• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louisan Davis gets final series here

Around The NL: St. Louisan Davis gets final series here
    Compiled By Rick Hummel
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    09/11/2005

Gerry Davis saw the first regular-season game played in Busch Stadium in 1966 from the bleachers. "I've still got the certificate," said Davis, who was 13 at the time. Davis will see the last regular-season game at Busch from the field.

The St. Louis native and umpire crew chief, who grew up going to 30 or so Cardinals games a year before he went away to umpire school in 1976 - "I always sat in the bleachers" - has been allowed to trade his last regular- season series so that he can work the final weekend here, Sept. 30-Oct. 2.

In fact, Davis, who was scheduled to work the next-to-last series here, will be joined by St. Louisan Ron Kulpa, another umpire who also was permitted to trade assignments with a member of the Joe Brinkman crew that had been slated to work here.

Major League Baseball has made similar concessions in past years to allow umpires from a particular city to work the last game played in that city's stadium. Davis, who is here this weekend, said, "This means a lot to my family and friends.

"When you become an umpire, you're not a fan anymore," Davis said. But he added, "I'm glad the Cardinals are so far ahead (in the standings), so I'll be able to enjoy the atmosphere."
    Make America Great For Once.

As an alum of Roosevelt High School, I was hoping that Gerry would get the final game behind the plate.

BTW, Gerry pitched a B team no-hitter against Soldan or Vashon, I can't remember which, at their home field. He had a nasty breaking ball.
    The Redman

Sponsorship Available
    Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

For all the worthwhile criticism leveled at MLB, it is nice to see that they have a sense of personal history in this matter.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Sep 11 2005, 09:41 AM
        For all the worthwhile criticism leveled at MLB, it is nice to see that they have a sense of personal history in this matter.
        ++
        The Redman

Sponsorship Available
        Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

Originally posted by stlredman@Sep 11 2005, 09:37 AM
          As an alum of Roosevelt High School, I was hoping that Gerry would get the final game behind the plate.

BTW, Gerry pitched a B team no-hitter against Soldan or Vashon, I can't remember which, at their home field. He had a nasty breaking ball.
          My dad is a RoughRider, albeit a bit older than you. He's 77 and still kicking.
          RIP Stan the Man
          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
          I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy+Sep 11 2005, 08:51 AM-->
            QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 11 2005, 08:51 AM)
          Working...
          X