No announcement yet.

Bush picks Roberts to be chief justice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bush, with low standing in the polls, might not have the political capital he would need to win a Senate battle over a conservative ideologue who would draw intense opposition.
    "Let me put it to you this way: I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it. It is my style."

"I've got will of the people"

"I'll reach out to everyone who shares our goals."

---- Dubya, Nov. 5, 2004

"Consider it spent."

---- moedrabowsky, Sept. 5, 2005
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Gee, who'd a thunk it...
      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Woah.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Comment

Nah. This is likely to be an easier sale than Roberts replacing O'Connor.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Sep 5 2005, 09:57 AM
              Nah. This is likely to be an easier sale than Roberts replacing O'Connor.

Moon
              ++

Trading Roberts for Rehnquist is an easy move. If anything, Roberts may be a bit more moderate than Rehnquist.

The real fight could come with his next pick.
              Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Isn't that a bit of a slap in the face to those who have served on the bench?

I don't really like it.
                Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Blues@Sep 5 2005, 10:10 AM
                  Isn't that a bit of a slap in the face to those who have served on the bench? 

I don't really like it.
                  It's typical though.

Howard Taft, Earl Warren, Warren Burger and most other Chief Justices were also named to the Supreme Court and nominated in that position. Rehnquist was elevated to that position from Associate Supreme Court Justice to replace the retiring Chief Justice. A sitting justice would need to be re-confirmed as Chief Justice. If he/she is rejected they return to the bench as an Associate.

John Paul Stevens, the current senior justice, will take over as Chief until the confirmations.
                  Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan+Sep 5 2005, 11:07 AM-->
                    QUOTE(hkyfan @ Sep 5 2005, 11:07 AM)

So, in a sense, Roberts would be CJ for ~35 - 40 years if he is in good health.

Is that what we really want?

Comment

Its the Constitution.

Does it matter?

Futhermore, the Chief Justice position is largely a symbolic spot. They lead the discussions behind closed doors and they decide who writes the decisions, but they have no more or less power than any either justice.
                      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Yeah, you guys will have to save the big lies and smears for the next nominee.
                        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Makes it easier to replace O'Conner with another woman

Do we dare to hope that in the light of disaster in NO that the usual grandstanding and partisian antics can be avoided?
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

No way.

These are liberals you're talking about.
                            And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Working...
                            X