• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Rice makes it official...

Jerry Rice retires from football

By EDDIE PELLS, AP Sports Writer
    September 5, 2005
    DENVER (AP) -- Unwilling to be a bit player with the Broncos, Jerry Rice retired Monday, closing a 20-year career for the most productive receiver in NFL history.

Rice, 42, made his decision over the weekend at home in San Francisco, then returned to Broncos headquarters and met with coach Mike Shanahan. He played 20 NFL seasons.

``This is a happy day,'' he said. ``I think the tears that you see basically is that I have really enjoyed this ride.''

Shanahan confirmed what Rice already knew -- that he would be a fourth or fifth receiver, at best this season -- and Rice confirmed what many figured -- that he would rather call it quits than be a bit player with the Broncos.

Rice signed with Denver over the summer, reuniting with Shanahan, who was his offensive coordinator in the 1990s in San Francisco. For Rice, the idea was to play for a coach who was familiar with him and for a team that could help him go out a winner.

Shanahan made it clear he would not promise Rice anything, not even a roster spot. Behind the scenes, though, Shanahan said he knew it would never come down to him having to cut the league's best all-time receiver: He figured if Rice knew it was time to go, he would step aside himself.

Early in training camp, Rice moved into Denver's third receiver spot and things looked promising. In retrospect, the promotion was more a reflection on Darius Watts, who struggled catching the ball, but improved as the preseason went on.

By the time preseason ended, Rice had only four catches for 24 yards and had been pushed back down the depth chart. As expected, he wasn't released when the Broncos announced their final round of cuts Saturday, but he was already in the Bay Area deciding his future.

His agent, Jim Steiner, has said if Rice retired this time, he would not try to come back with another team. If that's so, Rice will close his career with 38 NFL records, including those for career receptions (1,549), yards receiving (22,895) and touchdowns receiving (197).
    My favorite player of all-time...sad to see him go, but it was time...

I wonder if he'll end up in the broadcast booth at some point...
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

He probably should have hung em up a couple years ago.

By far the greatest WR ever though.
    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I never saw Jim Brown play but I can't imagine he was a better player than Jerry Rice.

Comment

See ya in Canton and thanks for the memories Jerry....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Sep 5 2005, 01:55 PM
          I never saw Jim Brown play but I can't imagine he was a better player than Jerry Rice.

I wouldn't go that far but I'd rank Rice in the top 5 players ever.
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Sep 5 2005, 02:39 PM
            He probably should have hung em up a couple years ago.

By far the greatest WR ever though.
            I would say that he never should have left San Fran, but he did put up decent #s in black and silver.

Comment

Originally posted by i.am.js+Sep 5 2005, 02:14 PM-->
              QUOTE(i.am.js @ Sep 5 2005, 02:14 PM)

Originally posted by TTB+Sep 5 2005, 11:57 AM-->
              QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 5 2005, 11:57 AM)

It's about time. His cornrows were receding badly.
              Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

about time. now sign that one-day contract and retire in crimson and gold where you belong, and get ready for the hall of fame.
                Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

So many records but the one he has that boggles the mind for me is the straight games with a catch.
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Sep 5 2005, 04:14 PM
                    So many records but the one he has that boggles the mind for me is the straight games with a catch.
                    For me, it's the touchdowns. 207 of them. That's 32 more than the next best player, Emmitt Smith with 175 (and no one else besides those two even has 150) and 77 more than the next best receiver, Cris Carter with 130. It's truly amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar+Sep 5 2005, 06:25 PM-->
                      QUOTE(devaskar @ Sep 5 2005, 06:25 PM)

Jim Brown's last year in the league he was #1 in rushes, rushing yards, rushing TDs, yards from scrimmage, and total TDs.

He was a Pro-Bowler in every year he played in the NFL.

The man averaged over 5 yards per carry for his career, and averaged 9.5 yards per reception.

Brown > Rice

Comment

Originally posted by 210@Sep 5 2005, 04:46 PM
                        Jim Brown's last year in the league he was #1 in rushes, rushing yards, rushing TDs, yards from scrimmage, and total TDs.

He was a Pro-Bowler in every year he played in the NFL.

The man averaged over 5 yards per carry for his career, and averaged 9.5 yards per reception.

Brown > Rice
                        Jim Brown also played running back as opposed to wide receiver. Running the ball is less dependent on the actions of others than catching the ball is.

Plus, if Jim Brown had been capable of playing for 20 years, the odds of him continuing to be an elite player as he approached year 20 is virtually zero. Rice was a Pro Bowler at the age of 39, the leading receiver on a passing-based team that went to the Super Bowl.

Comment

Working...
                        X