X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Problems: New Computer

Just got this new computer.

Turned it on for the first time and here's what I got:

Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. To address this problem, please contact your computer manufacturer. Windows must now shut down.[/b][/quote]

That's all I can get. Safe mode tells me that "The system is not fully installed. Please run setup again."

Is there anything I can do? It was bought online, so return is a hassle that should be avoided if at all possible.

Looking for any ideas. Thanks, as always, everyone!
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

New o/s disk or deal with the return.
    Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Do you have a restore disc?
      If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Buy a Mac.

(Seriously it's time to return or restore, depending upon the warranty)
        "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
        "I didn't know you
        had any feelings"

Comment

QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Sep 13 2005, 05:48 PM) Quoted post

It was bought online, so return is a hassle that should be avoided if at all possible.
          [/b][/quote]

I'd call who you bought it from...they may have a solution already.

Oh, and do you have access to a smart person?

Comment

QUOTE(Turd Ferguson @ Sep 13 2005, 04:50 PM) Quoted post

Do you have a restore disc?
            [/b][/quote]

I wouldn't listen to this guy winston, he doesn't even know the difference between a laptop and a scanner.
            "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
            "I didn't know you
            had any feelings"

Comment

QUOTE(210 @ Sep 13 2005, 02:54 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Sep 13 2005, 05:48 PM) Quoted post

It was bought online, so return is a hassle that should be avoided if at all possible.
              [/b][/quote]

I'd call who you bought it from...they may have a solution already.

Oh, and do you have access to a bright?

[/b][/quote]

fiXed
              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

dude you suck at computers!

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

No Brainer, if you just bought this thing take it back.
                  Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

is it a dell? If so dell is pretty good about sending out the restore disks with their machines....you should have a disk that says system restore....run that.

If you don't have anything like that you need to call the maker of the PC and tell them of your problem...they will be able to help you.

If you bitch enough you just might get a free printer or something like that for your troubles. Tell them that you had the people coming out to install broadband internet and wireless for your other machine....he was scheduled and now they couldn't work on it and you won't be able to have them out for another 2 weeks....if it is a major pc maker you will get something out of them...i speak from experience....

Comment

Well, I did call them and they had me restore from, I'm guessing, the restore partition on the hard drive.

It did allow me to setup Windows.

However, a couple of times the computer has just randomly restarted. Its kind of weird. I'm going to give it another day or so.
                      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Sep 14 2005, 03:48 PM) Quoted post

Well, I did call them and they had me restore from, I'm guessing, the restore partition on the hard drive.

It did allow me to setup Windows.

However, a couple of times the computer has just randomly restarted. Its kind of weird. I'm going to give it another day or so.
                        [/b][/quote]

Random restarts suck. Send it back. Could be a number of things motherboard and/or hard drive related. Check the windows event log and see if it's logging the restarts.

Comment

Its been running for a few hours now w/ no problems. I'll see how it goes for a couple more days before I send it back.

Such a pain. Its the one, major advantage of B&M stores.

Comment

Working...
                          X