St. Louis (93-54) at Chicago (72-73), 7:05 p.m. CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis (93-54) at Chicago (72-73), 7:05 p.m. CT

Clinching the National League Central at home would have been nice, but the Cardinals have a chance to do the next best thing on Thursday: lock it up at Wrigley Field. They'll try to secure a second straight division championship at the home of their biggest rivals.

The Cards' final regular-season road trip gets started with a four-game set at Wrigley, and amazingly it's only their second trip to the venerable ballpark this year. Chicago is about the only team that has consistently beaten St. Louis in 2005, so there's no guarantee of a cakewalk of a coronation weekend.

Jeff Suppan takes the ball for the visitors in the evening opener. Suppan, who paced the Cardinals staff with 16 wins in 2004, will be aiming for his 15th win of the '05 season. He's closing in on the .500 mark for his career at 92-94. Suppan has seen a few ups and downs, but for the most part he's pitched quite well in the second half, going 5-3 with a 2.85 ERA since the All-Star break. Over his last seven starts, he's 4-2 with a 1.69 ERA.

Mark Prior pitches for the Cubbies, and that's never an easy assignment for an offense. Prior has permitted three or fewer runs in seven straight starts, and he hasn't served up a homer in two September outings. He's been much more effective at home than on the road in 2005.

Pitching matchup
    STL: RHP Jeff Suppan
    • 14-10, 3.69 ERA in 2005
    • 0-1, 1.96 ERA vs. CHC in 2005

CHC: RHP Mark Prior
    • 11-5, 3.64 ERA in 2005
    • 1-0, 4.00 ERA vs. STL in 2005

Player to watch
    There are few batter-pitcher confrontations more entertaining than Albert Pujols vs. Prior. It's power and smarts against power and smarts, and Pujols thus far has held his own. He's 7-for-20 (.350) against Prior with three home runs and five walks.

Quotable
    "That mental aspect that we have with this club is what helps you survive during the months of June, July and August. That's the game right there. if you can mentally stay sharp through those tough times, you've got a good chance to win." -- David Eckstein

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • STL: FSN Midwest
    • CHC: WGN

On radio
    • STL: KMOX 1120
    • CHC: WGN 720

Quick hits
    The Cardinals are 4-8 against the Cubs. The only other teams against which St. Louis has a losing record are San Diego (3-4), Toronto (1-2) and Philadelphia (2-4). ... The Cardinals have lost three series since late June, all of them to the Cubs. ... Suppan has allowed only three homers over his last six starts. ... Suppan had one extra-base hit before this year, but he has three in 2005. ... Suppan was 62-75 before joining the Cardinals. He's 30-19 in a St. Louis uniform. ... Pujols has five homers in 44 at-bats against the Cubs this year. ... Chris Carpenter is 2-0 against the Cubs in 2005; the other four Cardinals starters are 0-7.

On deck
    • Friday: at Cubs, 2:20 p.m. CT
    • Saturday: at Cubs, 12:20 p.m. CT
    • Sunday: at Cubs, 1:20 p.m. CT

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Fuck the Cubs.
    The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

Win, please.

Comment

I want to see more hate and spite channeled into this thread.

I know you all have it in you.

Comment

Tug of War in the Olympics
          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908

Comment

http://uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/nat...l.php?year=1908
              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I still love this...

I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

http://www.psi.edu/projects/siberia/siberia.html

The Russians collected a number of accounts from eyewitnesses at the trading station, which was probably the closest permanent habitation. These included:

"I was sitting on the porch of the house at the trading station, looking north. Suddenly in the north...the sky was split in two, and high above the forest the whole northern part of the sky appeared covered with fire. I felt a great heat, as if my shirt had caught fire... At that moment there was a bang in the sky, and a mighty crash... I was thrown twenty feet from the porch and lost consciousness for a moment.... The crash was followed by a noise like stones falling from the sky, or guns firing. The earth trembled.... At the moment when the sky opened, a hot wind, as if from a cannon, blew past the huts from the north. It damaged the onion plants. Later, we found that many panes in the windows had been blown out and the iron hasp in the barn door had been broken."[/b][/quote]
                  A second witness said:
                  "I saw the sky in the north open to the ground and fire poured out. The fire was brighter than the sun. We were terrified, but the sky closed again and immediately afterward, bangs like gunshots were heard. We thought stones were falling... I ran with my head down and covered, because I was afraid stones may fall on it." [/b][/quote] [/b][/quote]
                  Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

The Great Chicago Fire

Comment

some of my favorites

Sponsor of:
                      Brian Elliott
                      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Sep 15 2005, 09:43 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Like a car crash, this super mullet is both disturbing and fascinating to observe.
                        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 15 2005, 09:47 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Guppy @ Sep 15 2005, 09:43 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Like a car crash, this super mullet is both disturbing and fascinating to observe.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          It was unreal! There were some Cubs fans in front of me taking the pictures and I told them that I had to get copies of them [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Sponsor of:
                          Brian Elliott

Comment

By the way, you know how the Wrigley scoreboard has never been hit by a batted ball? Albert will take care of that this series.
                            The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

QUOTE(gibsongirl @ Sep 15 2005, 10:15 AM) Quoted post

By the way, you know how the Wrigley scoreboard has never been hit by a batted ball? Albert will take care of that this series.
                              [/b][/quote]

I can't even see a juice McGwire doing that, but I'd love to see AP do that. It would mean something
                              Sponsor of:
                              Brian Elliott

Comment

Working...
                              X