Troy Smith named #1 QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troy Smith named #1 QB

This was a necessity if the Buckeyes really wanted to win the Big 10.

Smith’s workload about to increase
    He’ll get most snaps in practice this week
    Tuesday, September 13, 2005
    Tim May
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Quarterback Troy Smith led the Buckeyes to their only touchdown, a 36-yard pass to Santonio Holmes, in the loss to Texas.

Troy Smith is back at the front of the line of the Ohio State quarterbacks, coach Jim Tressel said last night, as the ninth-ranked Buckeyes prepared to rebound from their 25-22 loss to No. 2 Texas.

"We’re going into this week with the thought in mind that Troy will be the quarterback (against San Diego State) and have the most significant number of reps in practice, perhaps 75 percent to 80 percent," said Tressel, speaking on the Buckeye Roundtable radio show.

Smith had been No. 1 at the end of the regular season last year, taking over for injured Justin Zwick seven games in, then cementing his spot with 386 yards of total offense in the win over Michigan. But Smith was suspended for the Alamo Bowl and the season opener against Miami University for accepting $500 from a booster.

Zwick started those games and also got the first call Saturday night against Texas. But he and Smith split time in the loss.

Though Zwick had better numbers, Smith generated the team’s only touchdown, a 36-yard pass to Santonio Holmes. That tight end Ryan Hamby couldn’t get a grip on what would have been a TD pass from Zwick to increase the OSU lead to 10 points in the third quarter apparently is moot.

"Obviously (the quarterbacks) did not grade well enough for us to win, although I would say it wasn’t because of their performance we didn’t win," Tressel said.

But he said an explanation was needed in Smith’s case.

"The thing that I think some people fail to keep in mind was, that was Troy’s first game back after missing the bowl game . . . the opener and that’s week’s preparation along with some practice time in preseason," Tressel said.

On Saturday night, Tressel said Smith "was pressing a little bit, because he wanted so badly to make it happen for his team. So he probably was not as efficient as he could have been."

Tressel indicated sticking with one quarterback in practice last week might have helped that player to be better prepared.

"I think a big issue is preparation, and there’s only so many snaps in a practice," Tressel said. "There is a school of thought some coaches use that their No. 1 guy gets all the snaps, and the No. 2 better learn by watching . . . and I think there’s some validity to that."

He discounted the notion that not settling on one quarterback created a leadership void on offense, and sees the importance of naming a No. 1.

"The thing I think is neat about our guys is whoever walks into the huddle, they believe in him," Tressel said. "But there is no question about it, the quarterback is a natural leadership position."

Zwick will still get some snaps with the first team in practice, but the No. 1 spot belongs to Smith again.

"As we move forward into the San Diego State ballgame, Troy will get the bulk of the work," Tressel said. "And I expect him to play very well."
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

It's about fucking time.

Comment

Does his salary go up?

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 13 2005, 02:58 PM) Quoted post

Does his salary go up?
        [/b][/quote]

January called. It wants its joke back.

Comment

QUOTE(sherwood koho @ Sep 13 2005, 03:50 PM) Quoted post

Does his salary go up?
          [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Dayum
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Does his salary go up?
            [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Because they pay him. Get it?

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 13 2005, 03:54 PM) Quoted post

Does his salary go up?
              [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Because the joke is really old. Get it?

Comment

QUOTE(sherwood koho @ Sep 13 2005, 03:55 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 13 2005, 03:54 PM) Quoted post

Does his salary go up?
                [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Because the joke is really old. Get it?
                [/b][/quote]

No.

Sorry, Troy.

Comment

OSU FOOTBALL
                  No more flip-flopping with QBs
                  Tressel hints at making mistake, settles on Smith as starter
                  Wednesday, September 14, 2005
                  Ken Gordon
                  THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Admitting mistakes is hard for Jim Tressel, at least publicly.

But the Ohio State coach came close yesterday as he discussed his reasons for naming Troy Smith the starting quarterback for the foreseeable future.

Clearly, the flip-flopping between Smith and Justin Zwick last Saturday was a factor in OSU’s 25-22 loss to Texas. Players universally agreed it was tough to get into a rhythm with Smith and Zwick tag-teaming.

"In the heat of that battle, rotating was kind of frustrating for those guys to lead the team," receiver Santonio Holmes said. "And with the situation now being settled, I think our offense and our team will probably be more comfortable with it."

Smith said it was "kind of" hard to get into a rhythm, then added, "when you know the certainty that you’re going to (start), you’re able to focus in a little more."

