Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saraceno: NFL should have punted Week 1

NFL should have delayed games in wake of Katrina

A city lies in watery ruins. Bloated corpses float in contaminated floodwaters. Army tanks roll down streets. Police, fire and medical personnel tend to the sick, suffering and frightened. Thousands of evacuees across our nation fear the worst for missing family and friends.

Are you ready for some football?

The games must go on as scheduled ... right?

No they don't.

Wouldn't a week of pause, however costly and inconvenient, be a more appropriate course for the image-conscious National Football League, particularly because one of its franchises is located in the heart of the worst national calamity since the Civil War? What has happened to New Orleans is a crisis of immeasurable magnitude and has opened the door for one of the league's most powerful owners, Tom Benson, to permanently relocate the franchise.

If nothing else than out of respect, with bodies piling up in makeshift morgues and vivid images of elderly men and women being helped from their ravaged homes, the league should've called a timeout. Instead, less than two weeks after Hurricane Katrina ripped a hole in our hearts, fans were treated to Thursday night's Oakland-New England season opener.

The idea to delay never was discussed.

The league and, more specifically the Saints, confront a catastrophic state of emergency that no sports franchise has encountered. The Saints will travel for Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers. It is strictly a matter of conjecture whether their hearts and minds go, too.

And what of the hundreds of NFL players from Louisiana, Mississippi and the Gulf Coast region: Will their attention be on football?

"NFL players, unable to focus on football after a national disaster, played a major role in one of the most important decisions ever made by the league," read the first paragraph of a story written by Dave Goldberg of the Associated Press.

Goldberg was not writing this week. He wrote that four years ago — after 9/11, which prompted the NFL to postpone the season's second week.

Many players from the Giants and Jets were adamant about refusing to play and informed union leadership of their wishes. Ultimately, the league decided to allay player concerns regarding security risks, airport closings and the fear of possible threat of further terrorist attacks.

This time the issue is not one of safety, it is one of emotion. In football, a game that relies on passion and intensity, that means everything.

We find it interesting, but not surprising, that no players have publicly expressed the notion that the league should've shuttered its games for the first week. Maybe that's a reflection of hellbent coaching staffs or player machismo. The games must go on, right? Or maybe most players didn't make their real feelings known.

Can you imagine an NFL player saying, "I can't play this weekend because I'm too upset?"

Instead, what you hear, mostly from the front office and coaches, is, "Our team is a resilient group." And, "These guys are professionals."

Yes, they are. They are human, too.

We really wonder what some players feel as they deal with the shock and frustration of lost homes and dead or missing relatives. We've seen the reaction from stars like Steve McNair and Brett Favre, but I really wonder what we're not seeing and hearing because of subtle (and not-so-subtle) pressures.

If you took a vote of the people in Louisiana, many of them would want the Saints to play Sunday. Football is a diversion and, at times like this, a welcome one for many people who are crushed daily by more dispiriting news. But what has transpired calls for something else to divert our attention. A moment of pregame silence is not enough.

While discussing appropriateness, would San Antonio stop salivating over the potential availability of a devastated franchise? Red McCombs, a Texan who used to own the Minnesota Vikings, was quoted thusly: "This is a great opportunity for the city, and we need to seize the moment, jump into (it) with all four legs."

We suggest that if the tacky sounding multimillionaire wants to jump into something with a Bayou flavor, he consider Lake Pontchartrain.

When President John F. Kennedy was assassinated more than 40 years ago, the league played its full complement of games. In retrospect, Pete Rozelle, then commissioner, said it was the decision he most regretted during his tenure.

We wonder: If New York City — where the NFL has its offices on Park Avenue — had faced a disaster where an estimated 10,000 people perished, would it be business as usual this weekend? We also wonder what the esteemed Mr. Rozelle would think — and do — if he were alive.

E-mail Jon Saraceno at [email protected]
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

New Orleans wont be ready next week either, or the 1st of October, or by Halloween...

CANCEL THE SEASON!!!
    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Maybe a preseason game, but not now.

Its what, two weeks later?

We'd be letting this hurricane beat us. It is what the hurricane would want us to do, so we aren't letting her get her way by blowing off week one.
      Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Sparrow@Sep 9 2005, 10:45 AM
        Maybe a preseason game, but not now.

Its what, two weeks later?

We'd be letting this hurricane beat us. It is what the hurricane would want us to do, so we aren't letting her get her way by blowing off week one.
        Very well played.
        Please show me the proper amount of respect.

After all...

I do co-host a show at KFNS.

Comment

The dome will not be ready all season so why would one week make a difference now that it is two weeks later? After 9-11 that was already into the season one week if I remember right. It was ok not to play then because we were mostly still in shock of everything. After a week of seeing everything I think it is time to get things going. The country needs to play football and it must go on.
          Sponsor of:
          Brian Elliott
          Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
          5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

How many days of MLB were cancelled because of the 9/11 terrorist attacks? I want to say it was only 1 or 2.

Like it or not, sports is a business and not playing games week 1 could economically impact a lot of other people and businesses.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
            Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
            Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
            Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
            NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
            LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

If they would have postponed it a week, I wouldn't have cared, but I'm not pissed that they didn't either.
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Sep 9 2005, 01:42 PM
                How many days of MLB were cancelled because of the 9/11 terrorist attacks? I want to say it was only 1 or 2.

Like it or not, sports is a business and not playing games week 1 could economically impact a lot of other people and businesses.
                I think they resumed the following Monday, so about a week.
                Official Lounge Sponsor:
                Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Working...
                X