• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinal girl please read

Man is charged with Mardi Gras robberies
    By Bill Bryan
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    02/22/2004

A man arrested Saturday night was charged Sunday in connection with the robbery of eight people as they walked to their cars following Mardi Gras festivities in Soulard.

Police also arrested another man suspected of breaking into several parked cars at the celebration Saturday night.

Those were the most serious arrests made in connection with Saturday's Mardi Gras Grand Parade and the hours of celebration following it in the Soulard neighborhood. More than 250 people were cited for mostly minor crimes, St. Louis police said Sunday.

It was the second consecutive year that police reported no serious incidents.

"The crowd behavior was consistent with previous years," said Lt. Col. Roy Joachimstaler, who has closely monitored Mardi Gras activities for several years.

A total of 244 summonses were issued to revelers, and 23 people were arrested and booked on suspicion of various crimes, police said. The most common offense was urinating in public (148 cases) and underage drinking (109).

"We've got an ongoing message to minors," Joachimstaler said. "You may think you're in a drinking zone down here (in Soulard) but you're not. We'll get you."

Also, police issued 11 summonses to minors possessing phony IDs; charged five women with lewd conduct for flashing their chests, charged two people with procuring liquor for a minor and arrested nine motorists on suspicion of driving under the influence.

There were a number of fights, but none of them resulted in serious injuries, Joachimstaler said.

Last year on the day of the grand parade, authorities issued 253 summonses and arrested and booked 31 others.

The crowd at parade time seemed larger this year than last year, Joachimstaler said, but no official crowd estimate was given. The night-time crowd seemed about the same size, he added.

The robbery suspect who was arrested was identified as Walter Sadler, 18, of the 10500 block of Count Drive in the Moline area of north St. Louis County. He was charged Sunday with eight counts of first-degree robbery in connection with street holdups at Missouri and Ann avenues; at Missouri and Russell Boulevard, at Texas Avenue and Sidney Street, and in the 2200 block of South Jefferson Avenue.

In each case, a man approached a couple walking to their car, displayed what appeared to be a pistol, and demanded money, police said. No one was injured. The gun turned out to be realistic-looking pellet gun, police said.

Sadler was arrested after Sgt. Robert Cooney of the Mobile Reserve spotted him while officers were looking for a person who had been breaking into cars.

A suspect in the car break-ins also was arrested but warrants had not yet been issued as of Sunday evening, police said.

I hope they got the guy.
    Sorry about your stolen purse.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Wow.

Thanks.
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

so that's what you were upset about. i hope they got they guy, and gave him a swift kick in the junk for good measure
      Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

charged five women with lewd conduct for flashing their chests,
        Is this the reference to CG?
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I was upset.

Actually, I was completely flipping out. I am fine though.

I had my license and debit card in my coat cos I kept needing them. I cancelled the credit cards that were in the purse.

If I don't get it back, it won't matter. Everything is replaceable.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Feb 23 2004, 02:52 PM
            charged five women with lewd conduct for flashing their chests,
            Is this the reference to CG?
            hee hee

NO!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Feb 23 2004, 02:31 PM
              Wow.

Thanks.
              No problem.

We all look out for each other.
              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
              X