I need a smart person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a smart person

I'm just trying to delete a file off of my computer but it won't let me. it says that the file is in use or something and i know its not. I've done all I can think of but nothing works.

Any ideas?

And yes...i already have a mac so that is covered

What's the file?

Comment

just a graphics file i've had...its actually the colts logo. Adobe illustrator eps file.

Comment

Originally posted by 210@Sep 3 2005, 07:42 PM
        What's the file?

Yeah, that's improtant.

Some things don't necessarily "close" just because an application is closed. Or, it could be a file showing up in an active cache that the system is reading as "in use".

A reboot may solve the problem.

Or it could be a file that is used by the sytem (although in this instance, unless you're random selecting files to delete, I doubt that's the case)...
        " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by DBear@Sep 3 2005, 07:47 PM
          just a graphics file i've had...its actually the colts logo. Adobe illustrator eps file.

Did you use it for anything else at all that may be linking back to it from another location?
          " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

I don't know a thing about Adobe Illustrator...but I can't imagine why a graphic couldn't be deleted.

Comment

nope. nothing else is linking back to it. I've even gotten to the point where I want to just delete the folder but it wont let me delete the folder.

This is weird cause the folder just contains some logos in illustrator EPS format.

Comment

Have you tried moving it to a different folder and then deleting it?

Comment

cant move it at all.

Comment

From the Adobe site...

"When you resave an edited PDF file or AI file with PDF compatibility, Illustrator first writes a temporary file in the same folder as the original before saving changes to the original file. When the temporary file closes, Spotlight indexes the new file. Large files may require more time to index than smaller files.

Once Illustrator saves changes to the original file, it deletes the temporary file. However, if the temporary file is still being indexed by Spotlight, Illustrator can't delete the file as it appears to be open."

Not sure if that's what the deal is for you, but it's a start...I'll keep looking

Comment

The only other thing I can think of is that some part of Adobe is in the list of start-up programs (many programs do this if you don't specifically order them not to do so. Usually it's so that can do auto-updates), and somehow, all of its associated files are showing up as "in use" to the system.

Comment

Originally posted by 210@Sep 3 2005, 08:00 PM
                        From the Adobe site...

"When you resave an edited PDF file or AI file with PDF compatibility, Illustrator first writes a temporary file in the same folder as the original before saving changes to the original file. When the temporary file closes, Spotlight indexes the new file. Large files may require more time to index than smaller files.

Once Illustrator saves changes to the original file, it deletes the temporary file. However, if the temporary file is still being indexed by Spotlight, Illustrator can't delete the file as it appears to be open."

Not sure if that's what the deal is for you, but it's a start...I'll keep looking

Nice job, Sherlock.

If I had to bet on it, I'd say that's at the root of the problem.

Comment

damn...i didnt even think of checking adobe's site...I've just been googling

Comment

A couple places suggest using Windows Explorer to delete the whole folder, another suggested deleteing it in safe mode...either might be worth a try.

Comment

thanks 210 and for your help. I was able to delete the files.

Comment

Working...
                              X