DisneyWorld Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisneyWorld Questions

My oldest daughter is 13 and before she gets too cool to hang with Mom & Dad, I want to take the kids to DisneyWorld in Orlando for the first time. I have a few questions for those that have been:

1. Is it really that big of a deal to stay on the property? I know we can probably save some money if we stay in a hotel nearby. Looking for pros and cons.

2. Should I go through a travel agent for some kind of package or just try to piece things together on my own?

3.I know there is some kind of all inclusive pass for Disney, Universal, Sea World and 1 other place you can buy for like $300 each. Is it worth it?

I know this will require a small fortune, but I want to do it anyway. Any other advice or things to look into would be appreciated.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Sep 6 2005, 10:23 AM
    My oldest daughter is 13 and before she gets too cool to hang with Mom & Dad, I want to take the kids to DisneyWorld in Orlando for the first time. I have a few questions for those that have been:

1. Is it really that big of a deal to stay on the property? I know we can probably save some money if we stay in a hotel nearby. Looking for pros and cons.

2. Should I go through a travel agent for some kind of package or just try to piece things together on my own?

3.I know there is some kind of all inclusive pass for Disney, Universal, Sea World and 1 other place you can buy for like $300 each. Is it worth it?

I know this will require a small fortune, but I want to do it anyway. Any other advice or things to look into would be appreciated.
    Elvis,

Every kid needs to go to Disney at least once. My first time, I was 22 and still thought it was pretty kick ass.

Talk to AWSmith about travel plans. Seriously.

Comment

I took the family a couple of years ago. I really loved Typhoon Lagoon (water park). It beat the crap out of any other water park I have been to.
      They have a pool that you snorkle across. It has sharks, rays and all kinds of other cool fish in it. The lazy river also went around the whole park.
      I didn't make it to the other water park. I'm sure it is good too.

We stayed in Daytona on the ocean and drove there a couple of days when we went. Do not do that. We ended up being on the opposite side of Orlando and the traffic was a bitch.

One other scam I did was to buy 4-day park hopper passes from Disney.com. We used 2 days and I sold the remaining two days (for over half what I paid for the passes) on E-bay when we got back.

Comment

++ on traffic.

We took I-4 from St Pete to Sea World on a Sunday morning. 1:45 drive time.
        We left Sea World around 7pm on that dat. Got back to St Pete around 11:30.

Comment

WDW is fantastic. We spent 4 days there and it wasn't enough, for the kids, that is. I really enjoyed it and the kids were like 14 and 12 so you're picking the perfect time to go. We stayed in a motel not far from WDW and it was all right. I really don't have an opinion on the best place to stay except I've always considered the WDW to be a money grabbing extravaganza and I just didn't care to add to the corporate profits by staying on their property. But that's just me.

But your daughter will love it. Perfect age. Are there other kids going and what age are they?
          RIP Stan the Man
          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
          I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy@Sep 6 2005, 10:31 AM
            WDW is fantastic. We spent 4 days there and it wasn't enough, for the kids, that is. I really enjoyed it and the kids were like 14 and 12 so you're picking the perfect time to go. We stayed in a motel not far from WDW and it was all right. I really don't have an opinion on the best place to stay except I've always considered the WDW to be a money grabbing extravaganza and I just didn't care to add to the corporate profits by staying on their property. But that's just me.

But your daughter will love it. Perfect age. Are there other kids going and what age are they?
            2 daughters 13 and 11.
            1 son who is 18 months old. Makes it more of a challenge with him along, but it might be a year or so before we go, so maybe he'll be a little better at 2 and a half.

What's the best time of year to go?
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

any ideas on how to convince the wife that our 6 year old son and 2 year old daughter are too young to really appreciate WDW? I`m working against millions of dollars in advertising here.
              "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Sep 6 2005, 10:34 AM-->
                QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 6 2005, 10:34 AM)

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Sep 6 2005, 11:34 AM
                October/November.
                But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

Originally posted by blue zone@Sep 6 2005, 10:40 AM
                  any ideas on how to convince the wife that our 6 year old son and 2 year old daughter are too young to really appreciate WDW? I`m working against millions of dollars in advertising here.
                  I speak from experience.

WAY TOO YOUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111 :o :o :o

Trust me. (B)
                  RIP Stan the Man
                  The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                  I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Sep 6 2005, 10:23 AM

I'm a semi Disney expert... I'll give you my "tid bits"/lesson's learned.

I love the place, used to go every year, but that gets kinda old really quick. I have always stayed on the property there - All Star Resorts to be exact. Its the cheapest place to stay, however, I'd like to stay at the Wilderness Lodge or the one they have by Animal Kindom one time. Both are VERY nice.

