Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horns, Buckeyes Live Up To the Hype

This is from ESPN insider.

Upon further review ... Texas fans left Saturday night's battle against the Buckeyes with a big ol' smile on their faces. I left the game just as giddy as anybody. Not pulling for anybody, mind you, but thrilled that I had a chance to witness the game. There was a reported record crowd of over 105,000 in attendance -- creating an atmosphere as good as any I've seen. And I've seen most of the good ones!

I thought Texas would win the game because of Vincent Young. But it was the Texas defense that pulled UT through this 25-22 victory. Sure, Young took his huddle down the field when he had to. But I sat there and kept waiting for the Longhorns' defense to get tired of chasing the speedy Buckeyes. It never happened. As they say on the sidelines, "They sucked it up, boys."

During one of our TV shows Saturday, I made the comment that we were all very lucky to be able to see these two teams play each other. Most schools are looking for "layup" out-of-conference games. Some cream-puff schools are getting hundreds of thousands of dollars to go play the big fellas. While that's great for the small-budget programs, it does nothing to provide games like the one we saw Saturday night in Columbus, Ohio.

Why not reward Texas and Ohio State with a big payday for having the courage to play each other? Why not? Give both schools a million dollars or more for stepping up to the plate!

What's the downside? In the Buckeyes' case, they lost but played well. I'm an AP voter who had OSU ranked third going into the game. Texas was No. 2. I placed my vote Sunday morning and still had Texas at 2 and OSU at 3! I'll take OSU over LSU, Tennessee or Virginia Tech at this point in the season. Nobody's played as tough a game as these two did on Saturday.

And no, I didn't forget about the Miami-Florida State game. I was on the sidelines for that one, too.

Why would I penalize Ohio State for losing to the No. 2 team in the country? Especially when I think it was a well-played game. Yes, I did see the fumbles and interceptions, but those are expected when unbelievable speed and talent are going at each other. The Buckeyes came up just short of a victory. Somebody had to lose, and I thought it would be OSU on the short end. So I wasn't surprised.

Again, congratulations to both teams and thanks for the contest!
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Ohio State wasn't as overrated as Michigan coming into the season.

But while ut was a fun game to watch, OSU looked shaky and probably should have won that game.
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

bump for sherwood.
      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

During one of our TV shows Saturday, I made the comment that we were all very lucky to be able to see these two teams play each other. Most schools are looking for "layup" out-of-conference games. Some cream-puff schools are getting hundreds of thousands of dollars to go play the big fellas. While that's great for the small-budget programs, it does nothing to provide games like the one we saw Saturday night in Columbus, Ohio.

Why not reward Texas and Ohio State with a big payday for having the courage to play each other? Why not? Give both schools a million dollars or more for stepping up to the plate!
        ++

I'm an AP voter who had OSU ranked third going into the game. Texas was No. 2. I placed my vote Sunday morning and still had Texas at 2 and OSU at 3! I'll take OSU over LSU, Tennessee or Virginia Tech at this point in the season. Nobody's played as tough a game as these two did on Saturday.
        James is awesome. I am glad he did this. I wish the other voters did the same thing. Until it happens, we won't see many of these awesome OOC games because one team will be knocked out of the race too early.

The NCAA should have a mandate against scheduling OOC cream puffs. They should limit the number you can play to 2. They should require the third game to be played between the top tiers of teams in the BCS conferences based on the previous years rankings. I know I am just talking out my ass since these games have to be scheduled years in advance, but it would be sweet to see it across the board.

Comment

I haven't said a whole lot because I don't even know how to explain it.

We all know the way the polls work and its tough for me to say Ohio State shouldn't drop in the polls, but with that said, I have no doubt in my mind Ohio State beats alot of these other "top 10" teams with relative ease. The class of college football in 2005 is USC, Texas, LSU, and Ohio State.

With Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Louisiana State all meeting each other, FSU and Florida playing...It looks like every team ranked above Ohio State (with the exception of USC or Texas - I will not predict either to lose) will probably lose a game this year. I was actually pretty happy with their move in the polls, I think the voters did a pretty good job, in not totally removing Ohio State from the national picture...if they can take care of business in the Big 10, they'll be back near the top of the BCS come seasons end.

What James writes about the atmosphere and the feeling surrounding the game on Saturday is all true. That anticipation for that game all week, on game day, and during the actual game, felt like Michigan week on steroids....It felt bigger. For me to actually be able to say that feels weird. It was great for college football, no question about it.

Comment

I agree that OSU should not be penalized too much for the loss to Texas. Unlike the Miami-Florida State game, I thought both Texas and OSU justified their high ranking. Notre Dame also deserved a big jump after a solid win over Michigan. I doubt they will stay in the top ten but there is no denying they deserve it after Week 2.

I cut LSU some slack because of the circumstances surrounding their opener. However, they need to show more if they expect to keep their high ranking. They were fortunate to win against ASU. ASU played to the level of their 16th ranking.

My early surprise is Florida. Meyer has got the team moving in the right direction. I see this team getting better with every outing as the offense gets familar with Meyer's offense.

I am not convinced California is a top ten team. The QB is very average and injuries are already taking a toll.

Can someone explain the love for Virginia Tech?
            "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws@Sep 12 2005, 03:39 PM
              Can some explain the love for Virginia Tech?
              Marcus Vick.

It's all in the name.
              His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
              Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

I think OSU gets a BCS bid, but they have their backs against the wall to get even that. With Purdue likely to run the table, the best OSU could hope for is a share of the Big 10 title. Since Purdue would be undefeated, they would get the automatic bid, leaving an at large bid the only hope for OSU.

But you are correct. If the SEC teams knock each other around, and Va Tech loses to Miami, or Fla St in the title game. We are looking at the very real possibility of being in the top 3.

If USC loses like everyone suspects they will, or UT stumbles against Ok, then we still have a very real, but slim shot at playing for the title against either of these teams (a rematch would be sweet, with a rematch of that next year in Austin). And who knows where Notre Dame will end up in all this. How weird would it be to have both UT and USC lose, and ND and OSU run the table from here on out (they would obviously have to knock off USC to do this), and have the national championship game consist of 2 at large bids?

Of course it all comes down to that one ugly word: Michigan. When was the last time we won the Big 10 on their field? Man I love college football.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws@Sep 12 2005, 04:39 PM
                  I agree that OSU should not be penalized too much for the loss to Texas. Unlike the Miami-Florida State game, I thought both Texas and OSU justified their high ranking. Notre Dame also deserved a big jump after a solid win over Michigan. I doubt they will stay in the top ten but there is no denying they deserve it after Week 2.

My early surprise is Florida. Meyer has got the team moving in the right direction. I see this team getting better with every outing as the offense gets familar with Meyer's offense.
                  Notre Dame has the weirdest schedule I have ever seen. But if they make it through the next 3 games, look out.

I think Chris Leak puts together a better season than Vince Young, but won't get near the attention.

Comment

I don't think Purdue will go undefeated.

They have a history of losing winnable games...It's a Joe Tiller trademark.

Comment

A rematch with Texas in the Rose Bowl would be insane.

To go from having never played them to having played them 3 times in less then a calendar year...A guy can hope.

Comment

Working...
                      X