Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did on my early-fall vacation

Observations from my first and only Cardinal game this year:

1. It's not a good idea to drive from Des Moines to St. Louis, see a ballgame, then drive back to Des Moines in one day, just because your kid has to be at church. Take my word for it.

2. Saw Jeff Suppan hit a home run and Mike Piazza get hit in the head. Don't see those every day.

3. During eighth inning Bud jingle, a bunch of college-aged guys snake-danced through the stands. Very funny.

4. Before they opened the gates, saw three different wedding parties show up to get photos taken in front of Musial statue. Two groups showed up at same time. I thought there was going to be a rumble. One group wore Cardinal jerseys. The bridesmaid in the Taguchi jersey was hot.

5. Real steak steakburgers and real milk milkshakes are overrated, especially when you have a five-hour drive in front of you.

6. Coolest thing: Before the game, the Down's Syndrome Association had some sort of deal. A child ran to each position and waited for a ballplayer to join them. The kid got an autograph and stood there for God Bless America and National Anthem. Larry Walker had his arm around the boy who was with him during both songs. It was really neat. (Boy wore shirt with KAISER on the back.)

7. Tony LaRussa and coaches ran from dugout to tear down the No. 10. Not as rousing an ovation for TLR as I would have thought. Warm enough, but not like a curtain call sort of cheer.

8. Took many photos of new stadium. Doesn't really knock me off my feet, but it's early. Got to wait till they get scoreboards and stuff up.

9. Einar Diaz did not play. You can't ask for much more than that.

10. Bought a "got albert?" T-shirt. Will impress my many Redbird friends.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

Glad you made it here and back safely. Steak N Shake does indeed suck. My friend had Suppan's HR in the palm of his hand before losing it to a guy sitting behind him. He says his hand is still in pain.

Comment

6. Coolest thing: Before the game, the Down's Syndrome Association had some sort of deal. A child ran to each position and waited for a ballplayer to join them. The kid got an autograph and stood there for God Bless America and National Anthem. Larry Walker had his arm around the boy who was with him during both songs. It was really neat. (Boy wore shirt with KAISER on the back.)[/

There is a joke here, but I don't want to go to hell, so I'll leave it alone.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by TripMcNeely@Sep 12 2005, 10:10 AM
        Glad you made it here and back safely. Steak N Shake does indeed suck. My friend had Suppan's HR in the palm of his hand before losing it to a guy sitting behind him. He says his hand is still in pain.
        I had a great view of it. In fact, I mentioned to the guy next to me that the poor guy deserved to have the baseball. He was sitting in the very last seat in the overhang (loge?) part. I thought it hit him in the stomach/chest, too.

I also saw some poor bastard stick his hand out on a foul ball that was hit pretty hard. No baseball worth that. (He didn't even get it. It deflected and went about 15 rows farther back.)
        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

Glad you and your kid got to see a great game!
          Are you on the list?

Comment

Oh, next time tell your boy 'son, we were just AT church!'
            Are you on the list?

Comment

Aw the trip from Des Moines to St. Louis -

When I was a younger man I made it many times.

Steak and Shake would have been fine had you not been in car but it was leagues better than White Castle and a long drive.

Next time - we will have to put you up for the night. Steve1 and Guppy have plenty of room.
              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan+Sep 12 2005, 10:17 AM-->
                QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 12 2005, 10:17 AM)

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Sep 12 2005, 10:11 AM
                6. Coolest thing: Before the game, the Down's Syndrome Association had some sort of deal. A child ran to each position and waited for a ballplayer to join them. The kid got an autograph and stood there for God Bless America and National Anthem. Larry Walker had his arm around the boy who was with him during both songs. It was really neat. (Boy wore shirt with KAISER on the back.)[/

There is a joke here, but I don't want to go to hell, so I'll leave it alone.

No, no, do tell.
                I'm always right.

Comment

This would be a great thread if it was actually early-fall, instead of late-summer.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan@Sep 12 2005, 11:07 AM
                    6. Coolest thing: Before the game, the Down's Syndrome Association had some sort of deal. A child ran to each position and waited for a ballplayer to join them. The kid got an autograph and stood there for God Bless America and National Anthem. Larry Walker had his arm around the boy who was with him during both songs. It was really neat. (Boy wore shirt with KAISER on the back.)
                    He'll be a hit when the new yard opens...

And Steak 'N Shake is great.
                    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB+Sep 12 2005, 11:12 AM-->
                      QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 12 2005, 11:12 AM)

Originally posted by kaiser+Sep 12 2005, 12:28 PM-->
                      QUOTE(kaiser @ Sep 12 2005, 12:28 PM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 11:12 AM

That's even more magnificent.

Do I have to pay someone for this to happen?
                      I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by jerkstore@Sep 12 2005, 12:08 PM
                        The guy who picked it up was a season ticket holder and he played some hardball with the Cards staff, who obviously wanted it back. I think he ended up with a signed ball and bat and was able to personally hand the ball to Suppan. This was only after a few chats with the staff asking for signed jerseys, etc. At one point, he even spoke with Suppan's agent, who treated him like crap, so I'm not sure how far that got him.
                        People never cease to amaze me.

Just give him the goddamn ball.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X