Who could it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who could it be?

This is a little old, but most of you may not have seen this....[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

08-24-05 Secret Squirrel spins on ... a female tv news anchor who-shall-not-be-named: Word from the salon is that (name redacted) is sporting a wig due to alopecia areata. Would love to know why no story on this? Are they waiting for November sweeps or something? Nothing to be ashamed of - you just get it - it's not bad hygiene or anything.[/b][/quote]

http://www.stlmedia.net/

Karen Foss? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

What Is Alopecia Areata?

Alopecia areata is considered an autoimmune disease, in which the immune system, which is designed to protect the body from foreign invaders such as viruses and bacteria, mistakenly attacks the hair follicles, the tiny cup-shaped structures from which hairs grow. This can lead to hair loss on the scalp and elsewhere.

In most cases, hair falls out in small, round patches about the size of a quarter. In many cases, the disease does not extend beyond a few bare patches. In some people, hair loss is more extensive. Although uncommon, the disease can progress to cause total loss of hair on the head (referred to as alopecia areata totalis) or complete loss of hair on the head, face, and body (alopecia areata universalis).

What Causes It?

In alopecia areata, immune system cells called white blood cells attack the rapidly growing cells in the hair follicles that make the hair. The affected hair follicles become small and drastically slow down hair production. Fortunately, the stem cells that continually supply the follicle with new cells do not seem to be targeted. So the follicle always has the potential to regrow hair.

Scientists do not know exactly why the hair follicles undergo these changes, but they suspect that a combination of genes may predispose some people to the disease. In those who are genetically predisposed, some type of trigger--perhaps a virus or something in the person's environment--brings on the attack against the hair follicles.

Who Is Most Likely To Get It?

Alopecia areata affects an estimated four million Americans of both sexes and of all ages and ethnic backgrounds. It often begins in childhood.

If you have a close family member with the disease, your risk of developing it is slightly increased. If your family member lost his or her first patch of hair before age 30, the risk to other family members is greater. Overall, one in five people with the disease have a family member who has it as well.

Will My Hair Ever Grow Back?

There is every chance that your hair will regrow, but it may also fall out again. No one can predict when it might regrow or fall out. The course of the disease varies from person to person. Some people lose just a few patches of hair, then the hair regrows, and the condition never recurs. Other people continue to lose and regrow hair for many years. A few lose all the hair on their head; some lose all the hair on their head, face, and body. Even in those who lose all their hair, the possibility for full regrowth remains.

In some, the initial hair regrowth is white, with a gradual return of the original hair color. In most, the regrown hair is ultimately the same color and texture as the original hair.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

I believe that Charlie Villaneuva is afflicted by this disease.
      On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 13 2005, 10:20 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

He reminds me of Uncle Fester from the Adams Family.
        LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Donna Savarese - no question.

She uses a Raggedy Ann amount of red blush to distract viewers from her hair and to the terrible makeup job on her face.

Just saying....
          'Ah, to be a bird. To fly the skies, sing your song, and best of all, occassionally pluck someone's eyes out.' - George Carlin.

Comment

QUOTE(dxchance @ Sep 14 2005, 11:22 AM) Quoted post

Donna Savarese - no question.

She uses a Raggedy Ann amount of red blush to distract viewers from her hair and to the terrible makeup job on her face.

Just saying....
            [/b][/quote]

She needs to tone that blush DOWN!

Comment

i bet it's that ann rubin chick. she looks like a vampire.
              Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Robin Smith [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(Turd Ferguson @ Sep 14 2005, 12:20 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

That's gonna dredge up some bad memories for SLU.

Dude's still in therapy after that "encounter."
                    I'm always right.

Comment

QUOTE(kaiser @ Sep 14 2005, 01:23 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Do tell about "the encounter".

Comment

QUOTE(hansolo @ Sep 14 2005, 12:28 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(kaiser @ Sep 14 2005, 01:23 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Do tell about "the encounter".
                        [/b][/quote]

Yeah Pucks, don't leave us hangin'.
                        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

I'd better let SLU do the honors. Maybe he'll regain some self-respect in the retelling of that particular nightmare.
                          I'm always right.

Comment

QUOTE(DC Santana @ Sep 13 2005, 09:35 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 13 2005, 10:20 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

He reminds me of Uncle Fester from the Adams Family.
                            [/b][/quote]

Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(kaiser @ Sep 14 2005, 12:34 PM) Quoted post

I'd better let SLU do the honors. Maybe he'll regain some self-respect in the retelling of that particular nightmare.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              Dude, she has hair everywhere
                              Are you on the list?

Comment

Working...
                              X