GDT Mets (70-72) @ Cardinals (91-52); 1:15pm CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT Mets (70-72) @ Cardinals (91-52); 1:15pm CT

The third time is the charm, goes the saying. If that's the case, Matt Morris should notch his 15th victory on Sunday afternoon. Morris has lost his last two starts in unimpressive fashion, posting a 7.29 ERA in the two games.
    Morris (14-7, 3.97 ERA) will face tough competition in the Mets' future Hall of Famer Pedro Martinez (13-7, 2.95 ERA). Martinez struggled in his one outing against St. Louis this season, allowing five runs, four of them earned, in six innings pitched in a 7-6 St. Louis win.

Morris pitched well back on May 15 in his one start against the Mets this season. He went 7 2/3 innings, striking out six and allowing just two runs.

On Saturday, the Cardinals took care of the Mets early, getting out to a 4-1 lead in the fourth inning and holding on for a 4-2 victory.

A win on Sunday would ensure a series sweep and would be the 12th consecutive time they have beaten the Mets at Busch Stadium.

Pitching matchup
    NYM: RHP Pedro Martinez
    • 13-7, 2.95 ERA in 2005
    • 0-1, 6.00 ERA vs. STL in one 2005 start

STL: RHP Matt Morris
    • 14-7, 3.97 ERA in 2005
    • 1-0, 2.08 ERA vs. NYM in one 2005 start

Player to watch
    Abraham Nunez has faced Martinez just twice in his career, but he has one hit in those two at-bats. Nunez has been stellar in filling in for third baseman Scott Rolen. He has played as well as anyone in the National League defensively and was hitting .299 heading into Saturday's game. In his last nine games, he is hitting .333 (13-for-39) and is hitting .303 with runners in scoring position this season.

Quotable
    "For a guy who last year didn't start to hit until the end of [the] season, he got a big hit. This is more like he has been his whole career. He's a tough out." -- Tony La Russa, on Suppan's home run

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • NYM: WPIX
    • STL: WB-11

On radio
    • NYM: WFAN 660, WADO 1280 (Español)
    • STL: KMOX 1120

Quick hits
    Suppan recorded his fourth win in his last seven starts. He ended a streak of 13 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run when he gave up a home run to Mike Piazza in the second inning. He is now 5-3, with a 2.85 ERA since the All-Star break. ... Suppan's home run in the third inning was the first in Busch Stadium since Woody Williams hit one against the Padres on July 1, 2002. It was the second home run by a Cardinals pitcher this season. Jason Marquis hit the first on June 4 in Houston. ... Albert Pujols was walked for the 84th time this season on Saturday, matching a single-season high. With a run scored on Saturday, he has now scored in eight of his last 11 games (12 runs), increasing his Major League-leading total to 117. ... David Eckstein went 0-for-3, ending his 14-game hitting streak. ... Chris Duncan, son of Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan, made his Major League debut on Saturday, flying out to center in his only at-bat. ... The last time the Mets won at Busch Stadium was Aug. 9, 2002. ... Busch Stadium was sold out for the 41st time this season and the 16th consecutive. The team has drawn over 40,000 fans to each of its last 33 home games.

On deck
    • Monday: vs. Pittsburgh, 7:10 p.m. CT
    • Tuesday: vs. Pittsburgh, 7:10 p.m. CT
    • Wednesday: vs. Pittsburgh, 1:10 p.m. CT

Go git em Glovey!!
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Fuck the Pond Scum. I'll deliver a win. I'm man enough to face Pedro.

Comment

Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Way to step up Glovey -

Lets Go Cardinals

Cards 8 - Scum 2

I hate Pedro.
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I think today we will see the Cardinal AAA all stars.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Glovey becomes a man today if he can beat the pond scummers and Pedro. I'm betting on Jordan losing his virginity today, baseball GDTwise anyway.

Go Glovey, Go Cardinals!!!!!!!!111111
              RIP Stan the Man
              The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
              I miss TLR!

Comment

I hope we win. I just found out that I get to go.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Pond Scum

Reyes SS
                  Matsui 2B
                  Beltran CF
                  Wright 3B
                  Anderson LF
                  Diaz RF
                  Jacobs 1B
                  Castro C
                  Martinez P

Cards

Eckstein SS
                  Nunez 3B
                  Pujols 1B
                  Rodriguez LF
                  Mabry RF
                  Taguchi CF
                  Molina C
                  Luna 2B
                  Morris P

Comment

Does anyone know if this game is on Direct TV?

I guess everyone's watching football. Nothing doing after one and a half, though Morris threw a lot of pitches in the first.
                    The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

Originally posted by gibsongirl@Sep 11 2005, 01:01 PM
                      Does anyone know if this game is on Direct TV?

I guess everyone's watching football. Nothing doing after one and a half, though Morris threw a lot of pitches in the first.
                      It's been assimilated into the DirecTV rotation.

I know I can watch it locally...

Cool to see the FNDY hats today.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Luna, you stink.

You can't run on Yadi twice, fool.

Comment

This just in............

Yadi has a fuckin' hose!!

Reyes tried to swipe 3rd and Yadi threw him out by 7 or 8 feet. Nice.
                          --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                          --Suck it cubbies.
                          --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Fuck. Strike em out, throw em out.

Comment

It's not on TV for me...

Comment

Working...
                              X