Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeLay declares 'victory' in war on budget fat

DeLay declares 'victory' in war on budget fat

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said yesterday that Republicans have done so well in cutting spending that he declared an "ongoing victory," and said there is simply no fat left to cut in the federal budget.

Apparently, ol' gubbermint is a lean, mean, fighting machine. Who knew.

-MEHOP-

Yeah a 250 million dollar bridge for 50 people is "important infrastructure" Tom.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Speaking of Delay, just how much longer can this sleazy, slimeball last???

Grand Jury Indicts Two DeLay Associates

Seeing this guy go down is going to be a real pleasure.

Mr. G

Comment

What will wind up getting cut is the contractors who actually do what little work actually gets done. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(Mr. Goalie @ Sep 14 2005, 01:21 PM) Quoted post

Seeing this guy go down is going to be a real pleasure.

Mr. G
          [/b][/quote]

Well there's a statement of questionable intent.
          From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 14 2005, 12:26 PM) Quoted post

What will wind up getting cut is the contractors who actually do what little work actually gets done. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
            [/b][/quote]

... the contractors who actually do what little work actually gets done ... while doing shotty work at an inflated cost to the taxpayer of billions of dollars. $400.00 toilet seats, anyone? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Geez, why do I always think about Halliburton when I see a comment that implies that contracting out government work is the simple, obvious solution to federal inefficiencies. How soon some of you seem to forget about the many "Michael Browns" who are appointed to run federal agencies. And then, oh yes, there's Dick Cheney who decides-- I guess, in certain National Security situations-- who will get the (mucho dinero no-bid contracts).

Contracting out, could be, and may sound like a great idea, but politics often gets in the way.
            Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

"My answer to those that want to offset the spending is sure, bring me the offsets, I'll be glad to do it. But nobody has been able to come up with any yet," the Texas Republican told reporters at his weekly briefing.

Asked if that meant the government was running at peak efficiency, Mr. DeLay said, "Yes, after 11 years of Republican majority we've pared it down pretty good."[/b][/quote]

I took that as a tongue in cheek statement. Since nobody in congress brought him the offsets, then there can't possibly be any pork in the spending bills they've passed. And if there isn't any pork, then the Republicans can take credit. I'm pretty sure that was meant as a joke.

Comment

QUOTE(Damon @ Sep 15 2005, 07:33 AM) Quoted post

I took that as a tongue in cheek statement. Since nobody in congress brought him the offsets, then there can't possibly be any pork in the spending bills they've passed. And if there isn't any pork, then the Republicans can take credit. I'm pretty sure that was meant as a joke.
                [/b][/quote]

Dear Tom,

Don't quit your day job.

Thanks!
                Your friends list is empty

Comment

Working...
                X