New polls from CBS and Zogby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New polls from CBS and Zogby

Not that we should be pointing fingers or anything <_< , but here are the latest polls from Zogby and CBS...

Zogby

http://zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1020

Bush Handling of Hurricane Katrina Crisis -

Approve

Disapprove

Government At All Levels Criticized

Just one-in-three (32%) voters say that the government response to Hurricane Katrina was adequate, while two-thirds (66%) rate the response negatively.

Among those holding a negative view of the government response, President Bush bears the brunt of public criticism, with one-in-four (27%) voters saying he most deserves the blame for inadequate government response. Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown comes in next in overall criticism, with 22% blaming him. However, the combined total blaming Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco (15%) and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin (8%), the senior state and local officials, respectively, is slightly higher than those blaming Brown, with 23% placing the blame on the two Louisiana figures. Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff, meanwhile, comes in at 8%, while 9% blame other government officials.
    CBS

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/08/...ain824591.shtml

President George W. Bush finds disapproval on his handling of the matter, too -- and the public now shows diminished confidence in his abilities to handle a crisis or provide leadership, as well as in the government's ability to protect the country.

RATING THE RESPONSE

Americans think the response to Hurricane Katrina was inadequate, and spread the blame around all levels of government. President George W. Bush finds disapproval on his handling of the matter, too -- and the public now shows diminished confidence in his abilities to handle a crisis or provide leadership, as well as in the government’s ability to protect the country.

These are highlights from this latest CBS News Poll. There will be a longer release, with more questions and analysis, later today.

President George W. Bush's overall response to Katrina meets with disapproval today - a dramatic change from the public's reaction just after the storm hit on August 29th. Last week, in the two days immediately after Katrina made landfall, a majority of Americans said they approved of Bush's response, although more than a third were not sure. Now, only 38% approve. A majority disapproves.

BUSH'S HANDLING OF RESPONSE TO KATRINA

Now

Approve Disapprove Don't Know
    38% 58% 4%

8/30-31

Approve Disapprove Don't Know
    54% 12% 34%

This poll was conducted among a nationwide random sample of 725 adults, interviewed by telephone September 6-7, 2005. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus four percentage points.
    “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

I think we need another Katrina thread...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by *007*@Sep 8 2005, 12:01 PM
      I think we need another Katrina thread...
      I think the new server can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Sep 8 2005, 12:31 PM-->
        QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Sep 8 2005, 12:31 PM)

You watch. Spin on this will be: CNN poll yesterday showed American's true feelings; latest results are because of media hysteria.
        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

But isnt CNN the liberal Clinton News Network?

We cant believe their polls because of the liberal bias!
          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Is it sad that we expect the Federal government to take care of everything? Have we turned into a bunch of communists?

Personally, I blame the local and state governments for the lack of planning and preparation beforehand and their lack of leadership in the aftermath. Nagin, Blanco, and to a lesser extent Landrieu mucked this thing up from the beginning and no matter what the President/federal government did, it would not have made up for their ineptness.

And honestly, I don't even know what political parties Nagin, Blanco, or Landrieu belong to and I don't care.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
            Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
            Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
            Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
            NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
            LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Sep 8 2005, 12:35 PM

Personally, I blame the local and state governments for the lack of planning and preparation beforehand and their lack of leadership in the aftermath.
              Is it sad that we expect the government to take care of everything? Have we turned into a bunch of communists?
              Your friends list is empty

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Sep 8 2005, 12:35 PM
                Is it sad that we expect the Federal government to take care of everything? Have we turned into a bunch of communists?

Personally, I blame the local and state governments for the lack of planning and preparation beforehand and their lack of leadership in the aftermath. Nagin, Blanco, and to a lesser extent Landrieu mucked this thing up from the beginning and no matter what the President/federal government did, it would not have made up for their ineptness.

And honestly, I don't even know what political parties Nagin, Blanco, or Landrieu belong to and I don't care.
                great post and information that amazingly few want to hear. for some reason the typical vision that most people envisioned was one where the federal govt would have stepped in the sunday before and snapped their fingers and put everyone on a magic carpet to an all inclusive resort somewhere and then after a week or so sent them all back to their new fully furnished and stocked homes with a new buick in the garage.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-0...ibilities_x.htm

the above link is a nice article today in the usatoday that details that it is traditional for the local and state government to be handling the immediate aftermath of a storm. the federal government has always been the body that comes in after the fact and pays for the rebuild.

i have also seen the rumors and accusations that this is the president's fault because he somehow cut funds to fix the problem before it started. funny, before two weeks ago, i have never heard president bush veto any legislation and i wasnt aware that the federal govt had any line item veto power to change bills presented to them either. so please, someone furnish a link that proves he cut such funds and not congress presented a bill that was less than needed. if the latter is true, seems like the b!tch would be with the congress then and not the president.

what no one wants to admit is that with new orleans you have an area that is probably the most corrupt politically and police forcewise in the world let alone the country. any efforts to fix problems in the past were likely lost due to backroom deals. a lot of the immediate post storm problems that might have been adverted with a true police force could not when almost 40% just walked away from their jobs rather than actually work. and then you have what i see as maybe the worst disaster performances by a governor and mayor in history. who knows what platform got them elected, but their "i demand someone help us because we are entitled to it" attitudes the last two weeks sure do not mirror the strong leadership we saw in new york after 9/11. that is the first place to start when analyzing "what went wrong". if people expect the federal government to be prepared to handle the immediacy of a national disaster, i cant even begin to fathom the cost of having that on standby at a moment's notice. not 48 or 72 hour notice. we more or less got that. that has apparently been deemed not good enough. if someone wants a new orleans type disaster team ready and able to go to work immediately think about the manpower we are talking about funding and being on standby. it just isnt feasible. it should start at the level of the local authority. if a city the likes of new york could do it. any city should be able to do it. at least better than what new orleans did.
                Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

Hey Shitstain, you ask the right question, you'll always get the right answer.

Did you post those polls the other day about Americand weren't blaming Bush for the crisis?

I'm guessing you did not.
                  When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Sep 8 2005, 03:55 PM
                    Hey Shitstain, you ask the right question, you'll always get the right answer.

Did you post those polls the other day about Americand weren't blaming Bush for the crisis?

I'm guessing you did not.
                    Dimston,

I didnt post it because FAR (what a coincidence!) had already posted it.

Thanks for your concern, though.

Regards,

Your friend Razzy

Comment

Its the Baptist lover in me that tries to help the mentally ill.

Glad I could be of service to you.
                      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Sep 8 2005, 01:35 PM
                        Is it sad that we expect the Federal government to take care of everything?

Correct me if I am wrong on any of this...

- The federal gov't has many times said that it is their job to protect America and its citizens. I'd be surprised if it isnt in the Constitution somewhere.

- Homeland Security was created for situations like terrorist attacks and national disasters

- Bush ran his campaign for re-election extensively on how he was going to protect us all, and many people believed him and voted for him.

- No, we dont expect the feds to take care of EVERYTHING, but we do expect them to at least make plans and efforts to protect and help the citizens of this country in the event of disasters like this.

Comment

If the president was a democrat and the local pols were republicans, anyone think Rass would be singing a different tune?

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy+Sep 8 2005, 04:12 PM-->
                            QUOTE(Razzy @ Sep 8 2005, 04:12 PM)
                          Working...
                          X