No announcement yet.

Busted for peer-to-peer file sharing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted for peer-to-peer file sharing..

I googled this and HBO has been sending several of these emails around for their shows..

Dear Customer,

We are writing on behalf of Cox Communications to advise you that we have received a notification that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet service to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a complainant's members. We have included a copy of the complaint letter. Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which is codified at 17 U.S.C. § 512, upon receiving such notification, Cox is required to "act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to" the infringing material in order to avoid liability for any alleged copyright infringement. Accordingly, Cox will suspend your account and disable your connection to the Internet within 24 hours of your receipt of this email if the offending material is not removed.

Please be aware that the DMCA also provides procedures by which a subscriber accused of copyright violation can respond to the allegations of infringement and, under certain circumstances, cause his or her account to be reinstated. To do so, however, the response must meet certain criteria. Pursuant to section (g) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. § 512(g)), you have the right to submit to Cox a counter-notification which, to be effective, must include the following elements:

(a) a physical or electronic signature of the subscriber;
    (B) identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or disabled;
    © a statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled;
    (d) the subscriber’s name, address, and telephone number and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located.

In the event that you submit to Cox a counter-notification that includes these elements, Cox will forward your counter notification to the complainant and advise them that Cox will cease disabling access to the allegedly infringing material in ten (10) business days. Unless the complainant notifies us that it has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in the allegedly infringing activity prior to the expiration of those ten (10) business days, Cox will reactivate your account.

For answers to frequently asked questions, please follow the link below:

http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/conte...b9-618ea54d1791

Sincerely,

Cox Customer Security

--- Original Message ---

------=_NextPart_00e735450105c107d5
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BFMonday, September 05, 2005

Cox Communications, Inc.
    1400 Lake Hearn Drive, NE
    Atlanta, GA 30319 US

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Television Program Entitl=
    ed
    Entourage

Dear DMCA Agent:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Home Box Office, Inc. ("HBO").

We have received information that an individual has utilized the above-refe=
    renced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of copyrigh=
    ted television program(s) through a "peer-to-peer" service, including such =
    title(s) as:

Entourage

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted television programs =
    constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United=
    States Code Section 106(3). =20

Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the follo=
    wing:

1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct describe=
    d above; and
    2) Take appropriate action against the account holder (if other than the in=
    dividual whose access has been disabled) under your Abuse Policy/Terms of S=
    ervice Agreement.

On behalf of HBO, owner of the exclusive rights to the copyrighted material=
    at issue in this notice, we hereby state, that we have a good faith belief=
    that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by =
    HBO, its respective agents, or the law.

Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, under the laws of the Stat=
    e of New York and under the laws of the United States, that the information=
    in this notification is accurate and that we are authorized to act on beha=
    lf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in thi=
    s notification.

Please direct any end user queries to the following address:

Steve Rosenthal
    Legal Department
    Home Box Office, Inc.
    1100 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10036
    212.512.1780 =E2=80=93 phone
    212.512.5854 =E2=80=93 fax
    [email protected] =E2=80=93 email

Kindly include the Case ID 88121312, also noted above, in the subject line =
    of all future correspondence regarding this matter.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this ma=
    tter. Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
    Director of Enforcement
    MediaSentry, Inc.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Reb,

Did you get one of those emails?
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Yes, that was directed to me.
      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 5 2005, 03:00 PM
        Evidently you are a man for others all right.

j/k
        RIP Stan the Man
        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
        I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 5 2005, 03:00 PM
          WOW that was to you?

Were you downloading or sharing?
          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks+Sep 5 2005, 06:46 PM-->
            QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 5 2005, 06:46 PM)

W/ the new TV season coming up, the way that networks respond to what amounts to free, OTA, shows will be very interesting.

Personally, last season I obtained many shows via torrent in their HDTV format that were, indeed, free OTA shows.

I think I am safe in that regard, though no one knows for sure, I suppose.
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

So what are they going to do to you?
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Nothing. I had to delete the file.

I wasn't about to file a counter-claim, turning over my name, address, telephone and federal jurisdiction.

I would imagine I'm more likely to be sued if HBO decides to go that route, however.

Comment

I think they are fucking stupid.

Take Prison Break for instance, had I not downloaded the torrent and watched it I wouldn't now be hooked and going to watch it every Monday.

These people shoot themselves in the foot every time they get close to a gun.

And they are not smart enought to charge 5 bucks per download on their own servers. Or something anyway.

Comment

Let me get this straight...someone stole copyrighted material and is crying because he got caught? Gee, what is this country coming too?

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
                    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
                    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

He isn't crying, he is providing the service of letting others know it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Sep 5 2005, 11:51 PM
                        He isn't crying, he is providing the service of letting others know it happened.
                        My mistake...carry on with your thievery!

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
                        Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
                        Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

Originally posted by Rdog3933+Sep 5 2005, 11:54 PM-->
                          QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Sep 5 2005, 11:54 PM)

Originally posted by madyaks+Sep 5 2005, 08:58 PM-->
                          QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 5 2005, 08:58 PM)
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2005, 11:54 PM
                        Working...
                        X