Tressel, though, resisted that line of thinking, at least for a while. Asked if he had secondguessed himself on which quarterback he played when on Saturday, Tressel said flatly, "No."

Later, though, when pressed on what had tipped the scales to Smith, Tressel said, "You have to make decisions, and I’ve never pretended that every decision I’ve made was right and I’ve been reminded of that."

Call it a mea sorta culpa.

In any case, Tressel made it clear that this change was not intended to be temporary. And it also was not made because of anything that happened Saturday.

By most measuring sticks, the comparison of Zwick and Smith in the Texas game would have to be called a draw.

Zwick was 9-of-15 passing for 66 yards and rushed five times for 11 yards. He lost one fumble and was victimized by at least two dropped passes, including a sure touchdown to Ryan Hamby.

Smith was 5-of-11 passing for 78 yards and a touchdown and rushed 13 times for 27 yards. He recovered his own fumble once and had several passes nearly intercepted.

And while most fans debated all the near misses and "whatifs" — such as Hamby’s gaffe — Tressel said no one or two plays Saturday would have changed his decision to go to Smith this week.

"I think that throughout the course of time, it’s demonstrated (why Smith should start)," he said. "We’ve had lots of practices, lots of games. It’s not like we’re guessing on some people that haven’t been around for a while.

"We had the data of a year ago and we had the data of spring practice and we had the data of preseason and we had the data of the first two games."

In other words, Smith earning the leading role is something of a lifetime achievement award, going back to his 4-1 record as a starter late last season.

For what it’s worth, coach Tom Craft of San Diego State (0- 2), OSU’s opponent this week, was not surprised that Smith would start.

"We expected to see Smith," Craft said.

Tressel would not guarantee Zwick any playing time Saturday.

Zwick was not made available for comment yesterday, per Tressel’s directive. But Tressel said he expected him to react to the benching with class.

"He’s interested in our team. He wants to do all he can to help," Tressel said. "Watching his immediate reactions or what people say, quite honestly I don’t put a whole lot of credence in. I like to watch their long-term (reaction). I thought his practice demeanor and habits and intensity were just fine."

In contrast, Smith said his demeanor against Texas was not fine. He admitted he was too hyped up and also very rusty.

"A game that big, it kind of gets your emotions flaring," he said. "Now the game will start to slow down more and more."

An almost audible sigh of relief rose from the team’s practice complex with the news. The quarterback controversy was settled, now it was time to get going.

Offensive tackle Rob Sims said, "I’m sure it will be smooth sailing from here."[/b][/quote]
                  You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Nate or Sherwood: You guys been writing letters again?

Ohio State TE receives hate e-mail
                    / FOXSports.com
                    Posted: 35 minutes ago

Ohio State tight end Ryan Hamby has received a couple of hate letters since dropping a sure touchdown pass during the Buckeyes' loss to Texas last week.

Cutting over the middle into the end zone, Hamby was open when Justin Zwick's pass bounced off his chest and into the air. He had a second chance to grab it but was slammed by a defender just as the ball touched his hands.
                    A touchdown would have given Ohio State a 10-point lead in the third quarter. The Buckeyes ended up settling for a field goal and eventually lost 25-22 to Texas.

"I can't think about it too much because we still have a lot of football to play," he said as the ninth-ranked Buckeyes prepared for Saturday's game with San Diego State. "I'm not going to lie. I think about it some times. But you've just got to move on."

A senior from Cincinnati, Hamby said he had a sleepless night after dropping the pass.

"I just came open and, I don't know, it all happened so fast," he said. "I knew I caught the ball and it got knocked out of my hands. I was kind of laying there thinking, 'Man, I wish that didn't happen.' But it's part of life and you've got to deal with it."

Asked about the content of the letters, Hamby said, "I'm not going to talk about them, but they're just dumb things. You almost want to say, 'You know, in the scheme of life there are things going on around the world. It's just a game."'

Several of Hamby's teammates supported him Tuesday, saying that there were plenty of opportunities to win the game regardless of what happened on that one play.

"It kind of makes me upset that people would do that to him," linebacker Anthony Schlegel said. "I don't see them out there."

Hamby said he was doing his best to forget the play - and the ugliness of the fans.

"I've thought about it and stuff and it's hard, but you've got to deal with it," Hamby said. "I've got my teammates, coach (Jim) Tressel - everybody's behind me. So I'm not going to worry about it. We've got San Diego State and we've got to focus on that."
                    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

I saw that on the Columbus Dispatch website and was gonna post it, but didn't because I figured people were tired of Ohio State threads.

Comment

That fucker should've caught the pass.

Comment

Working...
                        X