnette and Beckett have been woefully inconsistent all season, what makes you think they'll be pitching on fire come playoff time?
                  [/b][/quote]

Because they are the Marlins, and we must Fear Them.

Comment

They do have two times the World Series wins in the last 8 years as the [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cubs.gif[/img] have had since 1908

Comment

QUOTE(Miami Card Fan @ Sep 15 2005, 02:16 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                      It seems to me as though Beckett has been pretty solid all year.

I'm not saying that both starters will pitch lights out, because you can't predict that.
                      What I am saying is that they definitely have the stuff to shut down any lineup, and I would MUCH rather face a team like the Phillies or (wouldn't this be great) Nationals.
                      In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Sep 15 2005, 01:43 PM) Quoted post

They have Willis, Beckett, Burnett.
                        [/b][/quote]
                        ++
                        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Florida has never lost a playoff series.
                          These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Comment

QUOTE(Miami Card Fan @ Sep 15 2005, 02:16 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                            I wouldn't say they have been woefully inconsistent. Beckett's line is very similar to Mulder's, except for more strikeouts, and Burnett's been better than any of our starters besides Carpenter. Throw Willis into the mix, and they do have a slight edge over us in starting pitching.

Comment

QUOTE(Arthur @ Sep 15 2005, 12:26 PM) Quoted post

Florida has never lost a playoff series.
                              [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X