• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penguins to announce Crosby signing tomorrow

Pens to announce Crosby signing Friday

Associated Press

9/8/2005 7:42:34 PM

PITTSBURGH (CP-AP) - The Pittsburgh Penguins didn't want Sidney Crosby to miss even a minute of their first training camp in two years. The NHL's labour agreement made it all but certain he wouldn't.

The Penguins will hold a news conference Friday to announce the No. 1 draft pick has signed his first NHL contract, a formality since the new labour deal limits his first-year compensation to $850,000 in salary and $850,000 in rookie bonuses. Additional performance bonuses - for finishing among league scoring leaders, for example - could be worth up to $4 million US, a source disclosed.

Crosby's agent, Pat Brisson, arrived in Pittsburgh on Thursday night for a Friday morning meeting with Penguins general manager Craig Patrick to sign off on the agreement. To maximize local media coverage before the NFL's Steelers start dominating it during the weekend, the Penguins will announce the deal Friday afternoon.

Until he gets several more years of experience, Crosby, 18, of Cole Harbour, N.S., is all but certain to make more money via endorsements and promotions than he does in salary. He already has a deal worth a reported $1 million-plus a year with Reebok.

Crosby first visited Pittsburgh last month for the team's rookie orientation camp.

Crosby is due back for the start of training camp Tuesday and a week's worth of pre-season practice before the Penguins shift their camp to their Wilkes-Barre, Pa., minor-league affiliate's arena.

Crosby is looking forward to the camp, mostly to get acquainted with players such as Lemieux, Mark Recchi, John LeClair, Sergei Gonchar and Jocelyn Thibault that, until now, he's seen play only in person.

''I'm excited to play with any guys in the NHL, but when you see some of the names they're bringing in, I mean it's going to be a great experience,'' he said. ''No. 1 draft picks go to a place that's rebuilding and I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to play with a team that's going to compete every night.''

Crosby will make his NHL debut Oct. 5 at New Jersey.

Nice pic...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Lookin' a bit gay I think...

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

Originally posted by Prngr44@Sep 9 2005, 01:36 AM
      Lookin' a bit gay I think...
      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

^ That one's BADASS!

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo