• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigation: STL levee badly in need of repair

Created: 9/14/2005 5:10:15 PM
    Updated: 9/14/2005 6:18:13 PM

By Leisa Zigman
    I-Team

KSDK-NewsChannel 5 has learned the major 10.9 mile levee protecting the City of St. Louis need repair.

Project managers with The Army Corp of Engineers tell NewsChannel 5 the flood wall design of 50 years ago had mistakes, and the mistakes must be fixed.

In the flood of 1993, those mistakes became clear when water seeped under parts of the ten mile flood wall.

According to engineers, the water weakened the levee.

And new studies completed less than two months ago indicate the flood gates are corroding.

The NewsChannel 5 I-team has learned 13 flood gates must be permanently closed and filled with concrete. Twenty gates must be replaced.

Engineers must also install 70 new relief wells and replace 103 existing wells to fix under seepage.

Patrick O'Donnell, the Army Corps of Engineers Project Manager, says, "We estimate that if the flood of 93 happened again there is over a 90 percent probability that some component would fail. That doesn't mean there would be complete inundation. There's always a chance for emergency measures. There is some time."

According to O'Donnell, the fix will cost about $15-million.

Ten million would come from the federal government, and five million would come from the City of St. Louis.

We're told other levees around the country are in worse condition, and, as of today, its unclear whether any federal funds will head to St. Louis.

KSDK[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Well, if we ever get a Catagory 5 hurricane, let me know...I'll help sandbag again. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

And we've waited 12 years to do something about this?
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Any time a natural disaster occurs, local news outlets love to play the "OH MY FREAKING GOURD, IT'S GONNA HAPPEN HERE" card.

Earthquake = New Madrid Fault
        Flood = Great Flood of 93 revisited
        Tornado = Tornado of 1896 that destroyed much of St. Louis
        Blizzard = snow of 1982

and now

Hurricane = flood walls are going to rust completely through and cause St Louis to be under water the next time the Mississippi rises above flood stage

Comment

QUOTE(Damon @ Sep 14 2005, 11:40 PM) Quoted post

Any time a natural disaster occurs, local news outlets love to play the "OH MY FREAKING GOURD, IT'S GONNA HAPPEN HERE" card.

Blizzard = snow of 1982

[/b][/quote]

++

Dave Murray prays to his weather gods every year for this to happen.
          "We're going to get 14 inches of snow tonight!!!"
          His schtick gets so old, so fast...
          "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
          "I didn't know you
          had any feelings"

Comment

Hey, you know what? If the flood walls wash away and downtown St. Louis is under water...I'll be high and dry on my hill in St. Charles. Now, if I-70 in Earth City is under water...we're all fucked.

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
            Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
            Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

flood the city!

rebuild with trolleys!

Comment

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ranting2.gif[/img] BUSH [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ranting2.gif[/img]
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                X