Introducing....the iPod nano and itunes phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing....the iPod nano and itunes phone

SAN FRANCISCO--Ending months of fervent speculation, Apple Computer on Wednesday rolled out a cell phone capable of playing music and accessing iTunes.

The company also announced a tiny new iPod that can hold 1,000 songs and is about the size of a standard No. 2 pencil, according to Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

At an invitation-only event for journalists and others here, Jobs and Motorola CEO Ed Zander rolled out the Rokr (rhymes with "soccer"). The introduction of the product had been expected since July 2004, when Motorola and Apple announced plans to collaborate on a music-capable phone.

"Today the talk ends and the music begins," said Ralph de la Vega, Cingular's chief operating officer. Cingular will be the exclusive U.S. carrier of the phone.

The Rokr, which will be available starting this weekend, can hold about 100 songs. It has a color display for viewing album art and features built-in dual-stereo speakers, as well as stereo headphones that also serve as a mobile headset with microphones.

Also on Wednesday, Apple announced a new iPod, the iPod nano: "1,000 songs in your pocket and impossibly small," Jobs said. It's "thinner than a No. 2 pencil," he said to oohs and aahs from the audience. "The iPod Nano is 80 percent smaller than the original iPod."

iPod nano comes in two models--the 4GB iPod nano holds up to 1,000 songs and the 2GB iPod nano holds up to 500 songs. They cost about $249 and $199, respectively.
    "iPod nano is the biggest revolution since the original iPod," Jobs added. "iPod nano is a full-featured iPod in an impossibly small size, and it's going to change the rules for the entire portable music market."

The iPod nano features the same 30-pin dock connector as the iPod and iPod mini, allowing it to work effortlessly with a wide range of over 1,000 accessories developed for iPod, including home stereo speakers and iPod car adapters for an incredible music experience at home or in the car.

The Rokr phone and iPod nano represent two attempts by Apple to extend the enormous popularity of its iPod into a vast new market.

Apple said it sold nearly 6.2 million iPods between April and June of this year, representing 616 percent growth in iPod sales compared with the same time last year. Revenues totaled just $249,000 but included the introduction of the flash-based iPod shuffle, which sells for as little as $99 at many large retailers.

Those iPod sales have propelled Apple into a lead market position, with a 53 percent share of all digital-music players, according to a report Tuesday by Solutions Research Group. Sony and RCA tied for a distant second with 9 percent share each.

Apple's success has had a tremendous ripple effect on the digital-music player industry. D&M Holdings, which makes the Rio music player, said last month that it is shuttering its portable digital-audio division, in part because of competitive business dominated by Apple.

Despite Apple's steps into the mobile-phone music player space, analysts are mixed on its effect on the iPod generation.

"I see the move as largely defensive," said Roger Kay, president and chief analyst with Endpoint Technologies Associates. "A cell phone is not the optimal device for listening to music. Among other things, you need two headsets, one for phone (one ear, with mike) and one for music (stereo phones, no mike)."

Kay said Apple should be concerned, however, that handset makers and network providers might try to bypass the need to work with Apple's iPod hardware, given that cell phones are exceptionally popular.

Gartner analysts estimate 780 million handsets will be sold this year alone with 1 billion cell phones sold every year by 2009.

Other analysts such as Tim Deal with Technology Business Research (TBR) say that Apple's move into the cell phone market is a natural evolution of not only its iPod strategy but its iTunes store as well.

"The pervasiveness of cell phones in the world makes sense that there should be a relationship of these cell phones and iTunes," Deal said.

Motorola is also banking on more sales of its handsets with Apple as a partner. Garner currently ranks Motorola as the No. 2 seller of cell phones behind Nokia, which recently released its own N91 handset. The music player comes with a color screen, a camera and has 4GB of storage that can hold more than 1,000 songs. Samsung's SGH i300 and Sony's Walkman W800 are similar products to Motorola's Rokr.

Motorola's iTunes phone also has significant market potential for Cingular. According to Solutions Research Group, 14 percent of Cingular's customers have a digital music player. A larger proportion, 17 percent of those surveyed, report that they want to buy one within 12 months, the report said.

One in four Cingular customers surveyed (26 percent) have downloaded a ring tone at some point in the past. That's fewer than Sprint Nextel customers at 32 percent, but more than Verizon at 19 percent, the survey said.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

That is fucking sweet. I hafta git me one of those.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

fucking cool, but not enough reason yet to depart with my 30GB v3 ipod.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Sep 7 2005, 12:30 PM
          That is fucking sweet. I hafta git me one of those.

Official lounge sponsor of new Busch Stadium!

