What is the best LCD monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best LCD monitor?

I was looking at Dell monitors, I thought you could get a 24 inch with the new "true life" that comes on their notebook screens (it is fucking unreal), but you cant, it's only for their notebooks.

So... thoughts?
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

I have a 17" Gateway and I like it a lot.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Dell 2405 FPW 24" is the best mid-priced LCD available. I have two. I understand that with the right coupon code, it's possible to get one for as little as $700. There's no question that this is the best bargain in LCDs on the market right now.

Just as an aside, it's funny that you bring this up, because the "best" LCD that can run on a consumer PC is without a doubt the Apple 30" Cinema Display. I have just found two different consumer-level cards (i.e. the play games well and don't cost $3000+) that can drive this monitor at full resolution at a good frame rate in games. These are the XFX 7800 GTX OC and the eVGA 7800 GTX cards. I already have two of the eVGA 6800GTs, and I like 'em fine. I am straining every sinew of willpower not to buy this combo for myself (really, I'm not kidding, this display is THAT awesome), simply because it's hard to justify $2500 for a monitor + $500 for a video card just to play games on. My wife has made it clear she'll let me spend the money, but I have this fear that there are hidden strings attached...

Anyway, the Dell 2045 will not disappoint you.

Comment

I have the Geforce 6800 Ultra OC and it will drive the Apple big 30, but I don't want to spend 3000 on a monitor.

I was looking at the Dell 2405, but it doesn't have that glass like look over the screen, the look that some of the new notebooks have, Dell calls it "true life" and I'd really like to get that if I can.

But if I can't find something like that, where the hell do I get a coupon to get a 1200 dollar monitor for 700?

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 15 2005, 12:46 PM) Quoted post

I have the Geforce 6800 Ultra OC and it will drive the Apple big 30, but I don't want to spend 3000 on a monitor.

I was looking at the Dell 2405, but it doesn't have that glass like look over the screen, the look that some of the new notebooks have, Dell calls it "true life" and I'd really like to get that if I can.

But if I can't find something like that, where the hell do I get a coupon to get a 1200 dollar monitor for 700?
          [/b][/quote]

A 6800 Ultra OC will NOT drive an Apple 30" Cinema Display, no matter what the website says - MANY vendor websites mistakenly imply that "Dual DVI" is the same as "Dual Link DVI". You will probably get 1280x1024 as your top on an Apple 30". The card simply doesn't have a DDL DVI port, nor does it have the extra TMDS chip necessary to make it work. It has two 165MHz DVI signals, but 330MHz is ncessary for full resolution (2560x1600). Trust me on this one, I've checked very thoroughly. I can get the Apple monitor for $2520 as of yesterday, but that's still a very big bite, no argument there.

The Dell doesn't have this "True Life" glass, whatever that is, true. I understand that the thing to do is camp at www.gotapex.com until a suitable coupon code shows up.

Comment

Yeah, the 700 deal hasn't been around in a LONG time, but it's regularly available for 899.

macmall was running a little sale/rebate combo last week and I picked up a GEM 19" with nice specs for 189 after I get my rebate 2 years later.

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

Dell has their 30 inch LCD TV on sale for 1399

Comment

30 inches?

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
                RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 16 2005, 08:24 PM) Quoted post

30 inches?

[/b][/quote]

30, as in OMG

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 16 2005, 08:26 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 16 2005, 08:24 PM) Quoted post

30 inches?

[/b][/quote]

30, as in OMG
                    [/b][/quote]

Max resolution is 1280x768. As in crap.

Comment

I have a Samsung 6.5-inch Squintview Tiny SD.

It's pretty rare.

I have to wear special glasses when I'm online, but it only cost $29.

I think it was worth it.

Comment

QUOTE(The Skeptic @ Sep 17 2005, 01:37 AM) Quoted post

I have a Samsung 6.5-inch Squintview Tiny SD.

It's pretty rare.

I have to wear special glasses when I'm online, but it only cost $29.

I think it was worth it.
                        [/b][/quote]

Really? Where can I get one? I have a 9" CRT that sits on top of my server in the closet. I'd love to have a tiny flat panel to use instead. Problem is, a good 7" screen costs $300. For $29, I'm all over it.

Comment

Really? Where can I get one? I have a 9" CRT that sits on top of my server in the closet. I'd love to have a tiny flat panel to use instead. Problem is, a good 7" screen costs $300. For $29, I'm all over it.

I got it at Big Lots. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow.
                            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
                            X