• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armstrong, Crow to get hitched

Updated: Sep. 5, 2005, 11:09 PM ET
    Armstrong, Crow announce engagement
    Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong and rock star Sheryl Crow are engaged.

The cyclist announced the engagement in a statement and said he asked Crow on Wednesday while they were in Sun Valley, Idaho.

No wedding date has been set, although it could be a spring wedding, Armstrong spokesman Mark Higgins said Monday night.

Armstrong retired in July after winning his seventh straight Tour de France.

The marriage will be the second for Armstrong, who has three children with ex-wife Kristin. It will be the first for Crow.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

WTF???
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

It's hard to decipher matters of love, but his ex-wife stood with him when he was given a small chance to live, and her reward was to be ditched when he became famous.

Must be tough..
      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 6 2005, 12:14 AM
        It's hard to decipher matters of love, but his ex-wife stood with him when he was given a small chance to live, and her reward was to be ditched when he became famous.

Must be tough..
        Actually, they had a very amicable separation and divorce, and Lance and his ex-wife Kristin have both said that in some ways they're closer now and better friends than they were as husband and wife.

Oh and by the way: the new Sheryl Crow record is just knocking my freaking socks off. There's maybe no other artist for whom I've come around on like Ms. Crow. First album? Awful, awful stuff. Can't stand it. Any of it. Second album comes out, and I remember the joke around Euclid Records (remembering the Best New Artist Grammy Curse) was "hope she invested well"...but then the record got a few spins in-store, and I really liked some of it.

I still remember hearing "Globe Sessions", her third album for the first time and thinking "holy shit, she's turned into a female version of Jon Brion." (That's a pop geek reference, but it's a very, very good thing). I think that disc might be the best multi-platinum record to come out in the last 5-6 years. Even if her last one left me a little flat, I'm still a fan...

...and Lance is a lucky bastard.
        I like cheese.

Comment

i thought he met her after his chemotherapy

let me try that again, i'm pretty sure they met after his chemotherapy, he found out in 96 but returned to cycling in 97, the same yr he met his ex. keeping up with someone else's life, now that's tough!

Comment

Originally posted by triggercut1@Sep 6 2005, 02:25 AM
            ...Oh and by the way: the new Sheryl Crow record is just knocking my freaking socks off. There's maybe no other artist for whom I've come around on like Ms. Crow. First album? Awful, awful stuff. Can't stand it. Any of it. Second album comes out, and I remember the joke around Euclid Records (remembering the Best New Artist Grammy Curse) was "hope she invested well"...but then the record got a few spins in-store, and I really liked some of it.

I still remember hearing "Globe Sessions", her third album for the first time and thinking "holy shit, she's turned into a female version of Jon Brion." (That's a pop geek reference, but it's a very, very good thing). I think that disc might be the best multi-platinum record to come out in the last 5-6 years. Even if her last one left me a little flat, I'm still a fan...

...and Lance is a lucky bastard.
            One night at the Deja Vu in... 1983-ish, I meet a girl, buy her a drink, and go upstairs to check out the band. It was a typical college town band from that time with a female lead singer. We had been watching them for 2 minutes when a fight broke out, which turned into a little mini brawl in front of the stage. In all the excitement, a beer bottle flies through the air and hits the girl singer. I didn't see it, but the girl I was with said the bottle hit her in the face. As the bouncers came from all directions to squelch the situation, the girl and I took off and I never thought much about it.

Flash forward to the late 90's and I'm reading a Rolling Stone article on Sheryl Crow, about how she has the "sexiest mouth in rock and roll," when the writer related a story about her having her front teeth knocked out while playing at a bar in Columbia while a student at MU in the early eighties..

Now, I don't know if was her for sure, but what are the odds?
            But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 6 2005, 12:14 AM

Must be tough..
              ++

Never understood or understand this phenomenon. Then again, it's not my love life. But I've always found it strangely cruel and unusual after all she helped him endure, not to mention endured herself.

Sort of stands "For better, for worse" on its head. But again, I certainly do not know the entire story. However, I've seen and read interviews with her, and it is easy to tell she remains desperately in love with Lance. So, Trigs assertions (while probably true), don't tell the entire story.
              "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

I thought his ex was the nurse who cared for him throughout his chemo treatments?

Maybe Lance felt that his training and racing routine put such a strain on family life that he decided it was best if she didn't feel obliged to "stand by her man" and put her life on the back burner while Lance did what he wanted to do.

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove+Sep 6 2005, 08:58 AM-->
                  QUOTE(slow groove @ Sep 6 2005, 08:58 AM)

Originally posted by BlueBrained+Sep 6 2005, 08:09 AM-->
                  QUOTE(BlueBrained @ Sep 6 2005, 08:09 AM)
                  Originally posted by slow [email protected] 6 2005, 08:58 AM

I wish a rich woman would use me for 8-10 years and then throw me over for some 40-something dude, and leave me a check for a bazillion dollars on the kitchen counter.

Moon

Comment

Updated: Sep. 6, 2005, 3:37 PM ET
                    Armstrong considering return from retirement
                    Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- Retired life is nice, but Lance Armstrong says he thinking about making a comeback.

Recently engaged to rocker girlfriend Sheryl Crow, Armstrong issued a statement Tuesday confirming that he's contemplating a return to competitive cycling.

"While I'm absolutely enjoying my time as a retired athlete with Sheryl and the kids, the recent smear campaign out of France has awoken my competitive side," Armstrong said. "I'm not willing to put a percentage on the chances but I will no longer rule it out."

Armstrong, who will turn 34 this month, retired in July after winning his seventh consecutive Tour de France and declared "I'm finished."

He said he wanted to spend a few days "with a beer, having a blast" with time dedicated to playing with his three children.

But he's also spent the last two weeks angrily denying reports by the French newspaper L'Equipe that said tests showed he used a performance-enhancing blood booster in the 1999 tour.

Armstrong first hinted of a comeback in an interview Monday with the Austin American-Statesman. An Armstrong spokesman on Tuesday said the comments were a joke, but within hours, the cyclist confirmed it was possible.

"I'm thinking it's the best way," to anger the French, he told the newspaper. "I'm exercising every day."

L'Equipe reported on Aug. 23 that tests showed Armstrong used banned blood booster EPO during the 1999 tour. He has strongly denied the drug allegations.

Armstrong's comments seemed to surprise officials with his Discovery Channel team.

"That to me sounds very Lance-like. It leaves things open and the motivation seems pretty clear. He is immensely proud of his reputation," team manager Dan Osipow said.

Osipow said the team will soon evaluate its roster for the 2006 season.

"He owns part of the team. If there's a certain rider from Texas who wants to join the team, we'll have space," Osipow said.

"Lance was pretty definitive when he announced his plans for retirement. But circumstances change. Who knows?" Osipow said. "I leave that to him. We all know he planned on staying fit."

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

This thread is useless without naked pictures of Kennett, MO's finest performer.

Comment

Lance, like most other retired athletes, realizes, what the fuck I am going to do during the day?
                        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

That would be awesome!!

I hope he beats those pussies again.

Comment

Working...
                          X