Comment

Originally posted by DLove+Sep 7 2005, 04:29 PM-->
            QUOTE(DLove @ Sep 7 2005, 04:29 PM)

SAN FRANCISCO--Four additional automakers will offer iPod support as an optional feature starting with 2006 models, Apple Computer announced on Wednesday.

At a Apple press event here, Audi, Volkswagen, Honda and its Acura luxury division showed off their yet-to-be-released cars sporting the latest iPod Nano linked to the stereo system and other volume controls on the steering wheel.

When installed by a car manufacturer or the dealer, the iPod is tethered to the stereo behind the dashboard with an access line running either to the glove compartment or a lockable center console.

Fifteen car companies currently support iPod kits, including BMW, Mercedes-Benz USA, Volvo, Scion and Ferrari.

With its additional partners, Apple estimates that more than 5 million cars will ship with iPod support in the U.S. in the next year.

"By 2006, 30 percent of all cars will come with an option of connecting to an iPod device," Apple CEO Steve Jobs predicted during the press event where the Rokr phone and iPod Nano were also announced.

The deal with automakers differs from iPod integration products Apple endorses with stereo accessory manufacturers such as Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer and Kenwood. Custom kits from those companies range from iPod-ready units to self-install options to professionally installed products.

Honda and Acura said they would augment their iPod connector kits with text-to-speech capabilities, which representatives with the company said can be used to search for playlists and other title information.

Volkswagen, Honda and Acura said they would offer iPod support for the majority of their 2006 U.S. lineups. Audi said it would only feature its iPod connectors in its A3, A4 and TT models.

Audi and Volkswagen said they would also offer a separate iPod connector kit to dealers for outfitting its vehicles as old as 1999.

The kits can be purchased separately for as much as $175, not including dealer installation fees, each carmaker said. The kits would only be recommended to only the most tech-savvy customers who don't mind spending a couple of hours underneath the dashboard.

Comment

As you know I just bought this thing

But it only has 256 meg of ram, but it is Very loud, and has an FM tuner. Add that sweet 1000 song iPod nano via the external port on the Philips thing and I have a sweet machine.
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Bought the black 4 gig today. This thing is fucking awesome. Apple is going to sell 11 billion of these things.

It's tiny, feels solid as a rock and the screen looks great. I was worried that photos wouldn't look that good but they look amazing.

Go to the Apple store and get them while you can, because I guarantee that if you wait two weeks you will encounter massive shortages. Just like the mini when it came out.
                To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

I just don't get it. They didn't really do any fundamental changes right?
                  It's a smaller skinnier ipod.
                  Whoopee.

Did they respond to their most grevious error of not making it possible to wirelessly buy music from the iTunes store? No.
                  Did they change anything to allow for different formats of music (*.ogg etc.)? Once again no.
                  So essentially all they did was to bring out iPod ver. 3.2 right? And this is a major announcement?

As far as the phone, all I'm seeing is a phone with even more annoying ringtones. In a couple of generations it might be something, but currently not so much.

Am I looking at this the wrong way?
                  "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                  "I didn't know you
                  had any feelings"

Comment

I was at the Apple store today, people are just nuts for these things, I bet 15 people bought them in front of me.

And they are SMALL, like you don't really know how small until you hold one, you could have it anywhere and not know.

And 1000 songs? geez, how many songs do you need on a device that you can reload whenever you want to, I mean you take it to work and listen ALL day and never repeat.

Very cool.
                    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by SunuvaNun@Sep 9 2005, 08:03 PM
                      Whoopee.

Did they respond to their most grevious error of not making it possible to wirelessly buy music from the iTunes store? No.
                      Did they change anything to allow for different formats of music (*.ogg etc.)? Once again no.
                      So essentially all they did was to bring out iPod ver. 3.2 right? And this is a major announcement?

As far as the phone, all I'm seeing is a phone with even more annoying ringtones. In a couple of generations it might be something, but currently not so much.

because you are basically a geek like some of us.

but the vast majority of people are not and they just want something nice simple and clean like this.

so no you are not looking at this the wrong way but not everyone is going to look at it the same way you do or care about Ogg or whatever.

han solo

Comment

Originally posted by SunuvaNun@Sep 9 2005, 06:03 PM
                        Whoopee.

Also, did they fix this battery problem that I keep hearing about? The one where the battery oh-so-conveniently craps out right after the warranty expires?

Has anyone heard any update on Apple's policy regarding this?
                        Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by DLove+Sep 7 2005, 03:29 PM-->
                          QUOTE(DLove @ Sep 7 2005, 03:29 PM)

Just picked up one of these sweet babies. You can load it with 8 D-cell batteries and a cassette full of your ten favorite songs and then lug this bad boy on your shoulder while walking up and down your street.

Chicks dig boom boxes.

Comment

Working...
                          X