Press hammers WH press secretary McClellan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press hammers WH press secretary McClellan

Q One last question. The person who says that he found out about the Convention Center seeing it on the media -- that is to say the FEMA director -- is still in place. Is that satisfactory that somebody would have responded like that?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, this is getting into -- we're somewhat engaged in a blame game. We've got to --

Q It's not a blame game. That's accountability --

MR. McCLELLAN: Terry, we've got to --

Q It's accountability.

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes.

Q Is "Brownie" still doing a "heck of a job," according to the President?

MR. McCLELLAN: We've got to continue to do everything we can in support of those who are involved in the operational aspects of this response effort. And that's what we're going to do. There will be plenty of time --

Q If he fails at it, he's not going to be good at it going forward. That's what Bob is saying.

MR. McCLELLAN: There are people working round-the-clock with FEMA. The Secretary, the FEMA Director and many others who are working round-the-clock. And we've got to do everything we can in support of their efforts to make sure people are getting what they need.

Q Does the President really believe we could respond to a terrorist attack with any -- amount of weeks, months?

MR. McCLELLAN: We've actually done a lot of exercises, David, to prepare for possible attacks, but --

Q Do you think most Americans agree, based on --

MR. McCLELLAN: But the most important thing we've got to do is focus on --

Q You mean exercises for Hurricane Katrina.

MR. McCLELLAN: We've got to focus on prevention, and that's what we're doing by staying on the offensive.

Q Well, let's talk about it. Are you saying the President is -- are you saying that the President is confident that his administration is prepared to adequately, confidently secure the American people in the event of a terrorist attack of a level that we have not seen? And based on what does he have that confidence?

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes, and that's what he made clear earlier today, that obviously we want to look and learn lessons from a major catastrophe of this nature.

Q Yes, but you're telling us today there will be time for that somewhere down the road. Well, what if it happens tomorrow?

MR. McCLELLAN: We can engage in this blame-gaming going on and I think that's what you're getting --

Q No, no. That's a talking point, Scott, and I think most people who are watching this --

MR. McCLELLAN: No, that's a fact. I mean, some are wanting to engage in that, and we're going to remain focused --

Q I'm asking a direct question. Is he confident --

MR. McCLELLAN: We're going to remain focused on the people.

Q -- that he can secure the American people in the event of a major terrorist attack?

MR. McCLELLAN: We are securing the American people by staying on the offensive abroad and working to spread freedom and democracy in the Middle East.

Q That's a talking point. That's a talking point.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, that's a fact.

Go ahead.

Q No, it's not. And you think people who are watching this think that's -- from what does he derive that confidence, based on the response --

MR. McCLELLAN: David, I'm interested in the people in the region that have been affected and getting them help. We can sit here and engage in this back and forth --

Q The whole country is watching and wondering about some --

MR. McCLELLAN: The time for bickering and blame-gaming is later. The time for helping people in the region is now.

The rest
    Dude. Can. Fly.

I almost feel sorry for Scott McClellan.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Sep 7 2005, 08:08 AM

Moon
      That's a talking point.
      No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
      President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
      President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by mw.2+Sep 7 2005, 08:12 AM-->
        QUOTE(mw.2 @ Sep 7 2005, 08:12 AM)

Originally posted by Moon Man@Sep 7 2005, 07:08 AM

Moon
        I don't...he's a bigger douche bag than his predecessor.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Sep 7 2005, 08:18 AM-->
          QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Sep 7 2005, 08:18 AM)

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Sep 7 2005, 07:04 AM
          Q One last question. The person who says that he found out about the Convention Center seeing it on the media -- that is to say the FEMA director -- is still in place. Is that satisfactory that somebody would have responded like that?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, this is getting into -- we're somewhat engaged in a blame game. We've got to --

Q It's not a blame game. That's accountability --

MR. McCLELLAN: Terry, we've got to --

Q It's accountability.

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes.

Q Is "Brownie" still doing a "heck of a job," according to the President?

