GDT: Division Near-clinchers vs Cellar Dwellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Division Near-clinchers vs Cellar Dwellers

Like Eddie Perez to Greg Maddux, or Tim McCarver to Lefty Carlton, the man who reversed JMark's season is back to host another winning GDT.

Let's clinch...um, a tie or something!

Jason Marquis tries to get back to .500 on the year and put the Cardinals on the brink of a division title Wednesday afternoon. A 10-game stretch at home comes to an end with a day game, after which the Cards hit the road for their final road trip of the 2005 regular season.
    The Cards have narrowed their magic number to two. With a win and a Houston loss later on Wednesday night, they will win their second straight division title.

It's been a remarkable renaissance for Marquis, who has won three straight starts after losing seven in a row. In those games, all against playoff-contending teams, Marquis has allowed two earned runs over 26 innings. With one more win, he'll get back to the even-money mark for the season, and he still has an outside shot at joining teammates Chris Carpenter and Mark Mulder with 15 victories on the year.

It's hard to know what to expect from Pirates starter Oliver Perez. The left-hander emerged as a dominant force last season, but injuries and control troubles have limited his effectiveness in 2005. Perez will be making only his second start after missing two months with a broken toe.

The game will be the sixth-to-last regular-season tilt at Busch Stadium. Expected to turn over the countdown clock in right field from six to five is the greatest Cardinal of them all, Stan Musial.

Pitching matchup
    PIT: LHP Oliver Perez
    • 6-5, 6.16 ERA in 2005
    • 0-0, 6.00 ERA vs. STL in 2005

STL: RHP Jason Marquis
    • 12-13, 4.11 ERA in 2005
    • 0-1, 7.07 ERA vs. PIT in 2005

Player to watch
    Yadier Molina likely won't be batting fourth against Perez, as was the case against left-handers when Reggie Sanders was out. But he may hit like a cleanup man. For his career, Molina is 4-for-8 against Perez with a double and a home run.

Quotable
    "We worked hard to get here. Our club has been so relentless, and we're in a great position. ... The club has been absolutely relentless, and as strong-minded as you can be. This club is mentally and physically very, very tough." -- Manager Tony La Russa

[/b][/quote]

If, indeed, the Donora Flash is taking down his number today, I will be an absolute basket case.

Is it possible to have a man-crush on someone who played years before you were born?
    I like cheese.

In the case of Stan...absolutely, Trigger.

What true Cards fan doesnt have a complete and utter mancrush on Stan? The Donora Flash was indeed a once in a lifetime player.

Comment

I had the honor of watching Stan play a lot when I was a kid. My dad took my brother and I to Chicago to see him get his 3,000th hit. I got to see #2,999 and was told he would be held out until the next home game. We went home to St. Louis and listened on KMOX as he came up as a pinch-hitter and laced a double for #3,000. Got his autograph many times after home games. What a thrill it was to watch the easy way he played the game.
      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

What happened to Oliver Perez?
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(davhaf @ Sep 14 2005, 08:36 AM) Quoted post

I had the honor of watching Stan play a lot when I was a kid. My dad took my brother and I to Chicago to see him get his 3,000th hit. I got to see #2,999 and was told he would be held out until the next home game. We went home to St. Louis and listened on KMOX as he came up as a pinch-hitter and laced a double for #3,000. Got his autograph many times after home games. What a thrill it was to watch the easy way he played the game.
          [/b][/quote]

To quote Harry Caray on a call I've heard literally hundreds of times: "There it is, into left field, hit #3000, Musial on his way to second, with a double, Holy Cow!" I think that's pretty much word for word.

I remember as a kid of about 5 or 6 going to Sportsman's Park for Huckleberry Hound night at the ballpark and my dad pointing out #6 and telling me to remember that man because he would be the best ballplayer I'd ever see. I'm not sure he's the best but he's amongst them. I put Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Stan the Man, Pete Rose and Bob Gibson in a top 5. I say, let em fall out of the bag and where they land first through 5th, so be it.
          RIP Stan the Man
          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
          I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Sep 14 2005, 08:48 AM) Quoted post

What happened to Oliver Perez?
            [/b][/quote]

Walks and arm troubles, I think.

Comment

Marquis Fun Facts:

* Over his last five starts, Marquis has 62 ground outs and 31 fly outs, a 2:1 ratio.

* Marquis has issued just one walk over his last three starts.

* Marquis leads NL pitchers in hits, doubles, RBIs, total bases, extra-base hits, batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. And that's at the plate.

* With 15 1/3 innings over the remainder of the season, Marquis will set a new career high.

Troubles will still occasionally come his way (see: Carpenter last evening), and the two cannot be compared, but Marquis has probably be as on of late as we've ever seen him. Let's hope, besides the infrequent bump in the road, he's turned the corner for good. His presence in the post-season could prove invaluable.
              "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

I'm headed off to the game -

Go Cards!
                Feb. 08, 2005
                Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                Originally posted by Airshark
                NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Pittsburgh

Mclouth CF
                  Wilson SS
                  Bay LF
                  Mackowiak 3B
                  Wilson RF
                  Dourmit C
                  Eldred 1B
                  Sanchez 2B
                  Perez P

Cards

Eckstein SS
                  Grudz 2B
                  Pujols 1B
                  Gall LF
                  Taguchi CF
                  Seabol 3B
                  Diaz C
                  Luna RF
                  Marquis P

Comment

Gall LF
                    Taguchi CF
                    Seabol 3B
                    Diaz C[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
                    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Sep 14 2005, 12:54 PM) Quoted post

Gall LF
                      Taguchi CF
                      Seabol 3B
                      Diaz C[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
                      [/b][/quote]
                      It's 'Murderer's Row'...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Holy jebus - that is one weak-ass lineup...
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Grudz is back , thats a good sign.

Comment

Marquis should be hitting fifth or something...

Let's clinch in Chicago! Hey, Kool-Aid!

Comment

Nice start, J-Mark.

4-pitch K.
                              I like cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X