Roberts Hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberts Hearing

He's done. I watched some of the hearings -- he really kept his composure. From what I saw, he never once showed an angry or annoyed expression. His general expression of genuine engagement rarely changed. He never smiled when Republicans were praising him and never frowned when Democrats were attacking him.

He's one cool customer.

Anybody else watch any of the hearings?

One blogger notes the following:

Judge Roberts testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee for approximately 22 hours. That is 10 hours longer than William Rehnquist when he became Chief Justice, and 5 hours longer than Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and 4 hours longer than Stephen Breyer during their hearings.. Throughout his testimony, Roberts answered at least 510 questions, while Ginsburg only answered 216.[/b][/quote]
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

I thought he did a good job, he will get over 50% of the Dems to vote for him.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

seems like a sneaky sonofabitch.
      Are you on the list?

Comment

These hearings are rarely an indication of what kind of Justice the nominee will eventually become. This one was no exception.

Roberts did impress me with his recall of past cases. At the time, I thought his opening statement was probably a rehearsed speech. But, as the hearings progressed, he displayed an ability to discuss case after case without notes in the same manner. Whatever his political leanings, at least he is well qualified on the law.
        "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

"go ahead and continue not answering questions"..
          I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

QUOTE(davhaf @ Sep 15 2005, 01:02 PM) Quoted post

"go ahead and continue not answering questions"..
            [/b][/quote]

Who said that?

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

I think it was Mr. 8 Minute Question, Sen. Biden
              "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

I wish they would answer questions

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 15 2005, 01:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I wish they could answer questions
                  "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(phantom @ Sep 15 2005, 01:18 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 15 2005, 01:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I wish they could answer questions
                    [/b][/quote]

I am not necessarily disagreeing with him taking the 5th of stuff, because on principle it seems a valid argument not to talk about stuff he may rule on.

But hell, how do you find out anything then? Couldn't you make that argument about every question they ask.

Comment

QUOTE(phantom @ Sep 15 2005, 01:12 PM) Quoted post

I think it was Mr. 8 Minute Question, Sen. Biden
                      [/b][/quote]

Funny how things change. Here's what Sen. Biden said when he was chairman and Ginsburg was before the committee:

CHAIRMAN JOE BIDEN: "[Y]ou Not Only Have A Right To Choose What You Will Answer And Not Answer, But In My View You Should Not Answer A Question Of What Your View Will Be On An Issue That Clearly Is Going To Come Before The Court In 50 Different Forms, Probably, Over The Next - Over Your Tenure On The Court." (Committee On The Judiciary, U.S. Senate, Hearing, 7/22/93)[/b][/quote]

Comment

Yaks, what, precisely, do you want to know that Roberts didn't tell you or the Senators?
                        I'm always right.

Comment

QUOTE(kaiser @ Sep 15 2005, 01:22 PM) Quoted post

Yaks, what, precisely, do you want to know that Roberts didn't tell you or the Senators?
                          [/b][/quote]

What does he think about Roe V Wade
                          Does he believe that the right of privacy exists in the Constitution even though it doesn't specifically say it.

for starters.

Comment

QUOTE(kaiser @ Sep 15 2005, 12:22 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Speaking for me, I'd like him to say some things that would cause him to have to recuse himself from every case in the next 50 years, or say something that would cause most of the Senators to vote against him. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Seriously, why even have these hearings? There's really not much they can say....Has it always been like this? Was there ever a time when a Supreme Court nominee sits up there and says something like, "Marbury vs. Madison is a piece of garbage and I'd vote to get rid of it?"
                            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                            --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 15 2005, 01:25 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(kaiser @ Sep 15 2005, 01:22 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

What does he think about Roe V Wade
                              Does he believe that the right of privacy exists in the Constitution even though it doesn't specifically say it.

for starters.
                              [/b][/quote]

He answered those questions.

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 15 2005, 01:26 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(kaiser @ Sep 15 2005, 12:22 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Speaking for me, I'd like him to say some things that would cause him to have to recuse himself from every case in the next 50 years, or say something that would cause most of the Senators to vote against him. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Seriously, why even have these hearings? There's really not much they can say....Has it always been like this? Was there ever a time when a Supreme Court nominee sits up there and says something like, "Marbury vs. Madison is a piece of garbage and I'd vote to get rid of it?"
                              [/b][/quote]

Bork did. Not about Marbury but about Roe and other privacy cases.

Comment

Working...
                              X