Bush takes blame for flawed Katrina response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush takes blame for flawed Katrina response

This oughta get some attention from another thread...

Bush takes blame for flaws in Katrina response
    President heading to Louisiana on Thursday for primetime speech

The Associated Press
    Updated: 12:26 p.m. ET Sept. 13, 2005

WASHINGTON - President Bush said Tuesday that he takes responsibility for any federal failures in dealing with Hurricane Katrina, adding that the disaster raised broader questions about the government’s ability to respond to natural disasters as well as terror attacks.

“Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government,” Bush said when asked about the federal response at a White House news conference with the president of Iraq.

“To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility,” he said. “I want to know what went right and what went wrong.”

The president was asked whether people should be worried about the government’s ability to handle another terrorist attack given failures in responding to Katrina.

“Are we capable of dealing with a severe attack? That’s a very important question and it’s in the national interest that we find out what went on so we can better respond,” Bush replied.

As for blunders in the federal response, “I’m not going to defend the process going in,” Bush said. “I am going to defend the people saving lives.”

Bush’s meeting with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani came as the Bush administration’s top envoy in Iraq is warning that the U.S. is running out of patience with Syrian interference across the border and refusing to rule out military strikes or punishment from the United Nations in retaliation.

Bush is balancing a harried schedule of diplomatic duties — from Iraq to China and the United Nations — while working to stay on top of hurricane recovery efforts that most Americans say should be his No. 1 priority.

“I can do more than one thing at one time,” the president assured Monday on the first of two planned visits this week to the Gulf Coast. He’s fitting those in between meetings with world leaders who came to the United States for a gathering of the United Nations in New York.

Bush planned to publicly thank the global community for their contributions to storm relief but focus his speech on international issues like terrorism, trade and debt relief.

Back to Louisiana
    As Bush was preparing to leave Tuesday for the United Nations, the White House announced that he will address the nation Thursday in his first prime-time speech since the Hurricane Katrina disaster. He will speak from Louisiana at 9 p.m. ET as he again visits the hurricane-ravaged area.

Americans seem to have shifted their focus away from Iraq and terrorist threats to problems at home. For the first time since the terrorist attacks on the U.S. four years ago, a majority of Americans responding to a poll by the Pew Research Center last week said it is more important for the president to focus on domestic policy than the war on terrorism.

Another poll by Time magazine found six in 10 Americans think the U.S. should cut back spending on Iraq to help pay for the storm response, while about the same number favor a partial withdrawal of troops from Iraq to help with storm damage.

The president sharply disputed suggestions on Monday that the military is stretched too thin to help Iraq and the Gulf Coast rebuild.

“We’ve got plenty of troops to do both,” Bush said after his first on-the-ground tour of cleanup efforts in the streets of New Orleans. “It is preposterous to claim that the engagement in Iraq meant there wasn’t enough troops here, just pure and simple.”

The president said he’ll be in “constant touch” with hurricane recovery teams during his two-day trip to the United Nations. Bush’s busy schedule there includes one-on-one meetings with the leaders of China, Israel, Britain and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan in addition to General Assembly sessions. Aides arranged to keep him informed of hurricane response efforts at his regular morning briefings.

Putin meeting on Friday
    Russian President Vladimir Putin also was scheduled to visit the White House on Friday after Bush returns from his trip to Louisiana.

“By the time I’m finished (being) president, I hope you’ll realize that the government can do more than one thing at one time and individuals in the government can,” Bush told reporters Monday as he wrapped up a tour of New Orleans and Gulfport, Miss. “If I’m focusing on the hurricane, I’ve got the capacity to focus on foreign policy and vice versa.”

At the United Nations, the Bush administration is working to increase pressure on Syria, which the U.S. accuses of turning a blind eye to terror training camps on its soil.

The U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad, refused Monday to rule out either a military strike against Syria or punishment through the United Nations.

“Our patience is running out, the patience of Iraqis are running out. The time for decision ... has arrived for Damascus,” Khalilzad said in a news conference in Washington, where he was accompanying Talabani.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9324891/

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

I'm floored. Good on you, Bushie. A responsible message.
    No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
    President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
    President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

“I can do more than one thing at one time,” the president assured Monday on the first of two planned visits this week to the Gulf Coast.
      I'm floored, too.

Who knew?
      Your friends list is empty

Comment

"The 200,000,000,000 bucks stop here."

EDIT: CHA CHING!!$!!$!!
        Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Bush is a Jew!

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by mw.2@Sep 13 2005, 11:54 AM
            I'm floored. Good on you, Bushie. A responsible message.
            Responsbility and common sense. It's nice to see those two characteristics come out every once in a while.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
            Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
            Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
            Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
            NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
            LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane+Sep 13 2005, 12:03 PM-->
              QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Sep 13 2005, 12:03 PM)

Another Katrina thread
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

He had the right idea at first when he said "The response isn't adequate." Then Rove or someone told him to deflect blame. Now he's back to "I take responsibility." Which is good, but reminds me of the state of the union crap where he blamed the CIA and then finally came back and supposedly took responsibility ultimately.

Regardless, for many of us, it's no so much the excitement of casting blame on Bush but on wanting to make sure that this situation is Martzed, er, fixed for the next time.

Summation of that babble: I'm glad he said that, I hope he meant it, and I hope he follows through.
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Sep 13 2005, 12:26 PM
                  Another Katrina thread
                  I was trying to direct attention from the hot thread of the times...I figured this would work

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Sep 13 2005, 11:27 AM
                    He had the right idea at first when he said "The response isn't adequate." Then Rove or someone told him to deflect blame. Now he's back to "I take responsibility." Which is good, but reminds me of the state of the union crap where he blamed the CIA and then finally came back and supposedly took responsibility ultimately.

Regardless, for many of us, it's no so much the excitement of casting blame on Bush but on wanting to make sure that this situation is Martzed, er, fixed for the next time.

Summation of that babble: I'm glad he said that, I hope he meant it, and I hope he follows through.

just what exactly do you want him to "follow through on". do you want the federal government in complete control of all disaster plans? i dont. why would anyone want to create more bureau's of anything? the system in the past was the federal govt was the bank. they financed the clean up and build back. the state and local govt handled the actual emergency and immediate aftermath.

if you are wanting the feds to get involved in the actual emergency, we are walking on fine lines there. who's to say when the locals cant handle it. does the federal govt have to agree to each and every community's disaster plan and be prepared to step in? are we setting a precedent that would allow a president to take control of scenarios and power that he/she has no business being involved?

instead of focusing on creating more government involvement, there should be more focus on the state and local governments actually having a credible plan and the ability to complete it. look at it this way. if we create legislation to create a bureau and some sort of troops or force to deal with immediate emergency's i hope you all realize that it is the entire country that will pay for that. i.e. instead of each of us voluntarily contributing to disaster's as they occur, it will be mandatory donations via our taxes. i think i would rather decide if i want to pay for louisianna or alaska or maine or wherever.
                    Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by billiken_roy+Sep 13 2005, 11:42 AM-->
                      QUOTE(billiken_roy @ Sep 13 2005, 11:42 AM)

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Sep 13 2005, 12:47 PM-->
                      QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 13 2005, 12:47 PM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Sep 13 2005, 12:47 PM-->
                      QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 13 2005, 12:47 PM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by billiken_roy@Sep 13 2005, 11:42 AM
                      just what exactly do you want him to "follow through on".
                      Taking responsibility?

Enacting changes so that this doesn't happen again?

Firing political hacks from national security positions?
                      Your friends list is empty

Comment

Working...
                      X