Would you give a homerun ball back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you give a homerun ball back?

The guy that caught Gall's homerun is not giving the ball up unless he gets a ball that is signed that says Gall replaced it and a jersey. The guys on the radio (590) were saying he should give it back to him and not ask for anything because he would probably get something anyways.

I caught a McGwire homer the year he hit 70. It was #7 (I think, he hit 3 that day against Arizona). I kept it and it sits on my bookshelf next to some autographed baseballs and hockey pucks. Granted it is not a homer that is like a first or 500th.

So would you give a player a ball if it meant something to them or the league?

On another note and I don't know how true this is but in Chicago, if a Cub hits a homerun and you get the ball, you get to meet the player and have them sign it. Last time I was there a guy got one from Glenn Allen Hill and the ushers carted him away quickly even though the Cubs were down by about 8 and it was the 8th inning. I was told that he got to go meet the player but have not heard anything about it at all since. If that is true, I find that very cool for the Cubs to do.
    0%
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Fuck 'em. Somebody has to put my kid through college.

Moon

Comment

It depends. A guy like Gall, I would prolly give it back in exchange for something else. One of McGwire's milestone home run balls though? No fuckin way. Worth too much money. I'd sell it so fast your head would spin.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Funny you say that Elvis. I play softball with the guy that got #70 and look what he got for it, 2.7 million.
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott

Comment

I think the player should get the ball back if he wants it, but I also see nothing wrong with getting something for it, and if the guy is a superstar that makes millions......

You buy the rights to a ball when you buy your ticket.

But like I said, if the ball is a milestone or something to the player it's nice for them to get it back.
          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Sep 9 2005, 11:52 AM
            It depends. A guy like Gall, I would prolly give it back in exchange for something else. One of McGwire's milestone home run balls though? No fuckin way. Worth too much money. I'd sell it so fast your head would spin.
            ++
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy@Sep 9 2005, 11:54 AM
              Funny you say that Elvis. I play softball with the guy that got #70 and look what he got for it, 2.7 million.
              No shit? Good for him. Dude is set for life just because he went to a game.
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Sep 9 2005, 11:56 AM-->
                QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 9 2005, 11:56 AM)

You'd probably get more stuff if you offered to give the ball back than if you demanded jerseys, balls, etc. Remember how much shit Jr. gave to the guy who caught #500?
                The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

Originally posted by gibsongirl@Sep 9 2005, 12:09 PM
                  You'd probably get more stuff if you offered to give the ball back than if you demanded jerseys, balls, etc. Remember how much shit Jr. gave to the guy who caught #500?
                  They brought that up on the radio about the guy that got Jr's 500th. Jr went all out for him in the stuff he gave him. I was never really a Jr fan at all but when he did that, he gained some respect from me.
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott

Comment

I went to a Pawtucket Red Sox (Red Sox AAA) game a couple years ago and caught a home run ball that was some kid's first pro homer. I was right near the bullpen and told them I'd give the kid the ball after the game in exchange for another ball signed. The bullpen coach said they'd definitely do that and to head over to the dugout area after the game and he'd set it up.

When I got there along with a signed ball they gave me a bat signed by the team, a t-shirt for my nephew, and tickets for the next Saturday's game. Turns out the kid (who's name I don't remember) wanted to give that ball to his Mom and had already worked out those "bribes" with the team for when he hit one.

That ball meant a lot more to him than to me, so I was more than glad to give it back...

Comment

So Cliff Floyd threw the ball into the stands?

What a dumb fuck.
                      Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

My friend and I were having a discussion about this right before Griffey got his 500th. We thought maybe there was a chance since our season tickets are in right field, and we thought, hell, why not us. He decided he would hold it ransom to get money. I'm still not quite sure what I woulda done, but after seeing all that stuff that kid got, I think I would've given it back. We did almost get the ball though, it was coming right at us and right before it got to our section, it carried in the wind and went over our section. We were so pissed.
                        I got nothin....
                        I made a website, STLsportspulse.com. Yippeee!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Sparrow@Sep 9 2005, 11:29 AM
                          So Cliff Floyd threw the ball into the stands?

What a dumb fuck.
                          ++

I watched him do it, and was thinking wait a minute, you dumbass. Asked a couple guys around me if they thought that was Gall's first - they said yes - and I said well Floyd just threw the ball in the effing stands

Comment

I would give it back I think. I say that with the caveat that if it was a ball that was going to be worth eleventy million dollars I'm figuring on keeping that one.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                            Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                            Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                            NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                            LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Working...
                            X