• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good riddance to a bad park

Chicago Tribune

By Paul Sullivan
    Tribune staff reporter

September 7, 2005

I bought one of those $10 raffle tickets Wednesday for a chance to push the button that implodes Busch Stadium this fall, with the plan of giving it to Steve Bartman if I win.

Blowing up this grungy, sterile, cookie-cutter ballpark would be a pleasure comparable to any in life, and who should get the honor but the world's most recognizable Cubs fan?

How does one say goodbye to Busch Stadium?

The same way one says goodbye to the gout, I suppose.

Busch represented all that went wrong with sports in the 1960s, with its bland, symmetrical look, its ultra-high upper deck, its garish red seats and artificial surface that could fry the rubber off a players' cleats.

I have been coming here since my college days at the University of Missouri in the late 1970s, and I swear they still haven't cleaned it since I was a sophomore. While walking around the park Wednesday morning to get a look at the new Busch Stadium being built next door, I couldn't help but notice all the cigarette butts left over from the night before. Same as it ever was.

Fans get used to any stadium they call home, and you don't hear many St. Louisians moaning about Busch. But when they get a chance to come to Chicago and watch a game in a real ballpark, they understand what they have been missing.

I have seen baseball games, rock concerts and even a Cardinals-Bears game at Busch, and one thing remains the same—it never grows on you.

I have waited on deadline for an elevator that never works, have eaten press-box food I wouldn't give my dog and have covered a World Series game with a bucket next to my laptop catching rain from an unpluggable leak in the ceiling. If Minute Maid Park is Valhalla for baseball writers, Busch Stadium is hell.

Yes, I have seen some great games here, including the Sosa-McGwire lovefest in '98. I also have witnessed more than a few Cubs bullpen implosions, from Bill Caudill to LaTroy Hawkins. My most vivid memory is being dangled over the left-field wall in the summer of 1978, just for abusing FredBird.

But now that it's over and the last Cubs-Cardinals game at Busch is history, it's time to state the obvious.

You can't make a dump seem nostalgiac.

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Fuck them.

Too bad they couldn't have won a playoff game there.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Despite the fact that Busch isn't exactly the greatest park ever.

I'd say somebody has a bad case of the Red vapours.
      "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
      "I didn't know you
      had any feelings"

Comment

I love reading about how inconvenienced and put-upon sportswriters are to have to work in some of these venues. My heart bleeds for them. Has this gentleman had his olfactory organs removed, or has he grown so accustomed to the smell of Wrigley that it doesn't matter?

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Sep 8 2005, 06:02 PM
          I love reading about how inconvenienced and put-upon sportswriters are to have to work in some of these venues. My heart bleeds for them. Has this gentleman had his olfactory organs removed, or has he grown so accustomed to the smell of Wrigley that it doesn't matter?

Moon
          You almost want to ask him:
          "You do realise that one of the big attractions to your home park is that you piss into a trough right?"
          "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
          "I didn't know you
          had any feelings"

Comment

Jim Frey had many pleasant things to say aboot Wrigley

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I wonder how quickly this moron would trade their "real ballpark" for our "real baseball team"?
              " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Sullivan is only slightly less of an idiot than Mariotti. Slightly.

And yes, this just screams

Comment

Somebody is bitter and in the words of a certain member of this board, F the Cubs
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott
                  Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                  5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW@Sep 8 2005, 05:05 PM
                    I wonder how quickly this moron would trade their "real ballpark" for our "real baseball team"?

BA-BOOOOOOM!!!!!!

Busch aint "all that" but it sure as shit can provide one hell of an atmosphere to watch a baseball game. Sure there are nicer parks, but the fans and the team are what make the stadium special.

Sullivan can kiss my ass. cubs fans have a lot more to worry about than the end of Busch. Get a fucking life.

<----------------------------------------------------
                    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                    --Suck it cubbies.
                    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Not to mention that most of what he says, while subjective, is bullshit.

To younger folks, who never saw the artificial turf and the blue walls and concrete, Busch is considered to be a very nice looking park.

Most people give a fuck what his working conditions are like.

Go bitch to OSHA.
                      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy@Sep 8 2005, 05:10 PM
                        Somebody is bitter and in the words of a certain member of this board, F the Cubs
                        Perfect timing Guppy!
                        --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                        --Suck it cubbies.
                        --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SunuvaNun+Sep 8 2005, 05:03 PM-->
                          QUOTE(SunuvaNun @ Sep 8 2005, 05:03 PM)

I sent this e-mail to him...

I just wanted to comment on your recent article about Busch Stadium.

I agree that it's not the prettiest yard in the world, but not every park can be as cute and lovable as Wrigley.

I've seen a lot of events at Busch myself, such as World Series games. How many World Series games have you seen at Wrigley?

Enjoy another Cubbie season of futility.
                          RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                          You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Sep 8 2005, 06:24 PM
                            I sent this e-mail to him...

I just wanted to comment on your recent article about Busch Stadium.

I agree that it's not the prettiest yard in the world, but not every park can be as cute and lovable as Wrigley.

I've seen a lot of events at Busch myself, such as World Series games. How many World Series games have you seen at Wrigley?

Enjoy another Cubbie season of futility.

Excellent.
                            " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Working...
                            X