X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusty on the lack of Black players, his future

Cubs' Baker sees a reason for lack of black players currently in baseball
    By Rick Hummel

If Lloyd McClendon hadn't been derricked a few days ago as the manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Cardinals would have played three straight series on this home stand against teams managed by African Americans.

Dusty Baker's Chicago Cubs were followed by Willie Randolph's New York Mets, which will be followed by the Pirates but without McClendon. Counting Frank Robinson with Washington, the National League had four African-American managers, or 25 percent of its managerial rolls.

That is a significant statistic but probably not as significant as the fact than just under 10 percent of the players in the league are African Americans.

Baker agreed that African-American athletes have other sporting outlets but also said, "What I'm noticing in baseball is that even at the amateur level, it costs a lot of money to play baseball.

"It used to be that sponsors bought you all that stuff - bats and balls. But now everybody has their own bat bag, there's the cost of insurance and there are all these traveling teams. It could cost you $2,000 to $5,000 for one year for one kid to play."

Baker then took it a couple of levels further. "Baseball only gets 11 1/2 scholarships in college," he said. "Most people are on partials, so if you're going to a school that costs 30 grand and you're on a partial scholarship, who's going to come up with that other 20 grand? When you're playing football or basketball, you've got a chance to go for a full ride.

"You watch a game on TV and there are very few African Americans playing college baseball. College baseball basically isn't conducive to the average African-American kid."

Baker rarely shies from an issue. For instance, he said that despite rumors of him going here or there or elsewhere, he never had any intention of leaving Chicago, where next year will be the fourth year on his four-year contract.

"I'm not worried," he said. "I'm confident in myself that I can do the job or get a job."

But, he said, "I was always taught that if you signed a contract, you signed a contract. I don't believe in renegotiating. Don't sign a contract if you're going to renegotiate.

"You can't have security and riches, too."

On the pressures of winning a World Series for a franchise that hasn't done that in 97 years, Baker said, "I realize the hunger people have in Chicago. I realize we live in a 'now' society. I also realize that patience is not one of the virtues when people have been waiting so long. They're tired of hearing about next year.

"But sometimes it is what it is. You manage what you've got and manage the way you know how. I know what I'm doing, regardless of what people say.

"I back the players. I take the heat most of the time. That goes back to when I was the oldest of five children. When my parents had to go to work, I was in charge of the house. I was 13. But if something was broken and I was in charge, I was responsible for it, whether I had anything to do with it or not."

As for his most bitter rivals, the Cardinals, Baker, to the surprise of some, perhaps, has kind words and is optimistic about their chances to run the table this year.

"They're going to miss (Scott) Rolen," Baker said. "But (Abraham) Nunez has done a great, great job. And (Yadier) Molina has done an excellent job. This guy knows how to catch. He's got two older brothers who are catchers (with the Los Angeles Angels), so it isn't like he's your average rookie. He's had a quick and a very good learning curve.

"The year the Giants were in the World Series (Baker managed San Francisco past the Cardinals in the 2002 league championship series), it was big that Rolen was out. But, when you lose a position player and keep your quality pitching, you're all right. I've seen a whole bunch of 1-0 and 2-1 and 3-2 games that the Cardinals have been winning.

"You give them (Chris) Carpenter last year in the World Series and see what they would have done. If you've got those shutdown pitchers who keep that game close and then you've got (Albert) Pujols popping one or (Jim) Edmonds popping one, that's the ballgame. That's the secret."
    Make America Great For Once.

Who is this Dusty Baker person of whom you speak?
    Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

Sigh.

Isn't the term "African-American"'s 15 minutes of fame over?

Sincerely,

Jamaican and Haitian-Americans of America
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Sep 11 2005, 06:19 AM
        I've seen a whole bunch of 1-0 and 2-1 and 3-2 games that the Cardinals have been winning.

The Cards are 19-22 in one run games.
        June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan+Sep 11 2005, 10:55 AM-->
          QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Sep 11 2005, 10:55 AM)

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Sep 11 2005, 10:48 AM
          Sigh.

