Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: Pirates (57-85) vs Cardinals (91-53)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Pirates (57-85) vs Cardinals (91-53)

Game time: 7:10 CDT

Mark Mulder
    3-0, 1.57 vs Pit in 2005
    5-0, 2.17 vs Pit lifetime
    7-3, 2.70 at home in 2005

Mark Redman
    0-2, 11.00 vs StL in 2005
    1-2, 7.63 vs StL lifetime
    1-7, 5.86 on the road in 2005

Mulder is 2-2, 2.61 his last 5 starts. The Cardinals are 7-3 his last 10 starts.
    Redman is 0-3, 6.31 his last 5 starts. The Pirates are 1-9 his last 10 starts.

vs Redman
    Eckstein 12-22, 2hr, 7rbi
    Edmonds 2-8, 1hr, 3rbi
    Grudzielanek 3-7, 1rbi
    Molina 4-4, 1hr, 3rbi
    Pujols 2-6
    Taguchi 1-3, 1rbi

GO CARDS!
    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Pick up my slack, Taz. I dropped the ball yesterday.

Comment

This should be interesting...

Mulder has been stellar the past 5 starts+...

Let's hope the trend continues...

Comment

Nice steal there Jewboy. I hope you know how much pressure is on you to come through tonight. That's my boy pitching and you better not screw it up. Let's stay POSITIVE with him and he will deliver. No kicks to the nutsack for MarkyMark. Now MattyMo, that's another story and while we're at it how about a kick to the nutsack for Glovey too!

Pittsburgh (57-85) at St. Louis (91-53)

Preview - Box Score - Recap

Game Info: :10 pm CDT Mon Sep 12, 2005
        TV: FSP, FSMW

Starting Pitchers

M. Redman Pit vs. M. Mulder StL

5-15 Record 15-7
        4.98 ERA 3.54
        97 K 99
        55 BB 59
        18 HR 16

Mark Mulder has done everything asked of him and more in his first season with the St. Louis Cardinals.
        The veteran left-hander will look to turn in his fifth straight stellar start when he takes the mound for the Cardinals in the opener of a three-game series with the lowly Pittsburgh Pirates.

Mulder is 2-1 with two complete games in his last four starts, giving up four earned runs in 34 innings for a 1.06 ERA. However, despite giving up two runs in his third complete game of the year, Mulder took the loss in a 2-1 defeat to the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday.

He gave up 10 hits, struck out three and didn't issue a walk during the 96-pitch effort.

``When I'm throwing a good sinker, I get a lot of quick outs,'' said Mulder, who fell to 15-7. ``If I get beat, I want to get beat on my best pitches and that's what happened. I can handle that.''

Mulder has been especially good against Pittsburgh, holding them to a .145 batting average in going 3-0 with a 1.57 ERA in three starts this season. For his career, Mulder is 5-0 with a 2.17 ERA in five starts against the Pirates.

Having enjoyed a huge lead in the NL Central all season, St. Louis is just biding its time before the playoffs. The Cardinals are coming off taking three of four from the New York Mets, including Sunday's 7-2 loss.

The Cardinals advanced only two runners into scoring position the first seven innings against Pedro Martinez, who benefited from four double plays.

Despite the loss, the Cardinals are 6-3 in September and own a 14-game lead over wild card leader Houston in the NL Central.

The Pirates have lost eight of 10, including a 5-3 defeat to Cincinnati on Sunday. They are 2-3 under interim manager Pete Mackanin, who replaced Lloyd McClendon on Tuesday. The former Pittsburgh bench coach said no one's job is set in stone.

``There really is no set lineup. There's nobody that I feel is deserving of any (specific) spot in the order,'' he said. ``We're mixing and matching every day.''

Pittsburgh, which has scored first in 16 of its last 18 road games, is 16-22 against left-handed starters this season. The Pirates' 160 wins at Busch Stadium are the most by any visiting team.
        RIP Stan the Man
        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
        I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy@Sep 12 2005, 08:38 AM
          Nice steal there Jewboy. I hope you know how much pressure is on you to come through tonight. That's my boy pitching and you better not screw it up. Let's stay POSITIVE with him and he will deliver. No kicks to the nutsack for MarkyMark. Now MattyMo, that's another story and while we're at it how about a kick to the nutsack for Glovey too!
          Anti-Semitic hate speech.
          RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
          You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Redman is 5-15? Damn.
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by JWB+Sep 12 2005, 08:40 AM-->
              QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 12 2005, 08:40 AM)

JH,

Will your vagina be jinxing Mulder tonight?
              If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Sep 12 2005, 09:02 AM
                JH,

Will your vagina be jinxing Mulder tonight?