If you stay there, you can take advantage of their transportation system, which really isn't that bad, it's kind of a hastle at first if you don't know what is going on, but they do make it pretty simple. If you stay off the property, you'll have to drive everywhere (but they don't have a way of knowing who is supposed to be where, so I guess you could part at Downtown Disney for free, and then use their transportation to go to/from the parks).

Not sure what you guys like to eat, but if you stay on their property, you are somewhere limited. Depending on where you stay, you can rent a fridge to keep food in your room if you like (I highly suggest this!). The food at the All Star Resorts is the same food in the park, which can get old if you stay there for 7 days like I always have.

Are you in AAA? I know you can get some small discounts for that, might be something to look into. I don't think you need to have a travel agent to set it all up, it's not that hard.

I don't know about that pass you are talking about - never heard of it, but I haven't been down there in a few year.

I recommend the Park Hopper pass - but that also depends on how long you are staying. Since I have been there so many times, we just hit the stuff we want to see @ each park a half day at a time.

If you stay at Magic Kingdom for the firework show, hang out in Fantasy Land, the fireworks are shot off right there, you'll get a great view (at least we did one year we did that on accident).

Take advantage of the Fast Pass system, make it work for you. Get a fast pass for one ride, go to a ride right next to it, by the time you get off the second ride, it will be your turn to ride the first one.

Rides you HAVE to go on -
                    Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, The Haunted Mansion, the roller coaster in Frontier land and the log flume ride over there (I can't belive I'm forgetting the names of these rides!)
                    Epcot - Test Track. The ride about space was not open the last time I was there. The tour of the countries is cool if you have never been, but kinda old if you have seen it once. There is a really good show they do in America - more than likely will bring a tear to your eye.
                    MGM (closes at 6 for the most part) - Rockin Roller Coaster and the Tower of Terror. The Back lot tour is good of you have never been. There is a cool little area set up for Star Wars, so if you are into that - you will feel like you are in heaven The Little Mermaid show is actually really good - even if you don't like her. The Muppets Show is OUTSTANDING, a must see also.
                    Animal Kingdon - See the Bug's Life show - it's great. There is a dinosaur ride that is fun, and a water ride similar to Thunder River at Six Flags, but you will get soaked, no doubt about it. Of all the parks, Animal Kingdom is my least favorite.
                    Water parks - Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite.
                    Spend at least half the day at Downtown Disney. If you are into video games or Virtual Reality stuff, plan on spending an entire day at Disney Quest (located in Downtown Disney). It's open late (usually till 12). I heard though it's not covered under the Park hopper pass, but if you like the stuff I mentioned, you LOVE that place. (I could spend an entire day there actually).
                    Don't waste your time going to Pleasue Island - it sucks and isn't worth it.

That's all I can think of right now, and I KNOW I'm forgetting a lot of stuff.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
                    Feb. 08, 2005
                    Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                    Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                    Originally posted by Airshark
                    NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Sep 6 2005, 10:34 AM
                      Fall is the cheapest but you are really rolling the hurricane dice if you go too early in the fall. It is also a time of year where most people start looking forward to colder weather. Doesn't seem too appealing to go then to me.

We are talking about going again next summer. We tend to go in early June just after school lets out. I guess that is ok as far as expensive times of year goes. I'm pretty sure the Spring Break period and Memorial Day weekend are really busy and expensive.

FYI. My wife wants to stay on their property. Preferably at Animal Kingdom. They have a resort where you can sit on your balcony and see the giraffes, etc. walk by. I think it is around $5,000 for a family of 4 to fly down there and stay there for around 6 nights. I am not exactly sure on all of that. My wife did the research on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Garvin+Sep 6 2005, 10:46 AM-->
                        QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Sep 6 2005, 10:46 AM)

Originally posted by blue zone@Sep 6 2005, 10:40 AM
                        Damn flood control.

Way too young. You will have a miserable time with them. That's the mistake a lot of people make. Take them when they are older and can appriciate it, not to mention they are a little more "independant" which will take some of the "work" off you (not all of it, but it will be easier to deal with them)

I have only taken the kids once, Justin was 2, Deric was 2 and I was 8 months pregnant - that was a horrible time. :(
                        Feb. 08, 2005
                        Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                        Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                        Originally posted by Airshark
                        NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Beetlebop70+Sep 6 2005, 10:51 AM-->
                          QUOTE(Beetlebop70 @ Sep 6 2005, 10:51 AM)
                        Working...
                        X