Isn't the term "African-American"'s 15 minutes of fame over?

Sincerely,

Jamaican and Haitian-Americans of America
          I think there'll be a time soon when I'll start referring to myself as an 'Irish American'....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by *007*+Sep 11 2005, 10:20 AM-->
            QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 11 2005, 10:20 AM)

Originally posted by *007*+Sep 11 2005, 11:20 AM-->
            QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 11 2005, 11:20 AM)

He's way off base.

I know the topic gets a lot of play, but I don't understand why. Who cares if young black atheletes, on average, would rather play another sport? I don't even know if that's true, by the way, but if it is, who freaking cares? It's not as if baseball is somehow more redeeming than football or basketball. And it's certainly not as if black graduates don't have a fair shot at college scholarships.

He ought to worry about why young black students have lower high school and college graduation rates. That's something that really matters, to all of us. JJ.

Comment

There aren't enough crackers in the NBA damn it.
              --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
              --Suck it cubbies.
              --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Sep 11 2005, 06:19 AM
                [b]
                Baker agreed that African-American athletes have other sporting outlets but also said, "What I'm noticing in baseball is that even at the amateur level, it costs a lot of money to play baseball.

"It used to be that sponsors bought you all that stuff - bats and balls. But now everybody has their own bat bag, there's the cost of insurance and there are all these traveling teams. It could cost you $2,000 to $5,000 for one year for one kid to play."

Baker then took it a couple of levels further. "Baseball only gets 11 1/2 scholarships in college," he said. "Most people are on partials, so if you're going to a school that costs 30 grand and you're on a partial scholarship, who's going to come up with that other 20 grand? When you're playing football or basketball, you've got a chance to go for a full ride.

"You watch a game on TV and there are very few African Americans playing college baseball. College baseball basically isn't conducive to the average African-American kid."
                I don't agree with Baker's reasoning that baseball could cost $2,000 to $5,000 so black kids don't play. Bull. Baseball gloves are no more expensive than basketball shoes (and most are cheaper). Sure a bat and glove could cost someone $500 if they want to buy the best gear, but you can get a decent glove for $40 or $50 and spikes for around the same price. That's all you need.

There are plenty of JUCO baseball teams where black kids could play as well. Screw a scholarship. JUCOs are cheap cheap cheap. And what ever happened to student loans? Also, if you are in one of the lower income brackets you don't have to pay for college tuition at a state school (I think..........I could be wrong there).
                --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

I guess he's saying black athletes don't choose other sports, they're forced into them because of money. I don't have kids so I have no idea how much it costs to participate in various sports. It doesn't matter to me though. If black kids don't play baseball as much as they otherwise would because baseball is expensive, relatively speaking, and black people in our country are economically disadvantaged, again, relatively speaking, the isn't the solution to fix poverty in the black community? That's what we ought to be talking about. It's a drain on everyone, not just those directly affected, although they obviously suffer most. JJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jack jones@Sep 11 2005, 12:36 PM
                    I guess he's saying black athletes don't choose other sports, they're forced into them because of money. I don't have kids so I have no idea how much it costs to participate in various sports. It doesn't matter to me though. If black kids don't play baseball as much as they otherwise would because baseball is expensive, relatively speaking, and black people in our country are economically disadvantaged, again, relatively speaking, the isn't the solution to fix poverty in the black community? That's what we ought to be talking about. It's a drain on everyone, not just those directly affected, although they obviously suffer most. JJ.
                    ++
                    --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

Wanna play basketball? You need 2 people.

Sure you can toss the ball around but what fun is that after awhile?
                      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Sep 11 2005, 01:10 PM
                        Wanna play basketball? You need 2 people.

Sure you can toss the ball around but what fun is that after awhile?
                        You really only need one person to have fun shootin' hoops (imo).

I could play catch with a baseball all day long. But that's just me.
                        --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

Working...
                        X