Survival kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival kit?

I'll be the first to admit, those survivalists have always struck me as kooks, but maybe they're going to have the last laugh someday with today's political climate and ever-present potential for natural disasters.

I haven't filled up the water bottles or thought about canned goods or other non-perishables for some time now. 2001 was the last time it came to mind.

1990 and Iben Browning before that.

In a worst-case scenario, say a 7.5 earthquake or worse from the New Madrid fault...or other major disaster.

If we survive the quake or bomb or whatever else, it's extremely likely that we'll face similar challenges for survival.

What's your Top 10? I doubt I'll really follow up on any of this stuff, but it got me to thinking.

1. Water

2. Extensive first aid kit, including toiletries

3. Matches

4. Canned goods

5. Weber grill, pots, pans, charcoal

6. Heavy clothing, blankets

7. Rifle, revolver, ammo, small animal traps, knives

8. Firewood

9. Bicycle or other mode of non-fuel transport

10. Batteries, radio

10a. Liquor (we're going to need it)

I can never keep enough in stock. That's going to be a problem.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

I will loot Dirt Cheap if/when the earthquake comes. I want the head of the chicken and cases of beer and bourbon.

Comment

If my supply of Anal Lube runs out...........Hell on Earth

Comment

I will also need a stable of Asian girls.

Comment

Good post. I felt the same way before I saw how quickly New Oreleans feel into disarray.

Given the response by the authorities, I am now convinced that you can pretty much make it through anything short of a nuclear detonation with a week's worth of food and water, a really good first aid kit and a gun.

Other things you should add would be a generator, shortwave radio, am radio and flashlights.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepatitis Dispenser@Sep 4 2005, 11:37 PM
              If my supply of Anal Lube™ runs out...........Hell on Earth
              Quit bragging.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote+Sep 4 2005, 11:39 PM-->
                QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 4 2005, 11:39 PM)

Originally posted by The Skeptic@Sep 4 2005, 08:32 PM
                I'll be the first to admit, those survivalists have always struck me as kooks, but maybe they're going to have the last laugh someday with today's political climate and ever-present potential for natural disasters.

I haven't filled up the water bottles or thought about canned goods or other non-perishables for some time now. 2001 was the last time it came to mind.

1990 and Iben Browning before that.

In a worst-case scenario, say a 7.5 earthquake or worse from the New Madrid fault...or other major disaster.

If we survive the quake or bomb or whatever else, it's extremely likely that we'll face similar challenges for survival.

What's your Top 10? I doubt I'll really follow up on any of this stuff, but it got me to thinking.

1. Water

2. Extensive first aid kit, including toiletries

3. Matches

4. Canned goods

5. Weber grill, pots, pans, charcoal

6. Heavy clothing, blankets

7. Rifle, revolver, ammo, small animal traps, knives

8. Firewood

9. Bicycle or other mode of non-fuel transport

10. Batteries, radio

1. I have one of those water cooler things at my house and have water delivered weekly. So at any given time there is about 3 full 5 gallon jugs at my house.

2. I always have a variety of over the counter medicines at home and a regular first aid kit.

3. I have several lighters around the house.

4. I think I have a couple cans of pork and beans from about 1997.

5. I have a propane powered grill on the back deck.

6. I have both heavy clothes and blankets.

7. There is a loaded 9 mm in my nightstand drawer.

8. No firewood.

9. I have a mountain bike.

10. I have batteries and a radio, not sure if they are the right size for that radio.

I think I'd live for a while in the event of a natural disaster. But I wouldn't know for how long.
                Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.

Comment

Joker:

You seem like you're in the top percentile.

If it's a global event though, that phrase comes to mind:

"The living will envy the dead."

Comment

I toughed out two hurricanes in the past. One was really bad (Fran in 96) as it was a Cat 3 when it hit. I was in a rock solid building so I knew I was fine there. Some of my supplies included:

flashlights, candles, matches, flashlights, batteries, radio on battery power, plenty of dry food and water, decks of cards, and a shitload of booze. The party for Fran was great. I played in a marathon spades match.
                    Sponsor of:
                    Brian Elliott
                    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeptic@Sep 4 2005, 09:04 PM
                      Joker:

You seem like you're in the top percentile.

If it's a global event though, that phrase comes to mind:

"The living will envy the dead."

I remember back in the early 80's, 82 or 83 maybe??? St. Louis got hit by that huge snow storm. Something like 3 feet. I was only about 9 but I remember my mom and dad freaking out. Guess that had some kind of an impact. I have always had the "what if" thing in the back of my mind.
                      Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Joker+Sep 5 2005, 12:09 AM-->
                        QUOTE(Joker @ Sep 5 2005, 12:09 AM)

I remember back in the early 80's, 82 or 83 maybe??? St. Louis got hit by that huge snow storm. Something like 3 feet. I was only about 9 but I remember my mom and dad freaking out. Guess that had some kind of an impact. I have always had the "what if" thing in the back of my mind.
                        February of 1982.

I was 12 at the time.

Over at a buddy's on a Saturday night, and it started snowing. We all went outside at about 11, and it was thundering, and there was lightning.

I had never seen that before in February, during a snow storm.

We had about 2 feet of snow in the next 12 hours.

I shoveled snow for the next 48 hours or so, with about 6 hours of sleep.

Made a shitload of money, or what seemed like it, back then.

I woke up on the second day, and I could barely move my fingers.

We spent a lot of time at the local pizza parlor on the corner of Olive and Woodsmill, Goomba's, for the next couple of days, playing Pac Man and enjoying our earnings and what turned out to be 10 days off of school. :P

One of those great childhood memories.

Comment

Fishing Rod
                          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                          X