MR. McCLELLAN: We've got to continue to do everything we can in support of those who are involved in the operational aspects of this response effort. And that's what we're going to do. There will be plenty of time --

Q If he fails at it, he's not going to be good at it going forward. That's what Bob is saying.

MR. McCLELLAN: There are people working round-the-clock with FEMA. The Secretary, the FEMA Director and many others who are working round-the-clock. And we've got to do everything we can in support of their efforts to make sure people are getting what they need.

Q Does the President really believe we could respond to a terrorist attack with any -- amount of weeks, months?

MR. McCLELLAN: We've actually done a lot of exercises, David, to prepare for possible attacks, but --

Q Do you think most Americans agree, based on --

MR. McCLELLAN: But the most important thing we've got to do is focus on --

Q You mean exercises for Hurricane Katrina.

MR. McCLELLAN: We've got to focus on prevention, and that's what we're doing by staying on the offensive.

Q Well, let's talk about it. Are you saying the President is -- are you saying that the President is confident that his administration is prepared to adequately, confidently secure the American people in the event of a terrorist attack of a level that we have not seen? And based on what does he have that confidence?

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes, and that's what he made clear earlier today, that obviously we want to look and learn lessons from a major catastrophe of this nature.

Q Yes, but you're telling us today there will be time for that somewhere down the road. Well, what if it happens tomorrow?

MR. McCLELLAN: We can engage in this blame-gaming going on and I think that's what you're getting --

Q No, no. That's a talking point, Scott, and I think most people who are watching this --

MR. McCLELLAN: No, that's a fact. I mean, some are wanting to engage in that, and we're going to remain focused --

Q I'm asking a direct question. Is he confident --

MR. McCLELLAN: We're going to remain focused on the people.

Q -- that he can secure the American people in the event of a major terrorist attack?

MR. McCLELLAN: We are securing the American people by staying on the offensive abroad and working to spread freedom and democracy in the Middle East.

Q That's a talking point. That's a talking point.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, that's a fact.

Go ahead.

Q No, it's not. And you think people who are watching this think that's -- from what does he derive that confidence, based on the response --

MR. McCLELLAN: David, I'm interested in the people in the region that have been affected and getting them help. We can sit here and engage in this back and forth --

Q The whole country is watching and wondering about some --

MR. McCLELLAN: The time for bickering and blame-gaming is later. The time for helping people in the region is now.

The rest
          fucking brilliant! They should get the Skeptic if McClellan ever leaves or gets fires.

Comment

McClellan = Baghdad Bob

He dodges, spins, prevaricates and has a very tennuous grasp on reality.
            Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Since I really don't give a shit aboot press briefings....since when did press briefings become attack/antogonize the press secretary?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by *007*@Sep 7 2005, 07:11 PM
                Since I really don't give a shit aboot press briefings....since when did press briefings become attack/antogonize the press secretary?

When the president or other members of the White House doesn't make himself available for the tough questions?
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Sep 7 2005, 08:13 PM-->
                  QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 7 2005, 08:13 PM)

Originally posted by *007*@Sep 7 2005, 08:15 PM
                  I don't follow or care aboot press briefings w/ a press secretary being trotted out in front of the firing squad...it sure is funny to watch @ times....
                  What?

You don't take such things seriously?

What an affront. The White House Press Secretary has important things to say, and the press has important questions to ask.

Just ask dvyyyyyy

I demand an apology on his behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by King+Sep 7 2005, 08:22 PM-->
                    QUOTE(King @ Sep 7 2005, 08:22 PM)

Originally posted by *007*+Sep 7 2005, 07:15 PM-->
                    QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 7 2005, 07:15 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Sep 7 2005, 08:36 PM
                    Actually I wasn't snapping, just guessing ...

Regardless, it makes for good light reading.
                    He and the guys before him (Ari Fleischer, Mike McCurry, Joe Lockhart, Dee Dee Myers (she's a man, baby!) , the Fitz and Larry Speakes) are all unlucky SOBs...wouldn't want that gig

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                    X