Anybody ever packed up the fam and moved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever packed up the fam and moved

We just got back from our annual Labor Day short weekend vacation. We've done this about 11 out of the 13 years we've been married and every time on the drive back home, we talk about how nice it would be to live in this particular area. It's just a 2 1/2 hour drive from where we live now but it's a completely different atmosphere and pace of life. When we were first married there was no way we could pull up roots and move there for money reasons alone. Now, things are different and the move would be much simpler. We have kids but our 7 year old loves it there and he's young enough that the move shouldn't bother him. Our other is a baby so he won't remember anything about the life we'd leave.

My questions are these:

Firstly. Has anybody ever just yanked up their roots and moved to an area of the country solely on account of past vacations or visits there?

Secondly. A year or so after the move, how did it live up to expectations?

Just my thought....it doesn't seem like a great idea.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Poplar Bluff really isn't all that its cracked up to be.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Damon@Sep 6 2005, 09:53 AM
        We just got back from our annual Labor Day short weekend vacation. We've done this about 11 out of the 13 years we've been married and every time on the drive back home, we talk about how nice it would be to live in this particular area. It's just a 2 1/2 hour drive from where we live now but it's a completely different atmosphere and pace of life. When we were first married there was no way we could pull up roots and move there for money reasons alone. Now, things are different and the move would be much simpler. We have kids but our 7 year old loves it there and he's young enough that the move shouldn't bother him. Our other is a baby so he won't remember anything about the life we'd leave.

My questions are these:

Firstly. Has anybody ever just yanked up their roots and moved to an area of the country solely on account of past vacations or visits there?

Secondly. A year or so after the move, how did it live up to expectations?
        My wife and I moved to Louisville and got married there. The school district was good, we both found jobs right away. Lots of family in town. It was nice.

A year later found both my wife and I out of work (laid off on the exact same day, in fact (1/15). I wound up working at Kroger while searching for another programming job, however, the market for Java programmers in Louisville was pretty weak. In May, I gave up and took a job back here in St Louis, while my wife, now 4 weeks preggers, and older daughter stayed behind until I had made enough to pay down our debt and find a place to live. They were finally able to move back in late July.

We have never considered moving again.

Comment

I'm with you.

When we visit our favorite places we think, "it wouldn't be too tough to move here."

We've never acted upon it.

I suspect that the reason we feel that way is that we're on vacation, so we have more time to do things. If you lived there you'd be working and it wouldn't feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Sep 6 2005, 08:58 AM
            Poplar Bluff really isn't all that its cracked up to be.

Moon
            Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Sep 6 2005, 10:03 AM
              I'm with you.

When we visit our favorite places we think, "it wouldn't be too tough to move here."

We've never acted upon it.

I suspect that the reason we feel that way is that we're on vacation, so we have more time to do things. If you lived there you'd be working and it wouldn't feel the same.
              Every time we go anywhere on vacation or even to college towns with the kids I think about what it would be like to live here or there but never actually did it. I think about Las Vegas quite often as a retirement home someday. The wife says we have to at least stay where one of our two kids ends up. I want to get away from the cold of winter so I hope they both end up in some warm place.
              RIP Stan the Man
              The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
              I miss TLR!

Comment

Grote can never find another locale with a satisfatory local library AND reliable electrical service.

Moon

Comment

Moving is a pain...but when I did it, it was for all the right reasons - mainly starting over. Completely made our lives better because of it. Now the next move will be into a house, in the same area we are in.
                  Feb. 08, 2005
                  Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                  Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                  Originally posted by Airshark
                  NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Vacation breeds a different mindset.
                    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

I think a lot hinges on the type of work you do and your overall financial situation.

We have considered it but the areas we have been that we would want to move to for climate and lifestyle reasons either have exorbitant housing costs or a poor job market for my field...or both.

Once I can buy a home that we would want to live in for cash with no mortgage at all...I'll probably do it. One keep the lights on and food on the table tending bar or whatever.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

My wife wants to move every time we go on vacation. It doesn't matter where we go on vacation, she wants to move there. We haven't done it for a couple of different reasons.

1 - Unless you can keep you current job, finding work might be a problem
                        2 - Family is hard to leave behind (grandparents, etc). You don't realize how much you need them until you don't have them around.
                        3 - great vacation destinations rarely have good schools.
                        4 - cost of living is very low in St. Charles

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan@Sep 6 2005, 12:23 PM

4 - cost of living is very low in St. Charles

Compared to many places you can extend that to entire St Louis area.
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                          X