Attention whore alert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention whore alert!

I picked up "The Brights" thing from James Randi's website. He supports the idea and provided a link, so I thought it might be a good idea too.

The thought behind it is that people who don't believe in supernatural forces have negative labels (atheist, agnostic, cynic, etc). Some guy in California came up with term "bright" as a new description for people like me. It was supposed to catch on in a manner similar to the way the positive term "gay" caught on for homosexuals.

At first I thought it made sense, but now I'm afraid it doesn't accomplish what it should. I write "I'm a Bright" and people read "I'm an asshole".

Am I wrong about this?

FWIW, I'm pretty comfortable with my IQ. I realize I'm not the smartest guy around. I have a very difficult time understanding the theory of relativity, for example. I don't know it all, and I hope I never come across as a know-it-all.

Also as an aside, my knowledge of chemistry is restricted to mixology, and I'm not even very good at that. I couldn't make meth if I had to. I would have blown myself up a long time ago.

Let the abuse begin.

Hey I'm a bright too.

Comment

You are both faggot retards.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Sep 12 2005, 01:16 PM
        You are both faggot retards.

Moon
        Go with "gay". That's a positive term.

Comment

This is bordering on kjoe-ness.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic@Sep 12 2005, 12:22 PM
            This is bordering on kjoe-ness.
            you're bright.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Sep 12 2005, 12:23 PM-->
              QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Sep 12 2005, 12:23 PM)

Originally posted by Celtic+Sep 12 2005, 01:24 PM-->
              QUOTE(Celtic @ Sep 12 2005, 01:24 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 12:23 PM

Why am I not surprised?

"Gay" is more positive than "queer" or "sodomite". Before it was a term for homosexuals, even Fred Flinstone was having a "gay old time", and he didn't even have to blow Barney to do it.

But, back to the point. Is "bright" too arrogant sounding?

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan@Sep 12 2005, 01:29 PM
                Before it was a term for homosexuals, even Fred Flinstone was having a "gay old time", and he didn't even have to blow Barney to do it.

That's what YOU think.

YABBA DABBA DOOOOO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thetorch@Sep 12 2005, 12:14 PM
                  Hey I'm a bright too.
                  This should be all you need to know

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

but are you the brightest bulb in he box?
                    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan@Sep 12 2005, 11:29 AM
                      Why am I not surprised?

"Gay" is more positive than "queer" or "sodomite". Before it was a term for homosexuals, even Fred Flinstone was having a "gay old time", and he didn't even have to blow Barney to do it.

But, back to the point. Is "bright" too arrogant sounding?
                      The problem is that most people don't know the difference between the word "Skeptic" and "Cynic", nor do they get that "atheist" means "no belief in God", and not "belief in no God".

"Bright" isn't arrogant. It's just that people who do believe in the supernatural necessarily have to suspend rational evaluation of their beliefs, and don't like being told that they are doing so, even in a second-handed way like this. You think the Torch pisses people off? Try posting that "people who believe in God are necessarily unthinking". Better still, consider that if instead of your "Brights" avatar that you used an icon of Jesus on the cross, and the word "Believer". Think you wouldn't get some flack?

Until very recently, I thought your avatar referred to a band I'd never heard of - it looks like a shot of an old album cover.

Comment

Not to pick your nit, but....

a·the·ist
                        n.

One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
                        ag·nos·tic
                        n.

1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.

Comment

So people who are agnostic don't want to be called agnostic because it hurts their feelings?
                          I'm always right.

Comment

Working...
                          X