• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes: Grudzielanek receives cortisone shot

Notes: Grudzielanek still sidelined
    09/08/2005 8:38 PM ET
    By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Mark Grudzielanek received a cortisone shot in his lower back on Thursday, hoping to alleviate pain that has steadily increased for about two weeks. Grudzielanek was held out of the lineup for a second straight day on Thursday, and there's a good chance he won't play in this weekend's series against the Mets.

"It's come to a point where it's gotten worse and worse and worse," Grudzielanek said. "The last few days playing, it was affecting me, I felt."

Abraham Nunez started at second base in place of Grudzielanek, with John Mabry taking Nunez's usual spot at third. Grudzielanek said he had been playing in significant and increasing pain, but did not express a great deal of concern about how the injury might affect him in the longer term.

"Right now I believe there's just, on the L-5 disc, a slight tear, real tiny," Grudzielanek said. "It's minor stuff. And it's caused a bulge. So the inflammation is in there and causing pain.

"It could be gone, or it could be something that we might have to deal with for a little bit. It's nothing serious. It's not like a bulging disc or anything like that. It's the earliest stages of something like that which could happen, but it's not there."

Manager Tony La Russa said that he did not expect the Cardinals to have to make a move to bring in another infielder to cover for Grudzielanek's absence.

Morris faces hitters: Matt Morris took an unusual step on Thursday, throwing live batting practice to hitters in place of a normal bullpen session. He threw nearly 50 pitches to Reggie Sanders and Chris Duncan, hoping to gain some benefits from throwing in a different environment.

"I wanted to get on the mound and throw to some guys live and get a batter," Morris said. "It's easy to go out in the bullpen and throw pitches. It's not a big deal.

"It's just a different mindset. You're trying to make pitches and see the result and work on things that it's tough to work on in the game."

At one point, Morris expressed irritation with Sanders, who wasn't swinging at any pitches. That's not out of the ordinary for the rehabbing outfielder, who hasn't played since mid-July due to a broken bone in his leg. In Spring Training, Sanders focuses on taking as many pitches as possible, rather than trying to swing the bat a great deal.

"My objective is to see pitches, to see the ball coming out of his hand," Sanders said.

Unfortunately, that ran somewhat counter to what Morris was trying to accomplish.

"That was my point, for them to swing the bat," Morris said. "I only had a certain number of pitches, and he was standing in there."

Sanders eventually started swinging at some more pitches, and all was well.

Sanders runs the bases: In addition to facing live pitching, Sanders took another step forward on Thursday afternoon. He did some baserunning work for the first time since his injury, working on both getting jumps and making the turn around second base.

"I'm very happy with where I am," Sanders said. "If you'd asked me that a week ago, I wouldn't [have said that]. But now, today, it's different."

Sanders and the Cardinals continue to hope that he can return to action early next week at home against Pittsburgh.

"Reggie doesn't have a problem with hitting," said head athletic trainer Barry Weinberg. "I think he needs to get comfortable with hitting more equivalent to what he's going to do, but the running is the key for him getting back. He's got his spikes on today. He's doing a little more functional running. He's making good steps."

Today in Busch Stadium history: On Sept. 8, 1998, Mark McGwire hit his record-breaking 62nd home run of the season. McGwire's historic blast, breaking Roger Maris' 37-year-old record, was a solo job off Steve Trachsel in the fourth inning. Thanks to Project Retrosheet for the information.

Baby 'Birds: Class A Palm Beach lost a heartbreaker on Wednesday night. With two outs in the bottom of the ninth and a 1-0 lead, closer Mark Worrell permitted a three-run homer to Blake DeWitt that gave Vero Beach the 3-1 win. The series is now tied, one each, with the deciding game set for Thursday night in Vero Beach. ... Class A Quad Cities' late-season slide continued into the opener of the Midwest League playoffs. The Swing lost, 11-2, to Clinton in the series opener. Nick Stavinoha hit a home run for Quad Cities, which needs a win on Thursday to stay alive. ... Short-season New Jersey beat Brooklyn, 4-2, behind a three-run homer from Adam Rodgers.

The player of the day is Palm Beach starter Eric Haberer, who received no decision. Haberer, the Cardinals' third-round draft pick last year, pitched 6 2/3 shutout innings. He allowed four hits and four walks, striking out six.

Coming up: Jason Marquis will try to keep his roll going when he faces the Mets on Friday night. Marquis has complete-game victories in each of his last two games, but he'll be going up against another hot pitcher in Jae Seo. The Mets have won the last seven games started by Seo. Game time is 7:10 p.m. CT.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Grudzielanek receives a shot for injured back
    By Derrick Goold
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/08/2005

Hampered recently by escalating back pain, Cardinals second baseman Mark Grudzielanek received a cortisone shot Thursday to combat an injured disc in his lower back. He plans to return after two or three days of rest.

An MRI on Wednesday showed a slight tear in the lining of a disc. That MRI and the pain urged the Cardinals to prescribe the cortisone to reduce the inflammation.

"It's painful. I've been playing with it for a few weeks now," Grudzielanek said. After the shot, the pain "could be gone, or it's something we might have to deal with for a little bit."