I'm a small part of the reason he has been so successful this year. JustWondrin wanted to kick him in his nutsack and I talked him out of it.
                RIP Stan the Man
                The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                I miss TLR!

Comment

Any word on wether Walker will play tonight or not???
                  I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Will Method Man be able to convert on a save opportunity if Redman can go deep in the game?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Pirates Notebook: Feuding with Cardinals not likely to be on tap
                      Monday, September 12, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MINOR-LEAGUE REPORT

Yesterday's results

INDIANAPOLIS won at Buffalo, 6-4, in Game 5 to win its best-of-five, first-round International League playoff series. The Indians will face Toledo in the league championship series, which begins tomorrow. RHP Justin Reid (9.82) allowed four runs and six hits in 4 2/3 innings. RHP Mark Corey (2.25) recorded his third save with a scoreless ninth. 3B Jose Bautista (.250) and C Ronny Paulino (.158) each hit three-run home runs. Paulino's came in the eighth and turned a 4-3 deficit into a 6-4 lead. He had been 2 for 19 in the series to that point.

ALTOONA lost at Akron, 6-4, in Game 5 to lose its best-of-five, first-round Eastern League playoff series. LHP Shane Youman (6.75) allowed three runs and eight hits in four innings. RHP Justin Kaye (9.00) allowed the winning run in the seventh inning to break a 4-4 tie. DH Adam Boeve (.368) hit his third and fourth home runs and had three RBIs.

WILLIAMSPORT was off. It trails its best-of-three, first-round New York-Penn League playoff, 1-0.

CINCINNATI -- Feud?

What feud?

That seems to be the stance taken by the Pirates in advance of a meeting with the St. Louis Cardinals tonight at Busch Stadium. This despite being less than three weeks removed from their Aug. 24 batting practice battle at PNC Park and a few nasty barbs exchanged publicly afterward.

"As far as I'm concerned, there's a fresh slate," interim manager Pete Mackanin said.

"I don't think anything's going to happen," reliever Rick White said.

There appears to be grounds for that line of thinking.

For one, Lloyd McClendon was fired as manager Tuesday. He and his St. Louis counterpart, Tony La Russa, had been the focal points of the teams' recent history of animosity.

For another, hitting coach Gerald Perry, the man suspended eight games by Major League Baseball for punching Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan in that skirmish, is not eligible to return until the series finale Wednesday.

Finally, and perhaps most important, the players never were much of a factor in the mess.

"The players never really had a beef with anything," White said. "When that whole thing happened behind the batting cage, the players were just standing there talking to each other."

White's tight pitch to St. Louis' Hector Luna the night before the incident prompted a complaint from La Russa and, ultimately, Duncan to approach White to ask about his intent. The latter led to the heated exchange between the team's coaching staffs.

Asked if the matter has been diffused, White replied, "I thought it was diffused the day everything happened. I don't see any reason why it would still be going on. It's not like I hit anybody. If you look at the pitch, it was barely off the inside part of the plate. The guy was diving after it, looking for something outside. Tony made a little bit of a stink about it, and then it was settled the next day. As far as I'm concerned, it's over with."

Mackanin said he will not issue any instructions about behavior in the series.

"I believe I have no right to tell anybody how to emote. That's up to them as grown men," he said. "I don't feel a necessity to even address the situation. I just want it to go away."

He added his feeling that McClendon's absence could provide a key variable toward peace.

"I think the whole environment's changed because Lloyd's not here. If there was any animosity involving Lloyd, that's gone."

North Side notches

Zach Duke will not rejoin the rotation tomorrow in St. Louis as the Pirates had hoped. His sprained left ankle showed continued signs of slight tenderness, and management decided to hold him back until the next series, which begins Friday with a doubleheader against Cincinnati at PNC Park. "We're being cautious," general manager Dave Littlefield said. Duke pitched his regularly scheduled bullpen session yesterday.

Duke's place tomorrow will be taken by Josh Fogg. The swelling on his bruised throwing hand has subsided, and he had no difficulty with a bullpen session yesterday.

With Class AAA Indianapolis winning its playoff series last night in Buffalo and advancing to the International League final, the Pirates likely will go without more September call-ups until after the Indians are eliminated, Littlefield said. Duke's imminent return and the resultant bump of a starter, he added, should be enough to help the battered bullpen.
                      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Emote?
                        The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

Mulder won't give up another run.

We're gonna win this game.
                          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Reggie Sanders bats. Welcome back, Reggie.

It's awfully depressing to look at a lineup and see "Seabol 1B".
                            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Working...
                            X