Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stark compares Yadier to Bench

8. USELESS THOU SHALT NOT STEAL INFO

What, exactly, do Yadier Molina and Johnny Bench have in common? Well, nothing yet -- aside from their mutual affection for shin guards. But that might be about to change. In case you hadn't picked up on this, nobody ever steals a base against the Cardinals anymore. They allowed just 26 stolen bases in their first 138 games -- which, as loyal reader Jason Pritchett reports, would put them on a pace to permit only 31 steals all year.

So what does that have to do with Bench? Here goes: According to Elias, only one National League team in the division-play era ever allowed fewer than 35 stolen bases in a full season. And that was Bench's 1972 Reds, also with 31.
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Sep 6 2005, 03:03 PM
    8. USELESS THOU SHALT NOT STEAL INFO

What, exactly, do Yadier Molina and Johnny Bench have in common? Well, nothing yet -- aside from their mutual affection for shin guards. But that might be about to change. In case you hadn't picked up on this, nobody ever steals a base against the Cardinals anymore. They allowed just 26 stolen bases in their first 138 games -- which, as loyal reader Jason Pritchett reports, would put them on a pace to permit only 31 steals all year.

So what does that have to do with Bench? Here goes: According to Elias, only one National League team in the division-play era ever allowed fewer than 35 stolen bases in a full season. And that was Bench's 1972 Reds, also with 31.
    No love for Mahoney or Einar?
    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

I credit Einar.

Comment

Hell, they could have stolen 31 off of Einar by himself in the 20 games or so he started.

Yadi is the man.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Einar has thrown out 42 percent of attempted stealers, which is pretty damn good unless compared to Yadi.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Sep 6 2005, 03:17 PM
            Einar has thrown out 42 percent of attempted stealers, which is pretty damn good unless compared to Yadi.

I suspect that's true. However, Einar has caused more Cardinals, including himself, to be thrown out before reaching a base in more crucial situations than any Cardninal I can remember in memory.

If we win the World Series with this guy on the roster this team should be considered the best in my lifetime because Enier is the biggest handicap a Cardinal team has had in memory.

I'm sure he's a nice guy. He's not a nice baseball player though. And, certainly not a nice Cardinal.

Comment

I love Yadi but doesn't the pitching staff deserve a little credit too?

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Sep 6 2005, 04:42 PM
                maybe a little....but not much.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Sep 6 2005, 04:42 PM
                  indeed. I remember hearing some unreal stat about how nobody had stolen off Carp for a while.
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott
                  Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                  5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy+Sep 6 2005, 04:49 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Guppy @ Sep 6 2005, 04:49 PM)

Originally posted by backstop+Sep 6 2005, 04:04 PM-->
                    QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 6 2005, 04:04 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Sep 6 2005, 05:26 PM-->
                    QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 6 2005, 05:26 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2005, 04:04 PM
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2005, 04:49 PM

Great defensive comparison. Let's see if Yadi ends up with 389 career HR, and male pattern baldness.

Comment

And a country western album

Comment

Working...
                      X