Manager Tony La Russa said he plans to give Grudzielanek as many days as necessary to recover because "we want the back issue to completely clear."

Abraham Nunez started at second in Grudzielanek's absence Thursday, and John Mabry played third in place of Nunez.

Trainer Gary Weinberg said it's possible Grudzielanek may not have back problems the rest of the season.

"This is something where when we're able to get the shot, get that inflammation down, it is something he'll be able to play through," Weinberg said.

Should the cortisone work, all that will be prescribed afterward, Weinberg said, is "aggressively using exercises to strengthen" Grudzielanek's back.

Grudzielanek has been beset by ailments the past month. He missed play with an infection in his knee and a concurrent bout of spasms in his upper back. Those ailments have cleared up.

But the latest back trouble forced Grudzielanek to leave midway through Tuesday's game. He didn't play Wednesday, and on Thursday, he doubted he could play.

"This is something where you mess with the core of your (body), your back, it's tough," Grudzielanek said. "I don't know how effective I would be out there today or yesterday because the pain there just shocks your whole body. I've never had something like that before. The last few days it's been constant."

Sanders improves
    Sanders spent most of Morris' session eyeing pitches, getting a feel for his read on movement and location, not unlike the approach he takes in spring training. Sanders, out since mid-July with a fractured leg, may return to play during the series against Pittsburgh next week.

He ran the bases Thursday for the first time since the injury. He said he felt fine and that he feels stronger cutting to balls in the outfield.

"I'm very happy where I am," Sanders said. "If you had asked me that a week ago, I wouldn't have been. But today, yes I am. Yes."

Around the horn

On the lookout for a nickname other than "J-Rod" for outfielder John Rodriguez, La Russa found inspiration in the rookie's recent "scampering." La Russa told the media Thursday to call Rodriguez "Johnny Rocket." ... Before he left town, Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker endorsed Cardinals righthander Chris Carpenter for the Cy Young Award. ... Pujols is the club's nominee for both the Roberto Clemente Award and Baseball Man of the Year. Fans can vote online for the man of the year award, which will then be decided by the players. Major League Baseball selects the winner of the Clemente award. Both consider on-field and off-field achievements. ... The Mets' 149 wins at Busch before are the second-most of any Cardinals' opponent. ... Former Cardinal Tom Lawless peeled the No. 12 off the countdown in right field. The Cardinals have 11 regular-season home games remaining at Busch.

[email protected]
    314-340-8285

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Iggy Strode called from the ballpark yesterday on 1380 and said that when Morris asked to pitch to live pitchers, Reggie volunteered. Reggie then took the first 12 pitches without ever moving the bat - he's in ST mode, trying to read the spin on the ball and such. He fouled a couple of pitches off, then went back to not swinging. Morris yelled at him to get out of there and get him someone who'd actually swing the bat, which is when Dunc Jr came in.

Iggy said lil' Dunc went yard on him at least once.

-RBB

Comment

Originally posted by RedBirdBrain@Sep 9 2005, 06:28 AM
        Iggy Strode called from the ballpark yesterday on 1380 and said that when Morris asked to pitch to live pitchers, Reggie volunteered. Reggie then took the first 12 pitches without ever moving the bat - he's in ST mode, trying to read the spin on the ball and such. He fouled a couple of pitches off, then went back to not swinging. Morris yelled at him to get out of there and get him someone who'd actually swing the bat, which is when Dunc Jr came in.

Iggy said lil' Dunc went yard on him at least once.

-RBB
        Sounds like Matty Mo needs to go to Izzy and find out if he's holding. He couldn't pitch much worse stoned. Lighten up, Matt.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Did Iggy call in live or did he have it on tape?
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

The Mets' 149 wins at Busch before are the second-most of any Cardinals' opponent
            So, um, who has the most? Pittsburgh?

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Sep 9 2005, 09:30 AM
              The Mets' 149 wins at Busch before are the second-most of any Cardinals' opponent
              So, um, who has the most? Pittsburgh?
              I would guess Cincinnatti - just guessing though
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Sep 9 2005, 09:34 AM-->
                QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 9 2005, 09:34 AM)

As recently as 2000, the unbalanced schedule had teams playing others within their division either 12 or 13 times, and teams outside the division 8 or 9 times.

I bet the answer is the Dodgers.
                Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Sep 9 2005, 08:03 AM
                  Did Iggy call in live or did he have it on tape?

Non-Rome fans are not going to get the reference. Iggy made a now infamous call to JR's show. Started out speaking, and then hit the play button on the recorder when he was ready for his take. The difference in sound quality and volume was obvious, and Rome just tore Iggy up. I thought the same thing when I saw his name attached to the article.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuts_For_Koharski+Sep 9 2005, 09:49 AM-->
                    QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Sep 9 2005, 09:49 AM)

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Sep 9 2005, 10:13 AM-->
                    QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 9 2005, 10:13 AM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by *007*+Sep 9 2005, 10:58 AM-->
                    QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 9 2005, 10:58 AM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2005, 10:13 AM
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2005, 09:49 AM
                  Working...
                  X