Let's talk playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk playoffs

Hearing Jack's call of the last out in 1982 fired me up.

So here's today's discussion topic: Why will 2005 be different than last year?

I'll start it off -- Chris Carpenter. He has routinely pitched against the other team's ace this year, and has routinely outpitched them. No reason why that won't continue in the playoffs.

Your turn.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

Carpenter and Mulder.

I've said repeatedly that I was lukewarm on the Mulder trade---thought we gave up too much for a guy who wasn't going to be an automatic in the playoffs.

But he's been quite good lately, and he's definitely a different pitcher than Carpenter, style-wise.

Those two guys at the top of the rotation are definitely better than what we had going into the playoffs last year. Maybe not enough, but definitely better.
    I'm always right.

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 15 2005, 11:04 AM) Quoted post

I'll start it off -- Chris Carpenter. He has routinely pitched against the other team's ace this year, and has routinely outpitched them. No reason why that won't continue in the playoffs.

Your turn.
      [/b][/quote]

My biggest worry is Mulder. I just don't see that much more than what Woody gave us. I hope he proves me wrong.

Comment

Because this year we are going to get the breaks, dammit.
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I sincerely hope this year is different than last year. I hope we kick ass and take names..... In the WS that is.

Comment

Here's another one: We're rested.

I'm still holding to my theory that the injuries to Molina, Walker and Sanders will turn out to be blessings in disguise, because they will be refreshed for the playoffs. (That's assuming Sanders can get his stroke back, but I think he will). Same is true with Grudz.

Once we clinch, I would assume that Eckstein, Nunez and Jimmy will get some time off. I'd include Albert, but when Superman wants to play, he plays.

Our bullpen has pitched less than any in the majors, I believe. And, with the exception of Morris, our starters haven't showed the same sort of fading they exhibited down the stretch last year.
            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

As someone mentioned above...

Carpenter and Mulder...

They need to be the difference.

I must say, I'm not feeling very confident though. When Rolen was deemed out for the season, it really shook my confidence in the Cardinals ability to win it all.

To clarify, I'm not saying they don't have a chance...just that I'm not supremely confident, either.

If the Cardinals end up matching the Marlins in the first round, then thats bad news...
              You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

I think our bench is superior to last year's too. We found out due to Walker's and Sanders' absences that Taguchi is a fine bench player and Rodriguez has a good bat as well. I can't remember who we used as our DH last year in Boston, but I would have to think we are better equipped this year then we were last year.

And as Kaiser said, we have two better pitchers this year than we had last year for all of the playoffs. Mulder just needs a swift kick in the nutsack before every start.

Comment

QUOTE(Beetlebop70 @ Sep 15 2005, 11:12 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 15 2005, 11:04 AM) Quoted post

Your turn.
                  [/b][/quote]

My biggest worry is Mulder. I just don't see that much more than what Woody gave us. I hope he proves me wrong.
                  [/b][/quote]

Except for that G*&d^*m MF, SOBin' WS game one start last year (THE key to the whole disasterous Clusterf*&k that was the WS, and yes I will be bitter toward him until I die), I will take a Woody type performance from Mr. Mulder in a second. Up until that game, he was the one playoff performer that could be counted on to go toe-to-toe with the other team's big guy. He always kept his head and didn't come apart in tough situations.

If Mulder is like that, we are going good.

I also think we have a better shot at unknown offensive heroes coming out of our team with all the positive experience the non-stars have had this year (Molina? Grudz? Nunez? So?)
                  Sketch in STL
                  Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

It will be different in that we'll get bounced in four games in round one.
                    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

No worries aboot the offense?? I'm suprised.

Comment

It will be FINER.
                        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Sparrow @ Sep 15 2005, 11:25 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I thought you were out of here? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                          RIP Stan the Man
                          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                          I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Sparrow @ Sep 15 2005, 11:25 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Fuck you Jack..

Term of Endearment...
                            I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

QUOTE(Celtic @ Sep 15 2005, 10:27 AM) Quoted post

No worries aboot the offense?? I'm suprised.
                              [/b][/quote]

Well, a little. But let's see the actual playoff roster in there before we get too worried. We've seen too many Einar and Seabol at-bats to reach any conclusions. I do wish Albert would go back to hitting a game-winning hit every single game, though.
                              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X