Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC World News, Channel 9--St. Louis

I don't pay much attention to them.

Happened to stumble upon the broadcast just now, however.

My God.

If you think CNN or other broadcasts are somewhat biased, you need to watch this diatribe.

Harshly critical of the Bush administration's response to the crisis?

Fine.

That seems to be fair game in this media frenzy "blame-game" bullshit.

Par for the course. You have to expect it.

But they mentioned that a major aircraft carrier/battleship had been called back and arrived today in the Gulf of Mexico.

The reporter referred to it as one of America's "Toys of War."

Goddmamnit, that boiled my blood.

Our Toys of War saved your asses from the Nazis, Great Britain.

I know that's over the top.

The BBC doesn't reflect the English public, does it?

And they probably could have held off Nazi Germany for another month or so, right? :P

But, man.

China's comin', folks. Maybe not right now, but just you wait.

Let's see how Europeans feel then.

Whenever I want to find out what's going on in America, I tune into the BBC World News on NPR.

It's rather "unfiltered."

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

"unfiltered."

Maybe so.

Unthought out comes to mind too.

Did you see the broadcast? <_<

It was repugnant.

Somewhat in the content, but moreso in its attitude.

Comment

Y'know what, skep? You need to check a history book.

We may have saved much of Europe from Nazi tyranny, but Great Britain wasn't one of the nations we "saved". They did a pretty good job of kicking Hitler's ass all by themselves when they had to, actually, both in the Battle Of Britain and in North Africa.

In fact, they pretty much isolated Nazi Germany into Western Europe. Think the Nazis were ever going to get a stable economy? No way they'd ever have the power to break a UK blockade of their ports, and the RAF blunted the Luftwaffe so badly by 1942 that they were able to finish the job prior to D-Day relatively easily.

Your jingo stick is showing.
        I like cheese.

Comment

And, geez, if it wasn't for the US of A, France would be a communist country right now.

Oh, you mean it is? Nevermind...

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
          Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
          Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

And FWIW, as horrifying as D-Day and Normandy most certainly were, the Russians did all the heavy lifting against Hitler.

His misadventures in Stalingrad cost him the West.

"Toys of War" is a bit ridiculous, but he is British.
            The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Seppo once again revealed as the fraud that he is.

Spouting shite as if it were fact..and then plays coy when presented with real facts.

Crawl back in to your hole, Seppo.

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 7 2005, 12:43 AM
                And FWIW, as horrifying as D-Day and Normandy most certainly were, the Russians did all the heavy lifting against Hitler.

Yeah, I remember watching a WW2 special on The History Channel one time where German generals told Hitler that Germany wouldn't be 100% ready for a large scale war against the Soviet Union, Britain or even America until 1945.
                RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Rdog3933@Sep 6 2005, 11:22 PM
                  And, geez, if it wasn't for the US of A, France would be a communist country right now.

Oh, you mean it is? Nevermind...
                  And if it wasn't for France, the US of A, wouldn't be a country at all.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 7 2005, 01:43 AM

We lost around half a million people in WW2.

Russia lost something like 25 million. I may have the figures wrong, but I think the ratio was about 50/1.
                    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Garvin+Sep 7 2005, 06:20 AM-->
                      QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Sep 7 2005, 06:20 AM)

Perhaps "toys of war" was intended to reflect discontent about W's willingness today to use military advantage rather than diplomacy to achieve political results. JJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man+Sep 7 2005, 05:43 AM-->
                        QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 7 2005, 05:43 AM)

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 7 2005, 12:43 AM

Hitler's obsession with Russia cost him the war. I have a great book by Bevin Alexander (How Hitler could have won WW2) that does a brilliant job of showing how Hitler's various obsessions at first won him much, but eventually cost him the war.

The Russian front was one reason for Germany losing, but Alexander also explains that had Hitler dominated N. Africa rather than sitting back he could have eventually taken the middle east and their oil resources very easily and maintained an iron grip on the region.

All he had to do was take Egypt. But he sent troops to Russia instead.

I'm no historian, and this is one of the few books I've read on the matter, so I can only convey Alexander's thoughts here....

(translated: if this is wrong, blame him! )
                        No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                        President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                        President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeptic@Sep 6 2005, 11:20 PM
                          I don't pay much attention to them.

Happened to stumble upon the broadcast just now, however.

My God.

If you think CNN or other broadcasts are somewhat biased, you need to watch this diatribe.

Harshly critical of the Bush administration's response to the crisis?

Fine.

That seems to be fair game in this media frenzy "blame-game" bullshit.

Par for the course. You have to expect it.

But they mentioned that a major aircraft carrier/battleship had been called back and arrived today in the Gulf of Mexico.

The reporter referred to it as one of America's "Toys of War."

Goddmamnit, that boiled my blood.

Our Toys of War saved your asses from the Nazis, Great Britain.

I know that's over the top.

The BBC doesn't reflect the English public, does it?

And they probably could have held off Nazi Germany for another month or so, right? :P

But, man.

China's comin', folks. Maybe not right now, but just you wait.

Let's see how Europeans feel then.
                          Wow!! You get a half hour of news you don't like and start crying. At home you get Fox News 24/7 on cable, I'm not sure about that trade off.

Comment

Working...
                          X