Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting Cy Young vote presents challenge

First off, the lede from the game story:

Chris Carpenter had no interest in discussing the Cy Young Award he likely sealed Saturday night against the Astros at Minute Maid Park. With five starts remaining, the St. Louis Cardinals dominant righthander found it too early to talk about accolades.

Then, a notebook:

BASEBALL NOTEBOOK
    Casting Cy Young vote presents real challenge
    Pujols, Taveras are easier choices for NL awards
    By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Fortunately, I don't have a National League Cy Young Award vote this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

My colleagues Brian McTaggart and Neil Hohlfeld have that taskfor the Houston chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Every NL city has two votes for each NL BBWAA award.

I honestly don't know how you don't vote for Roger Clemens or how you don't vote for St. Louis' Chris Carpenter.

And let's not forget that Florida's Dontrelle Willis also is having a great season.

I have the easy task of voting for NL Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year Awards, races in which Albert Pujols of the Cardinals and Willy Taveras of the Astros have distinguished themselves with consistent excellence.

The BBWAA encourages its voters not to divulge their votes before the awards are given out in November, so I cannot completely say who I would vote for. I'm just saying that in my mind, Pujols is the clear MVP, and Taveras is the clear Rookie of the Year.

You'd have to put Morgan Ensberg, Andruw Jones and Derrek Lee in the MVP top five, and this is the year you can definitely make a case for Car-
    penter and Clemens to make the top five in the MVP race.

Back to the Cy Young race.

Clemens, who already has seven Cy Youngs, has been amazing in his 22nd season, posting a 1.57 ERA. In any other year, you'd have to give it without a question to Carpenter, who already has 20 wins and may finish with 24 or 25.

Nonetheless, Willis should not be forgotten. He collected his 19th victory on Friday. In a crucial game with wild-card implications, Willis held the Mets to two runs over 8 1/3 innings, adding a 2-for-4 performance at the plate. Now if only somebody can tell him he's too valuable to slide headfirst into home, which is what he did to score a run on Friday.

Willis (19-8, 2.55 ERA) employed the same headfirst slide against the Astros in spring training, proving the type of competitor he is.

"Dontrelle Willis I'm going to describe in one word: He is phenomenal," teammate Carlos Delgado told the Palm Beach Post. "He loves to help the ballclub, and as tough as it is to watch when he dives headfirst, it only shows you what kind of intensity he brings to the game."

Willis could also finish the season with around 24 victories, making it impossible for voters to forget him.

"It's something I can't fathom. It's historical," he told the Palm Beach Post. "Hopefully, I can get there. If I do, that means we're winning ballgames. Like I've said, I'm just doing what it takes for us to be there in October."
    Dude. Can. Fly.

What a shitty, say-nothing-that-we-all-don't-already-know article.

Are you sure you didn't take this from the Post-Dispatch?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Carpenter has to keep winning to win the Cy Young.

The media is looking for a reason not to give to Carp. First it was Clemens with the great ERA but he fell to far behind in wins. Now it is Willis who is close in wins, fairly close in ERA, and has the added appeal, to the writers, of having the dazzling smile and personality.

If Carp gets to 23 wins he has it sealed, if not, it is wide open. Shouldn't be but it is.
      Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome..... The only way to live.

Comment

Not many loyal Astro fans read the Chronicle sports...they suck biggg time.

Ortiz and Justice mostly just attack the Astros for not having enough black,left-handed,Jewish hot-dog venders or something like that,and ignore the game itself.

Dickheads

Comment

Originally posted by Argon@Sep 4 2005, 12:05 PM
          Not many loyal Astro fans read the Chronicle sports...they suck biggg time.

Ortiz and Justice mostly just attack the Astros for not having enough black,left-handed,Jewish hot-dog venders or something like that,and ignore the game itself.

Dickheads

Hey looks like some Astro fans are finally starting to post over here again

Comment

Originally posted by Argon@Sep 4 2005, 12:05 PM
            I'm outraged by this bigotry by the Astros.
            RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Clemens leaving after five last night said it all.

If he pitched into the 7th 8th and 9th consistently he'd get rocked.

It's between Carp and Willis now. Carp finishes strong, it's his.

Comment

I wonder if the people who thought Carp should win it over Clemens because of the wins total will think the same way if Willis can catch Carp?
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

One thing is for sure:

Taveras ain't winning a gold glove.

He is flat out terrible out there.

Even his speed does not make up for that.
                  Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Yeah,he sucks in the field.Willy has helped this year,but The Stros need a better long term Center Fielder.

I was there saturday...Carpenter was impressive....He should win the Cy-Young,barring about 4 straight losses or something.

Comment

He is 20-4.

20 and fucking 4.

I believe he is 12-0 on the road.

Why is there any doubt who the Cy Young winner is?

Because Roger is 60 years old? WTF cares?

They wont even admit he is good.
                      Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

I'm usually very careful not to overrate Cardinals in these award discussions simply because I see them more than guys on other teams. But I think, through Sept. 3, Carpenter should get it over Clemens.

Each has made 28 starts and it is Carpenter who has pitched 28 1/3 more innings. Carpenter has 22 more strikeouts and seven fewer walks. Carpenter has six complete games to Clemens’ one, four shutouts to Clemens’ none.

And I believe a telling fact is that Clemens has worked past the seventh inning just four times while Carpenter has done so 18 times. Perhaps if Clemens was capable of pitching a little deeper into the game, he would have a few more wins to show for his incredible ERA.

I'm not saying the Astros should be leaving Clemens in longer. If he's out of gas, he's out of gas. But shouldn't credit be given to someone who is capable of pitching effectively deeper into the game? Given to someone who doesn't run out of gas as quickly?

Like I said, I'm careful not to overrate Cardinals in these things...but at this point, it should be Carpenter.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Sep 4 2005, 09:14 PM
                          I'm usually very careful not to overrate Cardinals in these award discussions simply because I see them more than guys on other teams. But I think, through Sept. 3, Carpenter should get it over Clemens.

Each has made 28 starts and it is Carpenter who has pitched 28 1/3 more innings. Carpenter has 22 more strikeouts and seven fewer walks. Carpenter has six complete games to Clemens’ one, four shutouts to Clemens’ none.

And I believe a telling fact is that Clemens has worked past the seventh inning just four times while Carpenter has done so 18 times. Perhaps if Clemens was capable of pitching a little deeper into the game, he would have a few more wins to show for his incredible ERA.

I'm not saying the Astros should be leaving Clemens in longer. If he's out of gas, he's out of gas. But shouldn't credit be given to someone who is capable of pitching effectively deeper into the game? Given to someone who doesn't run out of gas as quickly?

Like I said, I'm careful not to overrate Cardinals in these things...but at this point, it should be Carpenter.

My feelings exactly.
                          *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

I heard a reporter from Houston say to Marecek that there are rumblings of hard feelings about Clemens among some players----because of the special treatment he gets.

I don't think there should be, because those were the conditions he demanded before he signed. But the fact according to the Houston writer is that there is a level of resentment among some of the less prominent players.

I do believe it should be a factor in the Cy Young voting. If the uninspired help he has gotten with his great era is an excuse to vote for him, then the demands that might have contributed to that lack of inspiration are something that makes him less a pitcher than Carpenter.
                            v

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Sep 4 2005, 07:29 PM
                              I wonder if the people who thought Carp should win it over Clemens because of the wins total will think the same way if Willis can catch Carp?

Willis is going to finish with 10 more wins with Carpenter?
                              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X