Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on hockey trip

Hello All -

I'd like to ask for assistance and recommendations for an upcoming "hockey trip" my wife and I are taking. We're going to Nashville, Chicago, and St Louis in that order, following the Sharks. I've menetioned this before. I'm no longer looking for things to do, but rather specific recommendations. In particular, I need to find:

Good (not necessarily expensive) hotels in Chicago and St Louis convenient to the hockey arenas in those cities.

Suggestions as to whether or not it'll be a good idea to rent a car for the trip, or whether taxis/trains will be a better fit. If you're in San Francisco, you know how hard it is to park and what a bad idea rental cars are if you'll be in the city, for example.

Also, my kid is 3. Does anybody know if the any of the NHL venues in Nashville, Chicago, or St Louis allow kids as old as 3 in free?

If anybody has an inside track on getting tickets to these games, please let me know. I need to get those ASAP, and they're generally unavailable so far.

We'll be leaving for Nashville on October 4. The Nashville-SJ game is Oct 5, the Chicago-SJ game is the 6th, and the StL-SJ game is the 8th. Any help in finding those tix will be appreciated.

Please PM me if you can offer any assistance.

Nashville should not be any problem and the same goes for Chicago for tickets. In Nashville I would suggest to stay downtown. There is a Holiday Inn Express just south of the arena that I have stayed at before that is a lot better when it was a Ramada. Chicago I have no idea about other than I've heard that the United Center is not in the best part of town. When staying in St Louis, there is The Sheraton across from the arena that the Sharks will probably stay at. There are a few others that are probably a bit more in price (Hyatt to be specific) nearby.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Well sonofabitch.

I was looking forward to meeting "Your geekness" but I've got a damn wedding that Saturday.

:angry:

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy@Sep 8 2005, 12:41 AM
        Nashville should not be any problem and the same goes for Chicago for tickets. In Nashville I would suggest to stay downtown. There is a Holiday Inn Express just south of the arena that I have stayed at before that is a lot better when it was a Ramada. Chicago I have no idea about other than I've heard that the United Center is not in the best part of town. When staying in St Louis, there is The Sheraton across from the arena that the Sharks will probably stay at. There are a few others that are probably a bit more in price (Hyatt to be specific) nearby.
        The Westin isn't too far from Savvis, either.
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB+Sep 8 2005, 12:45 AM-->
          QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 8 2005, 12:45 AM)

I see someone mentioned the Sheraton, you can usually get it on Priceline for about $35-$40 a night.

Comment

Oh and if you are lucky you can get the Hyatt for about the same price, although that doesn't happen too often.

Comment

These folks are trying to steer you wrong here Sharky. So as one hockey fan to another let me give you some better places in the Loo.

First off, I'll assume you'll rent a car at the airport. I'd make sure you get a Lincoln or some such "premier" type car. Also make sure you get to the ATM and pick up as much cash as you can, and make sure to display it. Then when you arrive here drive straight down I-70 East. You can make one of two choices here, personally I'd say you ought to get off at Goodfellow, head south to Natural Bridge and then East again on Nat Bridge. You'll see a stoplight (well you may see a stoplight...*ahem*) make a right on Clara and drive about down there to get the culture. You'll find some places that you can stay cheap.

Otherwise keep heading east until you cross over the river, keep going until you see the Martin Luther King Dr. and take that into town. The atmosphere here is fabulous so you'll probably wish to spend some time here to soak up the atmosphere. Just drive around and if you get lost just ask some of the residents (you may even meet Charlie and Pookie), they'll be sure to point you in the right direction.
              You'll probably like it so much you'll never leave.
              "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
              "I didn't know you
              had any feelings"

Comment

Is there an MLK Drive anywhere where you think, man, I'm in the nice part of town now!
                The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 8 2005, 01:48 AM
                  Is there an MLK Drive anywhere where you think, man, I'm in the nice part of town now!
                  Yes.
                  East St. Louis, now quit trying to misdirect our friend Airshark.
                  "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                  "I didn't know you
                  had any feelings"

Comment

Airshark, you don't need to rent a car for St.Louis...downtown isn't that big, or exciting. You'll check out the arch, you'll probably go to Union Station, because all tourists seem to think its a place to go, you'll grab dinner somewhere, you'll probably meet a lounger or two, then go to the game...all of that is likely within a mile of your hotel.

For Chicago though, a car may not be a bad idea, you'll probably save a little bit money over cab fares if you rent a car.

Nashville, I couldn't tell you.
                    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Can't park in Chicago though.

I would do the opposite although in reality you don't need a car in the Loo either.
                      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Sep 8 2005, 06:27 AM
                        Can't park in Chicago though.

I would do the opposite although in reality you don;t need a car in the Loo wither.
                        Yeah forgot about parking.
                        You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Everything in downtown Nashville is within walking distance from TEH GAYLORD. The players stay in the hotel across the street (a Hilton Suites, I think? At any rate, the players typically eat at Eddie George's restaurant in the lobby either before/after games).

All the eateries and whatnot are within easy walking distance of wherever you are staying down there. It's a really fun city.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

rent a car in St. Louis...parking is fine, and the cabs suck here.
                            For hotels here, the "Sheraton City Center St. Louis" is right across the street from the Kiel center. The Hyatt Regency is on the other side of the Kiel center in Union station (http://www.stlouisunionstation.com/hotel/index.html) and the Westin isn't too far east. Those three are probably your best bet.

don't bother with a car in Chicago. Much better cab system, and they have the EL. Also, don't look for a hotel around the United Center, you're better off staying downtown.

can't give you much info about Nashville.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Working...
                            X