19. Boston College 1-0 372
    20. Notre Dame 1-0 345
    21. Texas Tech 0-0 274
    22. TCU 1-0 254
    23. Virginia 1-0 232
    24. Fresno State 0-0 221
    25. Clemson 1-0 164

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES
    Alabama 153, Oregon 119, Auburn 118, Utah 111, Texas AM 106, Colorado 61, Wisconsin 44, Boise State 31, UCLA 23, Iowa State 21, Minnesota 16, Penn State 16, N.C. State 13, Michigan State 11, Arizona 10, UTEP 8, Bowling Green 7, Oregon State 6, Southern Miss 5, West Virginia 3, Toledo 2.

DROPPED FROM RANKINGS
    Auburn 16, Texas AM 17, Boise State 18, Pittsburgh 23.

Week 2 USA Today Poll
    1. USC (60) 1-0 1,547
    2. Texas (2) 1-0 1,462
    3. Michigan 1-0 1,337
    4. Tennessee 1-0 1,268
    5. LSU 0-0 1,203
    6. Virginia Tech 1-0 1,201
    7. Ohio State 1-0 1,178
    8. Iowa 1-0 1,120
    9. Georgia 1-0 1,036
    10. Florida 1-0 1,030
    11. Florida State 1-0 1,022
    12. Louisville 1-0 794
    13. Purdue 0-0 741
    14. Miami 0-1 679
    15. Arizona State 1-0 589
    16. Oklahoma 0-1 545
    17. California 1-0 454
    18. Boston College 1-0 416
    19. Texas Tech 0-0 366
    20. Virginia 1-0 304
    21. Georgia Tech 1-0 300
    22. Alabama 1-0 245
    23. Notre Dame 1-0 165
    24. Fresno State 0-0 152
    25. Auburn 0-1 138

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES
    Oregon 114, TCU 113, Wisconsin 103, Utah 91, Clemson 91, Texas AM 59, Minnesota 54, N.C. State 31, Penn State 30, Colorado 29, UCLA 28, UTEP 23, West Virginia 16, Boise State 15, Bowling Green 12, Toledo 12, Pittsburgh 9, South Carolina 6, Missouri 6, Southern Miss 4, Kansas State 3, Maryland 2, Michigan State 2, Iowa State 2, Air Force 2, Northwestern 1.

DROPPED FROM RANKINGS
    Texas AM 17, Boise State 19, Pittsburgh 25.

How would a Northwestern alum know how to vote on big time football?

Comment

We're #52, and you can't take that away from us.

Comment

(B)

Comment

Ohio State moved up 2 spots on the AP Poll...I'm surprised.
          You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

I don't see any reason why Tennessee should still be in the top 10 after barely beating UAB...The preseason polls usually help Ohio State's cause, so I'm not gonna complain about them to much, but when a top 10 team only beats a "pre-season" patsy opponent by 7, they should drop like a rock in the rankings, no matter who they are...they dropped a little bit, but after their first game there isn't much a person could say to justify them being a top 10 team. Oh well, they'll either prove last week was a fluke or lose against Florida this week, I suspect they'll lose.
            You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Lousiville should also drop.
              June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Can't wait to see the rankings after Ohio State beats Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Sep 6 2005, 07:13 PM
                  Can't wait to see the rankings after Ohio State beats Texas.
                  It's not unreasonable that you could have 3 Big 10 teams in the top 5, and 4 in the top 10 after next weekend.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor:
                  Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                  The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                  Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Lippa, I doubt you have any way to get this, but there's a show that has a pretty broad following in these parts called Southern Sports tonight. There's an a.m. version that I listened to coming back from Tallahassee this morning, and one of the hosts couldn't stop gushing about how good the SEC was. There was one caller who challenged him that the Big 10 was better, and the host pooh-poohed the suggestion because he said that the speed of the SEC was far better than that of the Big 10. I have about decided that there are some people who are so inbred to Southern football that they can't think rationally, and this guy is one of them. I think the Big 10 is clearly the best conference in the country, and the SEC may not be better than the ACC.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty Nate@Sep 6 2005, 02:39 PM
                      I don't see any reason why Tennessee should still be in the top 10 after barely beating UAB...The preseason polls usually help Ohio State's cause, so I'm not gonna complain about them to much, but when a top 10 team only beats a "pre-season" patsy opponent by 7, they should drop like a rock in the rankings, no matter who they are...they dropped a little bit, but after their first game there isn't much a person could say to justify them being a top 10 team. Oh well, they'll either prove last week was a fluke or lose against Florida this week, I suspect they'll lose.
                      I seem to recall you complaining about the Buckeyes dropping in the 2003 polls when they barely beat teams like San Diego State.

Anyway, I think Tennessee did drop a little. Weren't they No. 3 before? Michigan jumped from 4 to 3 and the only top team that lost was Oklahoma at 7. So whoever was 3 before dropped and I think that was Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Sep 6 2005, 07:42 PM
                        Lippa, I doubt you have any way to get this, but there's a show that has a pretty broad following in these parts called Southern Sports tonight. There's an a.m. version that I listened to coming back from Tallahassee this morning, and one of the hosts couldn't stop gushing about how good the SEC was. There was one caller who challenged him that the Big 10 was better, and the host pooh-poohed the suggestion because he said that the speed of the SEC was far better than that of the Big 10. I have about decided that there are some people who are so inbred to Southern football that they can't think rationally, and this guy is one of them. I think the Big 10 is clearly the best conference in the country, and the SEC may not be better than the ACC.
                        I think I've heard of the show before, but never heard it. The arrogance of the SEC crow has irked me for a long time. There's a large contingent that refuses to believe that good football is played outside of the Deep South, no matter what's actually happening on the field. The one card they always play is about the speed, but that became pretty much irrelevant in the early 90s. Unless, of course, the 4.3s run at Ohio St. and Oklahoma are somehow slower than the 4.3s run at Florida and Tennessee.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor:
                        Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                        The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                        Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa+Sep 6 2005, 04:59 PM-->
                          QUOTE(Lippa @ Sep 6 2005, 04:59 PM)

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Sep 6 2005, 04:42 PM
                          Here's my general take on this: the SEC isn't always the best conference but it also is less cyclical than the other conferences. While the Big 10 and Big 12 have some down years, I don't think the SEC ever does. I think those three conferences have taken turns being the nation's best the last 15 years or so, with the ACC now rising with Miami and Virginia Tech having joined, but the SEC is never really down the way the Big 10 was last year.

I also think the Big East and Pac-10 have consistently been the two worst of the big six at least since the BCS began.

Comment

The show I spoke of earlier may now be called Conference Call.

Let's see, I was impressed with Georgia and Vandy. The effusive praise of Florida is a mystery to me. People want Florida to be good because Urban Meyer looks and sounds like a super football coach, and they are longing to have one of those in Gainesville. (and I'm still not convinced that his offense is going to work against defenses as fast as the ones he'll face in the SEC) South Carolina has a long way to go. Tennessee won't beat too many people if they play like they did Saturday. Auburn had their hat handed to them, Arkansas was still in a close game with SW Mo. St. in the fourth quarter, Alabama was middlin' against Middle Tennessee State and I think LSU is going to have trouble with ASU this weekend. I know things can change a lot between weeks 1 and 2, but I'll take the Big 10 over the SEC right now.

Dev, the folks on Conference Call were saying (probably out of SEC arrogance) that USC's toughest game this year will be Arkansas. I thought out loud, "no, ASU," but beyond the Sun Devils, who is there is in the PAC 10 that stands a remote chance of giving the Trojans a game? UCLA? Oregon?

Comment

Working...
                            X